Rear window molding removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alarmrick

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
351C-4V
I bought new molding last year for my 71 fastback. I saw it was kind of flimsy so I bought it to Safe-lite to install. The guy was hesitant about doing it because the trim was so soft. He said he would do it as a favor but he did not want to be responsible for it. Well it got bent during the install. I am going to try again this year doing it myself. My first question is , is this the proper molding removal tool? http://www.cjponyparts.com/window-molding-removal-tool/p/EW25077/ Any other tips are appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Rick

I bought new molding last year for my 71 fastback. I saw it was kind of flimsy so I bought it to Safe-lite to install. The guy was hesitant about doing it because the trim was so soft. He said he would do it as a favor but he did not want to be responsible for it. Well it got bent during the install. I am going to try again this year doing it myself. My first question is , is this the proper molding removal tool? http://www.cjponyparts.com/window-molding-removal-tool/p/EW25077/ Any other tips are appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Rick
It looks like it will work. The reproduction moldings are all junk. Way too soft and the corners are not formed correctly. If you get the second set on without bending them, using the OEM style clips, you will be the first person I know that has done it. I sent mine back and learned how to restore my original parts. It is some work but the results are worth it. I did the same with front glass moldings and drip rails.

...I sent mine back and learned how to restore my original parts. It is some work but the results are worth it. I did the same with front glass moldings and drip rails.
Chuck, Did you use a dremel with buffing attachment? I thought I'd try that method but you may know the secrets.

Alarmrick, the KD brand trim tool is 12.60 on amazon.com

You cannot use clips with the new rear window trim, I suggest using windshield adhesive like the new cars do.

The new front windshield trim is OK as it is stronger.

Don

You cannot use clips with the new rear window trim, I suggest using windshield adhesive like the new cars do.

Don
Hi Don,

Thanks for the info. That explains why even the pro had trouble with it. You saved me a lot of time and aggravation. Not to mention the molding itself is not real cheap.

Rick

Don
Hi Don,

Thanks for the info. That explains why even the pro had trouble with it. You saved me a lot of time and aggravation. Not to mention the molding itself is not real cheap.

Rick
Rick, I haven't used the KD tool but this is the tool I've used. Works great, just make sure you grasp the clip below where it clips over the trim (near the glass).

...I sent mine back and learned how to restore my original parts. It is some work but the results are worth it. I did the same with front glass moldings and drip rails.
Chuck, Did you use a dremel with buffing attachment? I thought I'd try that method but you may know the secrets.
Don, I did a write up on this some time ago but I can't seem to find it at the moment. Ill keep looking. Chuck

Don, Try this http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-any-secret-tips-for-rear-window-molding-installation?page=2&highlight=molding

Chuck

Last edited by a moderator:

Happy Thanksgiving,

Rick
Rick,

I can only underscore what Chuck and Don have already pointed out. It is next to impossible to install a set of repros with the original retainers without bending them. You ask how I know? Guess!!!

I went to three sets of repros. I killed the first set myself, the second set was bent by a socalled "pro". I finally found a place in near Munich called "The Autoglaser". The owner is relly knowledable in restoring vintage cars of all makes. He immediately pointed out that the trim was much to soft to be installed with the retainers. He suggested to glue in the trim instead. Actually, before gluing them in, he nearly ground down the ridge that snaps behind the retainers completely so it could be pressed in with very little force.

It worked perfectly and I'm happy now. But using the originals will save you a lot of trouble.

- Manfred

Even using originals it can be real chore to get any of the clip on trim moldings on. Especially with new clips. I went through this problem on the camaro even though we used the original trim. I personally don't like the idea of gluing on the trim since if you ever need to take it off you can bet your going to damage the paint in the process. The pro who installed my front windshield ended up cracking the new windshield in the process of installing the trim( Glad it was him & not me) I tried to tell him my process for installing the trim but he didn't want to listen. The second time around he listened. Here's what we did..The clip needs to "exercised" with a plastic trim tool in other words moved back & forth a bunch of times to soften it up..I then applied clear dielectric grease to every clip where the trim snaps in. Worked perfect ! We were able to lightly push on the trim (we had a soft towel rolled up over the trim where the clip is & pushed on the towel) & it clicked right in.

i wanted to use repops on my boss and ended up throwing them away because they were too soft. they just wouldn't fit! i ended up using my original ones that had a few scuffs here and there.

abudi

i wanted to use repops on my boss and ended up throwing them away because they were too soft. they just wouldn't fit! i ended up using my original ones that had a few scuffs here and there.

abudi
My original rear moldings were really beat up so I removed them and tried installing the repops (after Safelite wouldn't even try since they're so flimsy) but as everyone has noted, I couldn't do it without bending them so ended up putting the old beat up ones back on.

This time I'm looking at using windshield adhesive to attach a new set of repops. My question for those who have glued them on is what do you glue them to? The glass, rubber seal or the frame? I wouldn't think it would be the frame since it would destroy the paint if they had to be removed.

Jim

I believe Don has done this and will jump in with the how to. I don't think you can glue them in until the retaining clips have been removed. Chuck

Back