Best long tube headers for the money

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTGSTANG

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible red/white interior. Engine: 302 V8 w/air, upgraded Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Petronix, Holly 600cfm carb, power windows.
Hey everybody!

I have been doing a lot of research on long tube headers for the 72 302. The thing is, I'm not sure if I should go with headers from a company that is less known rather than the Mustang "favorite" of Hooker Comp. I just don't know much about the other company offerings. Any other headers that offer good performance and fitting without breaking the preverbial bank? I don't need the super comps due my set up right of only an Edelbrock performer intake and 600 cfm carb. Plus the fact I still have the factory heads. Thanks to anyone who helps me out for some info.

For the money, the Hookers are the best, in my opinion. I have bought nothing but hookers for my personal cars.They have the best fit for sure and are made very well. I have used Headmans also,they are good also. Maybe not quite the quality, but they are a good choice also.

I purchased a set of hedman headers that were ceramic jet coated last year. They fit great andlooked great for about the first 9 months then they started to rust a little. I called hedman and they said send them back and they will replace them. They have a 5 year coating warranty and lifetime warranty on craftmanship. So I have to take my headers off and send them back, which sucks but atleast they are sticking behind their warranty. I love the look and sound of them and they were delivered to my door for just under 400. From Summit racing. Nice thick flanges and they have the ball and socket type collector which i really like. Hope this helps.

Kevin

You might look at Flowtech (Holley/Hooker owned). They have 1/8 smaller primary pipe size which should improve low to mid-range torque that should be helpful with a heavy car with a "highway" gear. Almost all headers will need to be modified/improved before they go on (clearances plug access, flange flatness). So, buy uncoated headers, fit/improve them, bolt down, and check everything including cycling the steering. Then, send them to be coated. I know you want something other than Hooker Comps but, I feel they are the best bang for the buck. WELL designed (primary lengths and diameter) tri-Y headers would work well for your application but they would be expensive. Chuck

Thanks for all the advice. I'm completely sold on the Hooker Comps.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm completely sold on the Hooker Comps.
Good for you! Only heard good things about them. I ran into problems with the cheapest model Headman headers had to offer for the 351C and swore I'd never buy another set. I should've gone with the Hooker Comps, but I decided to get the Flowmaster Ceramic Coated set for my 351C. Never installed them yet, so can't comment on how well they fit.

Hey C,

Good choice with the hooker comps. How's that roller block coming? I can bring the cam down on my next trip if you like...not sure when that is though just yet.

Back