351 4v ( 408 and TKX )

David Funny you point out the black out by the tail lights and gas cap. I think about it every time I look at the rear car. I knew about it when put the back together.  It was case of getting ahead of my self. I have been thinking about going back to fix it. 

That settles It, now that you pointed it out I will fix it! :cool: 

As for the hood black out I bought the correct stencil. I'm hopefully going to have my brother shoot the black soon. The only thing my brother is not going to use the stencil.  :D

Lookin' sweet, Brutha!

Just remember that with the hood stencil, the front alignment mark goes to the leading edge of the hood - including the front trim piece (otherwise, it'll sit too far back... like mine).

As well, the taillight trim can be done with little more than just taping off the area and hitting it with a spray can (have a local paint shop mix up the right paint and put into an aerosol can).  That way you won't have to go crazy and tape-off/cover the whole car for a quick blast in the paint booth (unless you're already planning on that, anyway).

Just in case you're not already aware, this is what I found when I pulled the honeycomb trim off mine (just before tearing it all apart):

attachment.php?aid=37484

attachment.php?aid=37483

Hope that helps.

Thanks Eric.  I have pics of my tail panel. I'm going to spray it with some SEM trim black spray bomb.

- Mike

• 1 month later...

Any updates on your build Mike? I have not touched mine in about nine months. Unfortunately I have been out to sea doing Navy shit for the better half of the last year, so time to work on the car is at a minimum. I have a slew of parts waiting for me when I get back though. Bought an electric fan kit, hei distributor, one wire alternator, and some new wiring to update a few of my harnesses to help with making the car more reliable. soon after all that, I am gonna start body work. Major drawback is that the car was outside in the pacific northwest for a couple of weeks and the interior is completely covered in mold. Pretty much everything except for the upholstery was new or newly refurbished, so I am a little pissed about it. Hope all is well buddy.

- Nik

1_12_09_14_10_32_45.png

- Nik

Any updates on your build Mike? I have not touched mine in about nine months. Unfortunately I have been out to sea doing Navy shit for the better half of the last year, so time to work on the car is at a minimum. I have a slew of parts waiting for me when I get back though. Bought an electric fan kit, hei distributor, one wire alternator, and some new wiring to update a few of my harnesses to help with making the car more reliable. soon after all that, I am gonna start body work. Major drawback is that the car was outside in the pacific northwest for a couple of weeks and the interior is completely covered in mold. Pretty much everything except for the upholstery was new or newly refurbished, so I am a little pissed about it. Hope all is well buddy.

- Nik

Hey Nik, All is well.  I took a couple months off from the car.  The wife and I have been busy with a Chicago and Vegas vacation, and kitchen overhaul. I got back on the car 2 weeks ago polishing drip rail moldings. I hope to take another big leap forward this summer.

That really sucks about the mold! I'm sure that's no fun to clean up. look forward to see the bodywork come along.

- Mike

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

IMG_2004.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg

how to remove outlook account

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2016.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

It's been awhile since I posted anything. Finely got something done worth posting. I got with my brother to do the hood and lower body black out. Also popped the taillights and did that black as well. I'm very happy how it turned out. My brother still got IT. He did the hood mask with no stencil. It's not 100% correct but what we thought looks the best.

- Mike

Installed front spoiler today, Scott ( Q codes ) video was a big help.

Love the inspiration wall! ::thumb:: 

Two of those cars look real familiar :D

Your progress is really nice ::thumb::

20170721_174803.thumb.jpg.56378cb48c245bed8f3d9e06d728678e.jpg

20170823_203221.thumb.jpg.e74b7041dd5d14a3f08c1fc848d00e6d.jpg

movie stars with addictions go to the Betty Ford clinic,

I take my addiction to the Henry Ford clinic.lollerz

Installed front spoiler today, Scott ( Q codes ) video was a big help.

Love the inspiration wall! ::thumb:: 

Two of those cars look real familiar :D

Your progress is really nice ::thumb::

Thank you.

Awesome cars!

- Mike

Sounds like the motor may have earned a new name for itself: The Spider or The Black Widow!!!

Tim: Restoring 71-73 Ponies, Restoring People

139A1893.jpg

Mike, the car still looks great. I am deployed right now and am getting stationed back in San Diego this November. The Mustang will be my full time driver when I return. Cant wait to see yours in person. talk to you soon and hope all is well!

1_12_09_14_10_32_45.png

- Nik

It’s looking really great. Red with black is always a favourite of mine.

Mike, the car still looks great. I am deployed right now and am getting stationed back in San Diego this November. The Mustang will be my full time driver when I return. Cant wait to see yours in person. talk to you soon and hope all is well!

Thanks Nik. Look forward to see in November.

- Mike

Hi,

great resto, it is a pleasure to how much attention you paid to details. I also like the way you work - organised, clean and with system.

congratulations and acknowledgement from Europe

cheers Wolfgang

• 3 months later...

Progress update. Installed lower body side moldings and drip rail moldings. Restored front marker lights then installed them on the valance. Figured I might as well install the front spoiler make it complete. From there the front fenders starting with undercoating and painting satin black the under side. Install the lower body side moldings and marker lights. Paint and install plastic covers for end cap nut access holes. Put fenders and valance in storage for now.

IMG_2054.jpg

silence poem

IMG_2052.jpg

Edgar Allan Poe poems

IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_2067.jpg

IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_2064.jpg

IMG_2089.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2093.jpg

IMG_2097.jpg

IMG_2087.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2075.jpg

- Mike

Cant work out how i missed this thread. Maybe it was started before i joined. Having just started at the beginning and read through i cant believe how far you have come with this car. If this thread doesnt give other members the impetus to restore theirs then nothing will. What a fantastic job. Looking forward to seeing the car finished and fired up with attached video

Steve

1971 Grande

Fabulous!

Totally agree with @pegleg on this: very motivating!

Could you give me the height/thickness of the molding on the quarter? I have this option too, but looks like yours is more flat than mine and higher too.

Because these are U shaped to have the retainer to fit in them, they end up being dirt collectors very fast, so I was thinking of making thinner copies of my set in stainless steel and somehow yours on the quarter looks exactly how I would like to have them. Were there different shapes or is it the pict that is tricking my eye?

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

• mach71351c changed the title to 351 4v ( 408 and TKX )