Let's see those 71 - 73 Mustang motors

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rolandmhall

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Coupe - Restomod
Let's see those motors. Just curious what everyone has done in respect to their motor rebuild

Here's mine.

Matching #'s 2 valve Cleveland motor

.030 overbore[attachment=5886]

Flow Kool High Volume Water Pump

Mr. Gasket High Volume Fuel Pump

Sealed Power High Volume Oil Pump

Comp Cams Cam and Lifter Set (.500 lift)

Comp Cams Double RollerTiming Chain

Holley Street Avenger Carb (650cfm)

Edelbrock Peformer Intake Manifold

Felpro Gasket Set

MSD 9MM Spark Plug Wires

MSD 6AL Ignition Box

MSD Cap and Rotor

MSD Ignition Coil (Blaster 2)

MSD Distributor

Autolite Platinum Spark Plugs (.65 gap)

Federal Mogul Brass Freeze Plugs

Federal Mogul Cam Bearings

2-V Cylinder Head Rebuild (Port and Polish)

ARP Connecting Rod Bolts

Mr. Gasket Radiator Cap/Gauge

Cardone Alternator - Reman.

AutoLite Starter - Reman.

Spectre Dual Air Cleaner

Ford Racing 180 Degree Thermostat

Cardone Power Steering Pump

Speed Pro Forged Piston/Rings

Crank - Balanced

Conncting Rods - Balanced

The main bearing caps are now 4 bolt

Factory Oil Pan is cleaned and painted.

[attachment=5889]

[attachment=5888]

351C stroked to 408

Just your typical "STOCK" rebuild:

Comp cam Hydrualic Roller

.663/.638 Lift w/ 1.73 Rocker

236/242 @ .050

108 Lobe Center

AFD SP4V heads specially cut for my CR

Harlan Sharp Roller Rockers

Manly Valves with Titanium keepers

Ceramic Powder coated weiand X-Celerator intake

Ceramic Powder coated headers 4v

FORGED 4340 4.000" STROKER CRANKSHAFT

FORGED 4340 6.000" H-BEAM RODS w/ ARP CAP-SCREWS

FORGED FLAT TOP PISTONS 10.8 CR

JE FILE-TO-FIT MOLY RING SET (PITA)

CLEVITE H SERIES MAIN & ROD BEARINGS

DIGITALLY BALANCED WITHIN 1/2 GRAM

850 DP Holley Carb

Holley fuel pump

Milodon 8 qt oil pan

Melling oil pump

All ARP bolts

Mallory Comp 9000 Dizzy with Hyfire 6box

Blaster epoxy filled coil

March Serpentine system

I'm sure I'm leaving something out but thats a start

IMG00200-20100928-2205_1 (Large).JPG

motor6.JPG

1109001845.JPG

g2.JPG

man that is ridiculous! And people have the nerve to say the big Mustangs suck?

Please....

VERY IMPRESSIVE

How much was the March Serpentine System? What's the part#?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 1973 351C 2v that was freshened up with some gaskets, rebuilt carb, plugs, wires, ect. The only upgrade is the hooker headers.

before

100_0110.jpg

after

Photo_020508_002.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

Man! Those are some nice engines! Mine isn't as powerful or fancy...but it gets the job done! 302 bored to 306 with 289 heads, mild cam.

1_29_08_10_10_08_29.jpeg

Here is the Ford Racing 306 Crate going into the 72 Coupe...

jzczyf.jpg

3514v CJ, bored 40 over.

SRP pistons

JE pro seal rings file fitted

Isky cam: 280 mega hydraulic Cam lift .323, valve lift .565 duration 280 .050 duration 232 lobe center 108 0 valve lash

ARP rod bolts

Rotating assembly balanced

MSD 6 Al box, MSD Pro billit distribuator, Blaster SS coil

Torker 351 intake

Holly 750 DP tricked out

180 degree thermostat

Stock starter

Hooker long tube headers

Jim

_MG_0523.JPG

_MG_0524.JPG

This is the engine (408C) in my Mach 1. It is the original block.

Scat crank and rods, Mahle Pistons, pins, and rings, 9.65:1 SCR, 7.63 DCR (pump gas).

Closed chamber 4V iron heads, self ported, flow bench 315/205cfm @.600.

Ferrea 6000 +.100 valves, K-Motion springs, Ford Racing roller rockers.

