351 4v ( 408 and TKX )

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang Mach 1
72 Mustang Mach 1 (parts car)
Look what I picked up this weekend for Free. Last week I went to a Christmas party. Ended up talking to this guy mike. We were talking about Fords. He told me about his 69 Bronco he built. I started to tell him about my Mach1. He asked what motor it has. I told a 351c 2v. He said do you want a 351c4v, Just come by and get it. WHAT! Does it have 4 or 4.on the head. All he knew it had a 4 on the head. When he bought the Bronco project the motor came with it. He installed a 600 HP 408 Windsor create motor in the bronco. Now the bad news the 351c sat outside of his shop for 2-3 years. He told me it's full of water.:huh: Don't care i'll take it.:cool: Saturday comes I call mike he tells me it's a 4dot and come on up. I get to this Guys ranch to find a 40/60 shop full of toys including this wicked bronco that he tows behind the diesel pusher motorhome. What a cool guy we B/S for hours. So we loaded up the Cleveland and home I went.

Well got home, time to get it up on the stand and see how bad it is. Not wasting any time My wife and I tore in to it. I told my wife all about closed chamber and open chamber heads. I could not believe that she was so interested in seeing what the heads were.:cool: So I handed her some tools and she got busy. Shortly their after we found that the motor had a tenet living in the right head. (See pics) That didn't stop the wife pulling the valve covers. Then came the moment of truth when I removed the head from the block. Could they be closed chamber could they. YES they are. Let the dancing began. :p Looking at the block #4 is rusted bad it would need a sleeve. Oh well. Sorry for the long story. But I had to tell some one.

3514V 009.jpg

3514V 011.jpg

3514V 012.jpg

3514V 019.jpg

3514V 024.jpg

3514V 030.jpg

3514V 036.jpg

3514V 035.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a cool score! A sleeve won't hurt it any!

What a great stocking stuffer! That's a cool score! A sleeve won't hurt it any.

Good deal! Where can I find a wife that'll tear into a motor with me?

Good deal! Where can I find a wife that'll tear into a motor?

Good deal! Where can I find a wife that'll tear into a motor?

To get a motor for free is great, but to have a wife help with the teardown... Priceless

Good luck with the rebuild

Look what I picked up this weekend for Free. Last week I went to a Christmas party. Ended up talking to this guy mike. We were talking about Fords. He told me about his 69 Bronco he built. I started to tell him about my Mach1. He asked what motor it has. I told a 351c 2v. He said do you want a 351c4v, Just come by and get it. WHAT! Does it have 4 or 4.on the head. All he knew it had a 4 on the head. When he bought the Bronco project the motor came with it. He installed a 600 HP 408 Windsor create motor in the bronco. Now the bad news the 351c sat outside of his shop for 2-3 years. He told me it's full of water.:huh: Don't care i'll take it.:cool: Saturday comes I call mike he tells me it's a 4dot and come on up. I get to this Guys ranch to find a 40/60 shop full of toys including this wicked bronco that he tows behind the diesel pusher motorhome. What a cool guy we B/S for hours. So we loaded up the Cleveland and home I went.

Well got home, time to get it up on the stand and see how bad it is. Not wasting any time My wife and I tore in to it. I told my wife all about closed chamber and open chamber heads. I could not believe that she was so interested in seeing what the heads were.:cool: So I handed her some tools and she got busy. Shortly their after we found that the motor had a tenet living in the right head. (See pics) That didn't stop the wife pulling the valve covers. Then came the moment of truth when I removed the head from the block. Could they be closed chamber could they. YES they are. Let the dancing began. :p Looking at the block #4 is rusted bad it would need a sleeve. Oh well. Sorry for the long story. But I had to tell some one.
GREAT find as it is not every day that someone gets a FREE "M" Code! Even better is having a First Lady who is willing to "get in there with you." I look forward to hearing about your journey with that engine.

BT

I'll say...hell, the first sign of that big black spider and I would have been gone! LOL

Nice score!

The Intake was a cast iron that was milled. I dropped the heads off at the machine shop today. I'm having them hot tanked and inspected. Hopefully they clean up and check out. Dave at he machine thinks they will. My plan is to use the original 2V short block that came in my Mach 1. I don't believe it was ever rebuilt. This 4V motor was already taken 30 over. I don't know what to say about my wife. She must want something.:s All she said was that the new motor has be Tara friendly. What the hell does that mean.:dodgy: I think she remembers how moody my last 351 4V was.

It took me 3 tries to get a wife that embraced me wrenching in the garage. A tip of the hat to yours too. (wonder what she wants?)

Back