bare block back

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 MACH 1
2019 F150
Got my engine back from to shop today. The crank was trashed and the cam. Also 3 lifters were mushroomed. My cam was a 298 with 83 overlap. pistons all gone but had 1 bad rod. Shopping for cam and crank kits to start the rebuild.. Should I re-ring it and replace valve springs?

X3.

I am a FIRM believer in getting the COMPLETE kit when replacing a camshaft. The springs should be "matched" to the camshaft as it relates to spring pressure. It just makes sense to use the kit, in my estimation.

BT

X4

Cams, lifters and springs should be matched for best results.

Any time a piston comes out of the bore new rings should be installed. Re-using rings is throwing good $$ after bad.

Can the crank be saved? Can it be ground? A reground crank is in many cases better than the aftermarket cranks unless you spend big bucks.

Have your rods reconditioned and new bolts installed while your at it.

Like was mentioned above, the wiser you are with your decisions now the longer you will be happy with the results.

Got my engine back from to shop today. The crank was trashed and the cam. Also 3 lifters were mushroomed. My cam was a 298 with 83 overlap. pistons all gone but had 1 bad rod. Shopping for cam and crank kits to start the rebuild.. Should I re-ring it and replace valve springs?
Hi Alan -

I've been shopping cams and related parts for a couple weeks, and definitely decided to go with the whole cam/springs/timing set/etc. complete kit. I found a Comp Cams kit that I really like for $315 delivered. I'd be happy to compare notes if you wish.

Doc

It would be unwise not to totally rebuild the engine at this point. Are you doing engine assembly or is the machine shop doing assembly? Component selection can be a challenge. The goal is to match all of the components to each other. The cross hatch pattern and finish on the cylinder walls is determined by the ring package being used. The ring manufacturer will specify the finish required to optimize sealing. Bearing type (racing or street) is determined by how the radius on the crank throws is finished (wide or narrow). When selecting the cam keep in mind what you really want to do with the car, bigger is not always better. Clevelands respond well to relatively high lift and relatively short duration camshafts. Patterns that favor the exhaust work well due to the huge flow rates of the intake runners (I'm assuming 4V heads) in relation to the exhaust flow rates. Regardless of what cam is selected, the other valve train components (springs, retainers, keepers, pushrods, rocker arms) must match. There are several low cost oiling modifications that can be done readily while the engine is apart. Do not use a high volume oil pump unless you increase oil pan capacity. Due to oiling system design (and pan capacity) at high RPMs the valve covers fill with oil, it can't drain back fast enough, the rods and mains starve, and catastrophic failure follows. Clevelands are great engine if properly built. If I can help, feel free to contact me.

Chuck

[email protected]

408C BLOCK.jpg

I want to thank everyone for the feedback, and will appreciate any and all suggestions to assist in my rebuild. At present I plan to do the work my self. Also would like to thank Chuck for his input because I was advised, and purchased a high volume oil pump already, and hope to return.. Crank was badly scored on all journals, so it's trashed. Also trying to spec. out what size rear is in the car not trusting original options, which so far are not current.

Alan

Hi Alan -

I've been shopping cams and related parts for a couple weeks, and definitely decided to go with the whole cam/springs/timing set/etc. complete kit. I found a Comp Cams kit that I really like for $315 delivered. I'd be happy to compare notes if you wish.

Doc
Hi Doc, would like to know what cam you choose?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Alan -

I decided to go with the Comp Cams Camshaft Kit (32-242-4) - incl lifters, springs, spring retainers, timing chain and gears, etc. I have the specifics on another computer at work. I found the cheapest set for $315. Just google the part number and you should be able to find it for a variety of prices. Definitely don't go Summit or E-Bay - both were asking $417 or more.

If you go to the Comp Cams website, it will provide the specs and driving description - again, sorry I don't have that here. Basically its 218/224 at .050 and 110 lobe separation, something like .510 lift for both intake and exhaust. In the future I'll have that info at hand.

Let me know if I can provide any more info - I'll have everthing available tomorrow (Mon).

I'm attaching an Excel spreadsheet that I'm putting together for my engine build. It's not complete yet, and I'm DEFINITELY not sure about the intake or carb, but I'm not to that point yet. Use or discard it as you see fit. :)

Doc

Engine Rebuild Spreadsheet.xls

Attachments

• Engine Rebuild Spreadsheet.xls
    19 KB · Views: 6
What are the specs for the cam? If the crank rod journals are damage it is very likely the big ends of the rods are no longer round, requiring them to be reconditioned (a good time to upgrade rod bolts as well). What are you going to use for a replacement crank? Are you considering doing the oiling modifications? Consider using a multiple key way timing chain set and have an experienced engine builder degree the cam. It is money well spent as several small errors in components (timing set, crank key way, cam) can add together to significantly alter cam timing and performance.

Chuck

Hi Alan -

I decided to go with the Comp Cams Camshaft Kit (32-242-4) - incl lifters, springs, spring retainers, timing chain and gears, etc. I have the specifics on another computer at work. I found the cheapest set for $315. Just google the part number and you should be able to find it for a variety of prices. Definitely don't go Summit or E-Bay - both were asking $417 or more.

If you go to the Comp Cams website, it will provide the specs and driving description - again, sorry I don't have that here. Basically its 218/224 at .050 and 110 lobe separation, something like .510 lift for both intake and exhaust. In the future I'll have that info at hand.

Let me know if I can provide any more info - I'll have everthing available tomorrow (Mon).

I'm attaching an Excel spreadsheet that I'm putting together for my engine build. It's not complete yet, and I'm DEFINITELY not sure about the intake or carb, but I'm not to that point yet. Use or discard it as you see fit. :)

Doc
Hi DOC, Thanks for the info and I like the spec,s on that cam kit. Where did you find that price, the best I found was $377 for the kit K32-242-4

Doc, I noticed gaskets listed as seperate pieces. A rebuild kit will probably be less expensive. Get a set with the neoprene 2 piece rear main seal.
Thanks, Jeff. I'll keep that in mind. I still have a lot of time to get everything lined up. As I get closer, I'll have a more complete shopping list.

Doc

Hey Alan -

Sorry, I was off on the quote for the cheapest kit.

Here are the three most economical sources I found for the kit:

K-Kit #K32-242-4 which includes cam, lifters, matched valve springs, valve springs retainers, valve locks, valve stem seals, timing chain set and assembly lube

K32-242-4

$359 SK32-242-4 - This is the one I'm thinking about.

$219* CL32-242-4

$189* Cam Only

http://www.flatlanderracing.com/compcams-ford11a.html

$373.99 http://www.race-mart.com/items/products/competition-cams/COCK32-242-4-detail.htm

$377.75 http://www.autopartsdealer.com/comp_cams_xtreme_energy_cam_and_lifter_kits_k32_242_4-p285862-p.html

Let me know which one you decide to go with, please.

Thanks,

Doc

Last edited by a moderator:
Back