Ram air 460

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1460

Reaction score
My Car
72 mach 1
Does any one know of a place that sells the plastic ram air piece that goes goes on the bottom side of the hood? I have seen aftermarket kits for small blocks but unfortunately i have a 460 stroked to 532:) An origional 429 would work but i cant seem to find anyone who sells them....

Also does anyone know a place that sells "repo" wiring harnesses? I would like to replace the driver kick panel to trunk wiring harness on my 72. of course I can find them 69-70 mustangs but not our 71-73s...

Last edited by a moderator:
Try Ohio Mustang. I know they had them. As mentioned above the hood plenum is the same. There is a person on the Vintage Mustang Forums site that rebuilds dash harness'. He may be able to help. If you still have all the connectors and an inch or more of wire coming out of the connectors, you can repair them easily wit uninsulated splices and heat shrink tubing. Just a thought.

Chuck

I checked out the ford ram air site and that looks like a nice piece. I would like the entire kit with air cleaner but am worried about power loss going from the "open element" air cleaner I have now ( see gallery) to the factory style.

Not that I dont have a few horses to spare:) but does anyone think it would be more restrictive?

I checked out the ford ram air site and that looks like a nice piece. I would like the entire kit with air cleaner but am worried about power loss going from the "open element" air cleaner I have now ( see gallery) to the factory style.

Not that I dont have a few horses to spare:) but does anyone think it would be more restrictive?
The K&N website has a formula to calculate the surface area of the air filter required to support the engine. It accounts for displacement and RPM. I feel it calculates the optimal size allowing for some contamination in the filter. At 532 CID almost any reasonable sized filter will present some restriction. In normal use I doubt you would notice the difference. The intake and carb you have sits higher than the stock 429. The ram air set up would require the fabrication of a drop base air cleaner ( see 429Megasite). Good luck with the project.

The K&N website has a formula to calculate the surface area of the air filter required to support the engine. It accounts for displacement and RPM. I feel it calculates the optimal size allowing for some contamination in the filter. At 532 CID almost any reasonable sized filter will present some restriction. In normal use I doubt you would notice the difference. The intake and carb you have sits higher than the stock 429. The ram air set up would require the fabrication of a drop base air cleaner ( see 429Megasite). Good luck with the project.
+1 I run the tall filter in my ram air cleaner.It is the same size that the factory GM open element air cleaners used.

I have a 429/460 ram air pan on my 73. The filter is closer to the center of this unit than the 351 assembly.(see pic) The carb on the big block is farther forward in the car. The 351 pan has the filter offset toward the rear.

IMG_1636.JPG

Good tip on the taller filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back