351 4v ( 408 and TKX )

On 9/19/2021 at 5:21 AM, turtle5353 said:

Aren’t you a crafty SOB.  Nice job on the jig. Simple but effective!

Was thinking about doing a U.S. patent. :cool: 

- Mike

Well I did what said I would not do.  " the I'll go back later " Through out my build I took everything to completion until now. So I pulled my seats down from the rafters and gave them a good scrubbing. Then I put some duct tape on the tears and in they went.  Damn it ! Oh well I'll go back later.

IMG_2816.JPG

IMG_2817.JPG

IMG_2819.JPG

• Like 1

- Mike

Stopped by JBA today. The motor is done just waiting to get rolled in to the dyno room.  There is 4 engines ahead of it so there thinking next week. Well that freaking figures the wife and I are heading to Arizona on Friday  to look around for a week. I told JBA about my vacation next week and I really  wanted to see the engine on the dyno .  Auston said no problem there's a Boss 302 scheduled for the dyno behind my Cleveland and there is no other engines scheduled. So they are willing to put my engine on the dyno after the Boss then tune it and let it sit there till I get back from Arizona.   

IMG_2832.JPG

• Like 1

- Mike

8 hours ago, mach71351c said:

Stopped by JBA today. The motor is done just waiting to get rolled in to the dyno room.  There is 4 engines ahead of it so there thinking next week. Well that freaking figures the wife and I are heading to Arizona on Friday  to look around for a week. I told JBA about my vacation next week and I really  wanted to see the engine on the dyno .  Auston said no problem there's a Boss 302 scheduled for the dyno behind my Cleveland and there is no other engines scheduled. So they are willing to put my engine on the dyno after the Boss then tune it and let it sit there till I get back from Arizona.   

IMG_2832.JPG

My wife and I are vacationing this week in (not so arid) Arizona. Driving and seeing everything we can as we go thru Scottdale, Sedona, South rim of the grand canyon,  Page, and then on to Zion, and finally Las Vegas, before heading home.

Have a great trip. Hopefully the weather will be drier next week for you then it was for us. I feel like I brought the east coast weather with me! Just my luck.

Good luck with the engine. It looks great. I am sure you can't wait to get back from vacation to get it installed in the car and turn the key for the first time. The waiting is the hardest part.

Edited by rackerm

1973 H Code Convertible - Medium Copper Metallic - June 8, 1973, Built Ford Marketing Sales Vehicle

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

satellite.png Proud Space Junk Award Winner!

Engine is looking great. Cant wait to see the numbers! Good luck and have fun on vacation! 

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

On 9/27/2021 at 6:19 AM, mach71351c said:

WAITING!! It's creeping up on 11 years.

IMG_2829.JPG

I am up to 7 years now... still hoping, NOT to reach 11 years. But yours looks really good and I enjoy the updates. Nice engine, hope it does well and will produce good numbers! It looks like if! Nice valve covers...

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

16 hours ago, rackerm said:

My wife and I are vacationing this week in (not so arid) Arizona. Driving and seeing everything we can as we go thru Scottdale, Sedona, South rim of the grand canyon,  Page, and then on to Zion, and finally Las Vegas, before heading home.

Have a great trip. Hopefully the weather will be drier next week for you then it was for us. I feel like I brought the east coast weather with me! Just my luck.

Good luck with the engine. It looks great. I am sure you can't wait to get back from vacation to get it installed in the car and turn the key for the first time. The waiting is the hardest part.

Wow your hitting all the spots!  I'm surprised all the rain AZ has been getting. I can deal with the rain just hope the 100 + degree temps are gone.

Believe me I tried to cancel the trip but the wife wasn't having it.    

• LOL 1

- Mike

15 hours ago, timachone said:

I am up to 7 years now... still hoping, NOT to reach 11 years. But yours looks really good and I enjoy the updates. Nice engine, hope it does well and will produce good numbers! It looks like if! Nice valve covers...

Thanks Tim.  I thought 8 years at the most. I hope to drive it next summer.

• Fist Bump 1

- Mike

16 hours ago, turtle5353 said:

Engine is looking great. Cant wait to see the numbers! Good luck and have fun on vacation! 

Thanks Kevin It's going to be a long week..:biggrin: 

- Mike

5 hours ago, mach71351c said:

Thanks Tim.  I thought 8 years at the most. I hope to drive it next summer.

Me too! Let's finish our work and drive 'em next year!

• Like 1

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

That are nonetheless awesome numbers, Mike! That thing will pull like a train. 471 torque are impressive, combined with that horsepower. I would say, the car will be surely fun to drive. Congratulations, Mike :thumb:

Tim

That will be an awesome street motor. You will love all that torque. We are all fixated about HP and just talk about HP, but torque is what gives you the acceleration that we so much want in the street.

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

I don't know if you talked about them earlier in this thread, but can you summarize your engine build details?

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

• 4 weeks later...

The run down of my Cleveland.

71 4V cc heads

original 2 bolt main block

Holley 750 dp

Blue thunder intake

MSD ready to run  distributer 

MSD plug wires and coil

Milodon adj timing pointer 

Manley stainless steel valves

Crower 1.73 roller rockers

comp guide plates

Howards valve springs

Comp push rods

Lunati voodoo hydraulic roller cam/lifters 272/280 592/611

Lunati link bars

Scat stroker crank 4.000

Race tech/Auto tech forged pistons H beam rods

Rollmaster adj timing set

Melling oil pump

Milodon 8 quart pan

Milodon water pump

Ford Powertrain Applications headers

Asen USA boss/408 Cleveland polished valve covers 

IMG_2857.JPG

• Like 2

- Mike

Today removed the master cylinder and bench bled. Reinstalled and bled the whole brake system. Had 3 leaks to deal with. Can't believe it took most of the day to do that.  From there rolled it out side and pressure washed the dust off the engine bay. It's ready for the engine.      

IMG_2862.JPG

IMG_2852.JPG

IMG_2849.JPG

IMG_2853.JPG

• Like 2

- Mike

It's  been 11 years this weekend sine I drove the Mach 1 in the garage  and tore it apart. For a milestone  my goal this holiday weekend was to get the engine and trans installed. Well not so fast!! 

I got stuck before I really got started. Reading through the Tremec instruction I see the importance of the input shaft alignment. OK I got this looks easy enough.  I gave my buddy call to see if he has a dial indicator and he does.  I set up the indicator to find the transmission surface is .014 out to the left. Removed bellhousing took a flat file to the block found a heave burr, right side block. reinstalled bellhousing, now at .006.  Checked runout on hole on the back of bellhousing found it  .017 low, need .007 offset dowel pin to raise up bellhousing to be within spec.  Tried to find offset  dowel pins locally with out avail. Ordered from Summit racing, be here next week, so much for getting engine and tranny installed this weekend. 

Thanks to Tony about clearance on the motor mounts, checked my clearance and sure enough I had an issued as well.  Had to trim mounts on both sides.  So Glad I remembered this from Tony's post and didn't discover this  while dropping the motor in.       

IMG_2866.JPG

IMG_2863.JPG

IMG_2865.JPG

IMG_2867.JPG

IMG_2868.JPG

IMG_2869.JPG

IMG_2870.JPG

IMG_2873.JPG

IMG_2875.JPG

• Like 1
  • Fist Bump 1

- Mike

It's like everything you rework on these cars - everytime you have to do some work you have to handle with the unexpected and find some solutions. Don't ask how I know for sure... Hope it will all fit well next weekend with the new parts and engine and transmission find their way back :thumb:

Tim

Nice work Mike!  At least you know it will be correct. Dropping it in is the easy part. 

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.