71-72 chrome front bumper on a 73

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supercoupe

Reaction score
My Car
2007 GT500
1965 GT350 Replica
1973 Mach 1 T-5 5-Speed
I'm going to execute a 71-72 chrome front bumper conversion on a 73, I realize the fenders are different on a 71-72 and the 73 bumper mounts lower than the 71-72 so Im going to modify the 71-72 brackets to lower the chrome bumper to fit the 73 fenders, I saw a forum on it somewhere else but he doesn't have any good pics of the modified brackets so I will be the guy to provide that once I'm done, if anybody has experience and advice to give I'm all ears, pics of the conversion will be a bonus until I can get some pics provided.

Typically I learned to do this conversion you need to use 71-72 fenders and valance, and grille, to match the chrome bumper, I don't think that has to be necessary giving I modify the brackets. But as I go along here I will add comments on my findings.

here is the link to the other forum of this conversion and I attached pics of the conversion.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/607761-73-vert-front-bumper.html

user30873_pic295_1259987719.jpg

user30873_pic296_1259987719.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know its against the original Restoration rules but Im more of an Restomod guy and I want lose over 90 pounds that the 73 bumper and brackets adds to plus looks and performance, less weight=better performance,

that would be a sweet deal as well, but you cant find a new or Reproduction urethane bumper of any year, am I correct? just used? The chrome bumper is easily available and inexpensive, wish they had Reproduction urethane bumpers

If I were to put a chrome bumper on my '73, how bad will it look if I don't modify anything? Or are they that different that it will be obvious?

Oh. Ok. Thanks.

New to this site. Have a 73 girl coupe. Front bumper paint seems to crack just sitting around. Any ideas? This chrome front bumper is sweet. But I like Original. Will be monitoring this thread.

New to this site. Have a 73 girl coupe. Front bumper paint seems to crack just sitting around. Any ideas? This chrome front bumper is sweet. But I like Original. Will be monitoring this thread.
They didn't spray a flex agent primer on first

They didn't spray a flex agent primer on first
+1

What is the flex agent primer? I know Zero about paint. All I do know is my car is almost ready for paint. They are done with prep work. Can anyone give me any hints to look for or ask, in order to get the bumper painted right? Any info would be super! Thanks!

Flex agent primer is just what it sounds like "flexible primer" or at least more so than a filler or 2k. Base and clear will expand and contract as long as the primer it sits on does. What brand of paint are they using? do they bake after shooting? Is cutting and buffing included?

I would love to see some closeups from a car with this done, to look for the fit better,,, was looking for a chrome front bumper 72 back in 85 when I bought my 73,,, At the time I thought it would be an easy swap then found out different and have lived with the huge painted bumper since. My car already has a non factory motor from a 1970 Torino 429, and a Mach 1 hood on a coupe so I'm not really worried about the factory look. More the look I like, I would keep my painted hood and front fender trims as I have a pretty good paint job right now.

Here is a pic of new paint job. I took all information given and talked with the painter. Told both bumper primer and paint have flex added to them. He is awaiting the black paint as you see the inner bumper area is not yet painted. Yes! I took the suggestions, and yes the black does give the large front bumper a better look. ( my opinion ). Thanks again!

image.jpg

Back