Lets Get Up to Speed!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoLimitssjca

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe
1972 Mustang Mach 1
So I thought I'd try to bring you up to speed on my build.

Back in the March I bought a 72 Coupe with loads of rust in the floor, but she ran (didn't stop) and had almost all of her parts. (we documented all of the before pictures with my son's phone but apparently it crapped out so I don't know if I'll be able to get those back - ARRRGGGGGG)

I started tearing it down and took the 302 to the machine shop to have it bored .30 over, balanced, valve job, etc. and this is what it looked like when I got it back.

9zv978.jpg

I decided she should be easy on the eyes so I wanted to pay attention to detail. I also wanted some customization. I took a set of chrome valve covers (like these below)

2h2gock.jpg

and sand blasted them to rough them up then painted them with Duplicolor Black Krinkle with then cleared them with a matte finish.

I painted the Edelbrock Vic Jr and attached with ARP Studs.

Topped it all off with an Edelbrock Enduroshine Carb.

2kh6a0.jpg

I added a new powder coated water pump. (still needs all the bolts)

2cg0qyp.jpg

I cleaned up the fuel pump (it was so filthy I considered tossing it) put a coat of paint on and I must say, it turned out well.

n2g61e.jpg

I painted up the brake booster

befjo.jpg

and master cylinder.

swz52v.jpg

An order has been placed for headers and water pump bolts.

I promise to do a better job of 'Before' and 'After' from now on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good! :cool:

By the time I started the pics it was dark. I'll get pics of the donor and the patient up soon.

Packages arrived from Summit today!

Hooker Headers and ARP water pump bolts

25a1c2t.jpg

Sent my wheels off to the powder coater a week ago.

U.S. Indy Mags 14x8 & 15x10

w1bp8i.jpg

Picked them up today.

243ex43.jpg

20% gloss

r1wfpy.jpg

Tore down the front end today. Took off the fenders, bumber, grille, valance. What a MESS! Somebody painted everything black. Rust, caked on dirt, found grass clippings painted over.

Due to the rust on my coupe (now parts car) I bought all 4 apron pieces a while ago. After what I found today I decided I should still put them in. I learned today they are spot welded in and went in search of a thread to help me understand how to replace them. I found a great thread with pictures on Mustang Monthly (below). Hope this helps others.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_0903_replace_ford_mustang_inner_fender_apron/index.html

Work continues on the engine bay and front clip. I love the new air compressor. Kept up with the sand blast cabinet and the air tools at the same time. Prepped and painted 13 pieces last week. Tower braces, brackets, radiator supports.

nmkh8l.jpg

This thing works great with air pressure!

t83dxg.jpg

Before paint

xnfbig.jpg

After paint

I SEVERLY underestimated how difficult this spray on liner is to remove.

osdbvb.jpg

2v1xc0i.jpg

rcodxw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back