1973 302

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Memento Mori

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1. Needs a lot of love but will be brought back.
New guy here from Alabama. So glad to have found this site. Ive been digging for a while now and never found many other sites where these cars seemed very welcome. I bought my 1973 Mach 1 in feb of 2011. I was orig looking for a small car to drive around and save gas so I could work on my truck. Saw the mach and fell for it. Its def a project car. Although im driving it for the moment. I want to enjoy it some before it gets torn apart. I know very little about mustangs or fords for that matter. Ive always been more of a dodge person. I have a 95 dakota with plans for a 440 and a 67 dart sedan i want to restore. but the mach grabbed my attention like no other have. So here i am. More than anything im here to learn. I dont know much about paint and body but ive seen enough places on the car that worry me about the shape shell be in when I pull the paint. Who ever owned the car before the guy I bought it from liked to rig things apparenally. Vin says the car came with a 351 but she has a 302 in her at the moment. My goal is to get the car back as close to orig as I can get her, my only planned mods are: overdrive, EL gauges, and an led seq conversion in the tail lights. Ill be able to tell more once I get the car apart. but for now shes on the road. Again im here to learn so i have a ton of questions. As long as you guys dont mind that I think ill enjoy it here. Any questions feel free to ask. Ill get some pictures up as soon as I can.

Thanks

SANY6805.JPG

Pic when I first got her, at a state park near my house with my family. Im the guy to the right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from a guy in Mobile! Nice project. The state park looks familiar, which one is it?

Let me know if you want to put a 351C back in there. I have a few extra ones that I don't need.

Again, welcome! This is a great sight where you can jump right in and learn as much as you ever wanted to know about these cars. We're here to help each other and enjoy our cars.

WELCOME aboard!

As Don inferred, we like to encourage EVERYONE to participate at whatever level to which they feel comfortable. As you journey on the restoration of your Mustang, I am sure that we, too, will learn a lot from you if you are willing to share your experiences.

Again Welcome and I look forward to interacting with you on the individual Forums.

BT

Thank you all for your warm welcomes. Its always nice to see when starting out on a forum. Im going to have to dig through the topics and find all the orig info about the cars as i can. Its missing quite a few random parts. The most recent ive noticed being that my ac controls run to nothing and it seems as if the car was gutted of ac/heat elements. And to don. getting a 351 back into it was one of my main goals. When you get a chance if you dont mind shoot me a pm with any info on the motors and what your asking for them. If something works out I can come pick up. I believe this site will be a BIG help.

Thanks

Welcome from a guy in Mobile! Nice project. The state park looks familiar, which one is it?
The pic was taken at tannehill state park. There's a lot of good places to get vehicle pictures there. But I want to wait till the car gets painted for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your warm welcomes. Its always nice to see when starting out on a forum. Im going to have to dig through the topics and find all the orig info about the cars as i can. Its missing quite a few random parts. The most recent ive noticed being that my ac controls run to nothing and it seems as if the car was gutted of ac/heat elements. And to don. getting a 351 back into it was one of my main goals. When you get a chance if you dont mind shoot me a pm with any info on the motors and what your asking for them. If something works out I can come pick up. I believe this site will be a BIG help.

Thanks

The pic was taken at tannehill state park. There's a lot of good places to get vehicle pictures there. But I want to wait till the car gets painted for that.
Welcome from washington state!!! On your ac unit...Does it still have the ac main box and stuff under the dash? If that missing will cost a bit...I dont know why but i seen a few mustangs with gutted ac missing all the stuff under the dash.....I can understand them getting rid of the ac unit for more power...But why rip the under dash stuff out too? {shakes head} hehe...Btw What code is your mach? Q..H...or? If you dont mind me asking that is ;)

Thanks

Welcome from washington state!!! On your ac unit...Does it still have the ac main box and stuff under the dash? If that missing will cost a bit...I dont know why but i seen a few mustangs with gutted ac missing all the stuff under the dash.....I can understand them getting rid of the ac unit for more power...But why rip the under dash stuff out too? {shakes head} hehe...Btw What code is your mach? Q..H...or? If you dont mind me asking that is ;)
Thanks, and ill have to look, I never looked close, I was running some wire for a gauge install and noticed the ac controls wernt connected to anything. It wouldnt really bother me that much for the time being but i do kinda need the defroster with the cold weather moveing in. They did a lot to the car I didnt like. when I was running those gauges I saw a lot of random wire tied in with wire nuts so it concerns me. and its a H code, was built in dearborn(i think) and was orig blue.

If you have not done so, one of the "best" things you can do if you plan on restoring the Mustang is to order the Deluxe "Marti Report." It will provide a definitive answer as to what your Mustang came with from the "Factory" to include the options, original color, etc.

Here is the link:

http://www.martiauto.com/reports2.cfm

BT

{thumbs up on marti report} Then no one can tell you...That didnt come in your car!! <~~i had a few people point too my old power windows and say..i bet those you stuck in!!...but thanks to marti i can tell them oohhh no...original.....matter of fact she is 1 of 1.....Like gi-joe says...Knowing is half the battle!! lmao;)

Thanks for that. I will def be having one done. I've been wondering what everyone was talking about.

Hi and ::welcome:: to the forum!

+1 on the Marti report. Even if you don´t wanna restore the car to original specs (I didn´t) it´s still fun to see when your car was built and what options it came with from the factory.

By the way, that´s quite a pessimistic nickname you chose..... I´d say "carpe diem" as long as you can.

I will be getting one. And kudos to you for knowing what it means. I don't mean to be pessimistic. I mean for it to be a reminder. A lot of people say it "remember you will die" my translation is "remember your mortality" more like a be careful reminder. ESP with these cars. Its easy to push them past their limits if your not thinking.

Welcome,

Glad to have you here with us.

Enjoy the site and add all that you can.

It would be to your advantage to arrange to meet Don. No doubt but that his enthusiasm will rub off on you.

"For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away." James 4:14

Welcome to the forums! Great looking Mustang! We are really glad to have you aboard!

Its easy to push them past their limits if your not thinking.
Tell me about it......... :s

Been there, done that and lucked out! (Several times) But it´s fun anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back