Hello from Phoenix Arizona 1972 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My Car
Current Vehicles:
2010 Mustang GT
2008 Lincoln Navigator
2007 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i 4x4
2006 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i 4x4
2003 Kawasaki Mean Streak 1500
1997 Mercedes SL500 AMG Roadster

Just wanted to introduce myself. Some members here may know me, I was referred by OLE PONY. Nice to see more 71-73 Mustang sites coming online! Hopefully this will get reproduction parts growing more. I sure could use some interior pieces! :D

Anyway I have a 72 Mach 1, still needs some work but runs really good for a car with 96k miles on it. I want to get to the restoration but frankly I cant afford it right now, and besides, once its restored its hard to enjoy it more. Right now I don't care if it gets rock chips, but its still presentable.

mymach.JPG

Hope this site does well! Its definitely a lot of work I know that for sure! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and Welcome I do believe the 7173 mustangs will make a big leap forward not just in restoration parts but in price and demand they were allways a bit of a black sheep enjoy.

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you aboard! Is your 72 gold glow?

WELCOME aboard!!

Nice '72 you have there!

Was curious about what appears to be your reference to a lack of interior parts. Having relatively recently completed the interior on my '73 Grande, I did not have any problems with interior parts - - other than paying for them :).

I believe (other than the fold down rear seats for the Sportsroof), everything is pretty much available. I redid carpet, seats, dash, head liner, and door panels. Also changed over the wiring to add the instrumentation panel to match that of my '73 MACH I.

Anyway, again welcome to the site!

BT

Thxs for the welcome. Yes the Mach 1 is Gold Glow. I wasnt sure you'd go for the user name. :)

The interior parts I'm looking for are the speaker pieces and obviously the pieces that are missing. I have a pair of black ones to replace the missing pieces, but finding good reproduction pieces for the speaker parts Ive been told do not fit correctly.

Overall these pieces are very brittle and rubbing on them produces like a fine dust. Any feedback would be appreciated with your experiences.

1515.gif1616.gif

I am not sure that I am properly addressing your needs but from the pictures I believe you are speaking of the Quarter Pillar Trim Panel for the Sportsroof.

If so, NPD carries it under part number 52018-2 in black, vermillion, dark blue. white, ginger and dark green. The listed price is $40.25.

Hope this helps!

BT

Thanks. I have the missing pieces in black. Do you know about the speaker pieces? regarding repops? Usually you need the sweeps as well and I do.I am not sure as to what you are referring to when you say speakers as it relates to the picture you posted. Are you referring to the panel or the actual speakers?

My '73 MACH I does not have the speakers in the panel under the rear window, like the one depicted in your picture. Mine is a clean panel and the speakers are in the front doors.

Of course, I am not a restorer so I don't know if yours is "factory original" or not. I am a firm believer in making it the way you want it - - as you own it.

That having been said, I am sorry I cannot provide any better information.

BT

The speakers were added long ago, when I first got the car they had Kraco speakers so that gives you an idea how old those are. I replaced them with some Pioneers since there were holes in them already.

Those Panels I would like to replace, mine are extremely brittle and Im afraid when I remove them they will just disintegrate. As it is now if I rub a cloth over them tons of powder falls off.

Have you purchased these panels as Repops? Do they fit well? Ive been told they suck and are not anywhere near correct.

ROCKETFOOT YOU NEED TO ADD QUOTES TO THE POSTINGS!

No, I have not purchased those panels for a Sports Roof. Fortunately, my MACH I interior is still "cherry." I did order panels for the Grande and those fit exceptionally well.

As you probably know, the Mustang Part Houses are carrying those pieces. Sorry that I cannot attest to how well they fit.

I will check with the guy who has a Mustang restoration shop here on tomorrow. I know he has done a number of 71 - 73 restoration and I would think that he should be able to address the issue.

I will post up after speaking with him!

BT

No, I have not purchased those panels for a Sports Roof. Fortunately, my MACH I interior is still "cherry." I did order panels for the Grande and those fit exceptionally well.

As you probably know, the Mustang Part Houses are carrying those pieces. Sorry that I cannot attest to how well they fit.

I will check with the guy who has a Mustang restoration shop here on tomorrow. I know he has done a number of 71 - 73 restoration and I would think that he should be able to address the issue.

I will post up after speaking with him!

BT
Great thxs definitely would like to have that answer. If possible need to also know who carry's the closest match to OEM.

