Weekly Fun Question - Test Your 71-73 Mustang Knowledge

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Mach 1
1973 Mach 1
1973 Grande
1989 LX 5.0L
2003 Mercury Marauder
2015 Lincoln MKT
Good Day All!

For this week's Fun Question, I am going back to the interchangeability of body parts.

The question for this week is:

Please explain what issue has to be addressed in order to successfully use the doors on a 1972 Coupe for a 1973 Mach I.

Responses should be PM'd to me (and Rocketfoot). The author of the first correct PM received will be declared the "Winner" and will receive a very nice Icon to commemorate the success.

Results will be posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 at approximately 7:00 PM (CST).

Good Luck!

BT

Good Day All!

For the third week in a row, TNFASTBK was the first to submit the correct response to the question!! In fact, TNFASTBK was the only responder, so I guess the question for this week was not too easy, huh?

The doors on the '71 - '73 Mustangs are all interchangeable with each other. The only difference is in the door glass. The coupes and convertible glass is different from those of the fastback (to include the Mach Is). When swapping out doors, one has to change the glass as necessary.

With TNFASTBK correct response, the ICON for the correct response will once again go to TNFASTBK's signature - - GREAT job!!

BT

Cool, can we trade so many of these in for something better? Well guess if I was the only one playing my chances were good.

Was worried after 73vert called me out last week. :)

I don't think you were the only one playing. Based on the number of "views", you probably were the only one who thought he knew the answer:)!

You did good!

BT

I was looking for the question in the "Mustang Talk" section. I wouldn't have come up with the right answer, anyway.

i was busy :p

there is more to the glass though if you want to be correct on a 73 the window regulator is different and a big pain in da butt to service on the 73 :p

Congrats!

BT has donated a special VIP Membership to you as part of a bonus for winning 3 back to back challenges! I've upgraded your status to VIP and PM'd your new email account details!

:D

Well that's just great. Three gold stars in a row, and now a VIP membership to boot.

Say hello to 72fastback when you stop by the VIP lounge - he'll be the one with the fishbowl brandy snifter, scooping up the caviar with a monogrammed silver-plated rocker arm. :)

Please remember that the maroon velvet recliner has been reserved for me, as well as the leather ottoman next to the Keystone Light keg. :cool:

Congratulations again, Tennessee!

Doc

Cool, can we trade so many of these in for something better? Well guess if I was the only one playing my chances were good.

Was worried after 73vert called me out last week. :)
TNFSTBK Is this why I cannot get my drivers window adjusted. I have a 71 Mach, but the drivers door is off a 72. This is the way I bought the car.

Coilwire

I am not TNFASTBK but will respond anyway:).

It should not matter if your 72 door was from another Mach I (or Sports Roof) as it relates to using it on a 73 Mach I. The doors used in the different body styles uses the same ones throughout the 71 - 73 runs. The primary difference is in the windows that were used.

Think about it, the roof lines on the Mach Is (and fastbacks) are different from those found on the Coupes and Convertibles - - that is why the windows are different. The doors are the same because the bottom part of the car is the same on the Coupes (including Grade), Mach Is (including Sports Roofs) and the Convertibles.

If you used a '72 Mach I window within that 72 Mach I door, it (in of itself) should not be the cause of the adjustment problems on your door.

Hope this helps.

BT

I am not TNFASTBK but will respond anyway:).

It should not matter if your 72 door was from another Mach I (or Sports Roof) as it relates to using it on a 73 Mach I. The doors used in the different body styles uses the same ones throughout the 71 - 73 runs. The primary difference is in the windows that were used.

Think about it, the roof lines on the Mach Is (and fastbacks) are different from those found on the Coupes and Convertibles - - that is why the windows are different. The doors are the same because the bottom part of the car is the same on the Coupes (including Grade), Mach Is (including Sports Roofs) and the Convertibles.

If you used a '72 Mach I window within that 72 Mach I door, it (in of itself) should not be the cause of the adjustment problems on your door.

Hope this helps.

BT
Thanks Cobra, +1 one your answer, sounds like something else internally is going on with the track or regulator assembly

I found that the ajustability from the factory is limited, make sure the door is aligned.

I kept adjusting my window with no success until I tried to give the door another twist and it finally popped into place. It was a hair out in the front that was finally enough to allow me to get the glass to sit right.

Back