What did you do to your car today?

droptop73

Great that it is going back together.

I have a yellow vert also but has decor group so not as much yellow. I have had people ask what year challanger it was, lol.

DSC_1058.JPG

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Posted (edited)
On 4/22/2021 at 7:19 PM, Sheriff41 said:

Bought a new drive belt for the 8 track player.  I'll install it and clean up the 8 track's internals this weekend.

Is this belt something that is easy to find? Not even sure if mine works (I need to find a tape and try). Working on getting under dash stuff back in. Steering gear installation as well is on the docket.

20210528_141149.jpg

Edited by cwalker509

Wisdom, knowledge and intelligence are three very different things.

1971 convertible, H-code, Ram Air

1971 Mach I, M-code, Ram Air

1972 Mexican GT-351

1988 Bronco II

Wacked together a transmission cradle from some scraps out of the dumpster at work. Only piece I "made" was to cut down a piece of 1" x .156" wall steel tube for the pivot post. Worked perfectly, took maybe ten minutes to remove the transmission rolling around on a creeper. 

transmission_cradle_down.jpg

transmission_cradle.jpg

8 hours ago, cwalker509 said:

Is this belt something that is easy to find? Not even sure if mine works (I need to find a tape and try). Working on getting under dash stuff back in. Steering gear installation as well is on the docket.

20210528_141149.jpg

The belt takes a bit of research to find.  I picked up a Motorola 72-2 1972 Ford Radio/Tape Player Service Manual that covered my 1MZ4218 (stamped on the back cover of the radio/tape player) radio.  It lists the belt part number that I cross referenced to a FBM12.1 belt from Elliot Electronic Supply in Tucson AZ.  Their website lets you cross reference part numbers.  The belt was $5.50.

I'm not sure the 1971 tape players use the same belt but there's a manual on fleabay that should list the part number:    https://www.ebay.com/itm/383718644086?hash=item595769d976:g:LjQAAOSwyKBfXlud 

Today i took the family for a 100 mile drive as a test drive for my Carlisle trip. All good! The wife didn't complain too much and my son napped all the way. Well, she only complained when i floored it but thats a "good" complain.

The one issue is that when i floor it i can smell axle gear. I saw some oil coming out of the bolt holding the rear brake splitter. I didn't know this guy went through all the way. I unscrewed it and put a lot of thread sealant to hopefully limit the amount of oil leaking out.

PS: listening to Stair Way to Heaven in my garage before closing up for the night.

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

I Have changed my oil -- new FRAM filter ... 10W40 Lucas with an Edelbrock zinc additive top up ... woohoo - one happy 351C  :thumb:

sig2.jpg

Enjoy's searching out 71-73 history

11 hours ago, tony-muscle said:

Today i took the family for a 100 mile drive as a test drive for my Carlisle trip. All good! The wife didn't complain too much and my son napped all the way. Well, she only complained when i floored it but thats a "good" complain.

The one issue is that when i floor it i can smell axle gear. I saw some oil coming out of the bolt holding the rear brake splitter. I didn't know this guy went through all the way. I unscrewed it and put a lot of thread sealant to hopefully limit the amount of oil leaking out.

PS: listening to Stair Way to Heaven in my garage before closing up for the night.

I believe you are referring to the hollow bolt that mounts the rear brake hose to the axle. That bolt doubles as the axle vent and normally includes a vent hose going into the crossmember above.

Stang1.jpg

Posted (edited)

Pretty much have the carb to E.F.I. swap done. It became more of a project than anticipated. Started with the Sniper 550 and an in-tank fuel pump but I discovered the GM style cap and coil on the aftermarket distributor was causing RF interference with the Holley computer. This resulted in massive fluctuations in the rpm signal. Fortunately, I was able to purchase a good used Holley dual spark distributor and a new coil. That took care of the problem. Haven't road tested it yet because the steering wheel is off as I wait for a new turn signal switch. One thing I discovered was the Holley unit would reboot when switching from crank back to run. Seems our ignition switches have a dead spot in them. Installed a delayed-off relay to take care of that.

EFI 1.jpg

EFI 2.jpg

Edited by computercarguy
  • Like 1
Stang1.jpg

8 hours ago, computercarguy said:

I believe you are referring to the hollow bolt that mounts the rear brake hose to the axle. That bolt doubles as the axle vent and normally includes a vent hose going into the crossmember above.

My rear axle has the breather and the bolt that holds the brake splitter in different spots.

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Fitting the reproduction hood.  Has to fool with the front edge a bit to get the trim to set in there right.  Currently working on the curvature making it match the fenders.  So far so good...

0EB700AC-8F9A-437C-A357-2B9F8BEB7DA9.jpeg

• Like 1

Did the quarter window roll-down change today. I got lucky on the drivers side window and it aligned pretty quick, the passenger window took about 20 minutes to get the window alignment correct. Really like this mod, now I just have to drill the window handle holes in my interior quarter panels. 

Tom

I made it back to North Idaho in mid-April after wintering in warmer climes.  I've been stuck with honey-do projects and a number of non-car projects which have kept me from working on the Mustang for the past 6+ weeks.  Finally with my head back above water I can get to what I really want to do!

Yesterday I pulled the gas tank and fuel lines.  The tank was corroded through on top but was not leaking.  I have no idea what the 25+ year old gasoline turned into after sitting for so long, but it was as thick as pancake syrup. 

The body metal above the tank is in surprisingly good shape.  Just very minor surface rust in a few spots.

Photos below:

Gas Tank (4).jpg

Gas Tank (2).jpg

Gas Tank (3).jpg

Gas Tank (1).jpg

• Like 1