Just visited "Ice" (my '73 Grande) at the Paint Shop. While there, I spoke with the "restoration guy" who confirmed the panels being available from a number of sources.

He also stated that all the ones he has replaced have had fitment issues and/or were of low quality.

Sorry.

BT

Hello, the fastback interior quarter panels are hard to find. The repro ones are BAD, only one company makes them.
I got a set in for the fastback and convertible when they came out about a year ago. Both sets are still in a box as I don't want to sell them.

Fastback ones, wrong front edge and too thin. Would never support a fold down seat.

Convertible ones won't fit without cutting / trimming, also have wrong front edge.

Also can't tell from you picture but there are 2 versions

71- early 72 no seat belt holes and late 72 - 73 with seat belt holes.

Panels under sail panels by rear window. Not being made, I sent samples to several manufacturers but no one wants to make them.

Don

The speakers were added long ago, when I first got the car they had Kraco speakers so that gives you an idea how old those are. I replaced them with some Pioneers since there were holes in them already.

Those Panels I would like to replace, mine are extremely brittle and Im afraid when I remove them they will just disintegrate. As it is now if I rub a cloth over them tons of powder falls off.

Have you purchased these panels as Repops? Do they fit well? Ive been told they suck and are not anywhere near correct.

ROCKETFOOT YOU NEED TO ADD QUOTES TO THE POSTINGS!
If you use this reply button:
postbit_quote.gif
It quotes the post like I just did.

BTW...love the gold glow! I just hope mine looks as good! I'm not going to have stripes on the coupe to break it up, though.

Gotcha on the quotes thingy. Mines totally different.

Personally I'd like to see some interior parts made in Avocado. I know it was not a very popular color interior but EVERY part of my interior is avocado. I replaced the front seats in the early 80's with 2 tone Medium green but the centers are way off. I did not replace the back seat at that time so I have a mismatched interior that I'd love to have fixed. In addition I can't replace the carpet or headliner easily. Oh well, I have bigger things to worry about in the next few months getting my beast running again.

This probably should be part of another thread, but...

Part of the problem is that Avocado apparently replaced medium green which was offered in 71 and 72. Per my source documents, Avocado was only offered in '73.

The Mustang Part houses do have (from what I can tell) the complete medium green interior, i.e. carpets, headliners, panels, visors, etc.

Food for thought?

BT

That is one of the things that had me VERY confused for a long time...actually until just about a year or so ago. I had always thought they threw together a green car and with "leftover" 71-72 med green interior parts. That's the reason that I have the Med Green front seats. I had never decoded my tags to discover that there was actually an avocado colorway until recently. Mac's Antique Auto Parts in NY is carrying avocado interior paint so maybe dye will follow.

The avocado green carpet and headliner is actually more like the Ivy Gold from the late 60's, while the Med green interior is dark green carpet and headliner etc as far as I know...but then I may be totally wrong on that too. There are so few med green or avocado interiors that it is hard to get a grip on. Now it your talking Black, White, Ginger they are a dime a dozen with some Red and Blue easier to find. Point is well taken tho.

You might want to order a "Marti Report" just to see how many were made in that combination.

It could address the rarity of your combination and perhaps influence you on how to proceed.

BT

Marti is def in my plans. I was never a gear head in school and let my grandfather the "master mechanic" do all my oil changes etc. Hey he liked doing it, I didn't, worked out well...till now LOL. He always told me "remember the XXX filter is NOT a 73, if you buy a 73 you'll just have to take it back and get a 72." Do you think I can remember what he was talking about? Hell no! I don't think it was as common as Air or Oil but there is defiantly something under that 73 hood that belongs under a 72 hood. I guess I'm going to find out very soon what that filter is and I don't think I'll be forgetting after that!

Sorry, I was thinking that same thing last night when I was posting LOL.

Ah its all good man. Just glad people are talking about Stangs!

Just wanted to introduce myself. Some members here may know me, I was referred by OLE PONY. Nice to see more 71-73 Mustang sites coming online! Hopefully this will get reproduction parts growing more. I sure could use some interior pieces! :D

Anyway I have a 72 Mach 1, still needs some work but runs really good for a car with 96k miles on it. I want to get to the restoration but frankly I cant afford it right now, and besides, once its restored its hard to enjoy it more. Right now I don't care if it gets rock chips, but its still presentable.

Hope this site does well! Its definitely a lot of work I know that for sure! :p
What is the color of your car? Is it Med Yellow Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back