Manley custom length push rods and guide plates, Cloyes billet timing set.

Mellings HV pump, ARP drive rod, Allstar 120 gph fuel pump.

Blended oil pump to block hole, restrictors in main webs, front to rear oil pressure balance tube fabricated and installed. 7 qt Canton oil pan and pickup.

Block bored and honed with deck plate, Zero decked, de-burred, screw in oil passage plugs.

Lunati solid, flat tappet cam, .562/.580, 272/282 Adv., 238/248 @ .050, 110 LSA, installed at 106 ICL.

Blue Thunder dual plane intake manifold, blended plenum divider and runner roofs, port matched at roof and walls.

Hooker Competition headers, 1 3/4 primaries, 3 collectors.

Holley 750 HP carb, calibrated power circuit on dyno.

MSD 6AL amp, Dura-Spark trigger, custom self-curved, distributor.

Factory finned valve covers (70 Boss 302, or 71 Boss 351, or 72 HO).

Peak power @ 6400 RPM=529 std. correction, peak torque @ 4900 RPM=496. above 450 torque from 3000 RPM through 6000 RPM.

engine right 11-17-10_1524.jpg

I don't care if the big mustangs ever command the big bucks like the earlier ones, but in my humble opinion, the 71 - 73 are the baddest of them all. The size the shape, you can sit any motor in it you want. Parts are not too outrageous.

I respect everything that everyone has done. Damn I wish I knew you guys when I first started my build.

Scat crank and rods, Mahle Pistons, pins, and rings, 9.65:1 SCR, 7.63 DCR (pump gas).

Blended oil pump to block hole, restrictors in main webs, front to rear oil pressure balance tube fabricated and installed. 7 qt Canton oil pan and pickup.

Block bored and honed with deck plate, Zero decked, de-burred, screw in oil passage plugs.

Lunati solid, flat tappet cam, .562/.580, 272/282 Adv., 238/248 @ .050, 110 LSA, installed at 106 ICL.

Blue Thunder dual plane intake manifold, blended plenum divider and runner roofs, port matched at roof and walls.

Peak power @ 6400 RPM=529 std. correction, peak torque @ 4900 RPM=496. above 450 torque from 3000 RPM through 6000 RPM.
Chuck,

Have you seen Dan Jones' reports that balancing the runner flow on the Blue Thunder intake was worth around 40 HP on his dyno mule? Just thought I'd mention it. I ran one on my 4V Cleveland before I went to the 460. Had I kept the Cleveland I think I would have tried it myself.

T

Ok, after Roy´s pics, this looks kinda cheesy but I´ll throw mine in anyway:

351W Ford Racing crate engine.

Don´t ask me about the specs, I misplaced the sheet with the details. :dodgy:

It came with an Edelbrock performer RPM intake and a Duraspark ignition that we coupled to an MSD, that I remember.

Fresh from the crate:

DSC_4840.JPG

After paint it looks like a Ford engine. :D:

DSC_4909.JPG

Chuck,

Have you seen Dan Jones' reports that balancing the runner flow on the Blue Thunder intake was worth around 40 HP on his dyno mule? Just thought I'd mention it. I ran one on my 4V Cleveland before I went to the 460. Had I kept the Cleveland I think I would have tried it myself.

T
Tommy, I had read it before the build. Thats is why I did the blend work. I didn't flow the intake but, the work I did couldn't have hurt anything. Thanks for the comment. It sounds like we visit the same "non-primary" sites. That quoted term in the last comment was for Roy's

consumption.:D Chuck

Got this 351C 4V quench from Don at OMS. Aside from a mild cam

it is pure stock Cleveland. Don sold me the freshly remanufactured

long block and I added some minor cosmetic enhancements.

The engine has about 300 miles on it.

mike

HPIM2957.JPG

My engine is probably the weakest Cleveland to be "built" at my friend's shop. It is at present a standard bore 71 block with an Isky RV cam and flat top pistons. The heads are 2v pieces of unknown vintage. The bosses are cut for screw-in studs and guideplates. Ford Motorsports roller rockers open 1 piece stainless valves with stock replacement springs and hardened valve seats. Minor porting was done to the valve bowl area and all the "boogers" in the ports were smoothed but the ports were left stock sized. The intake is an Edelbrock Performer that remains untouched. The carb is a Holley assembled from pieces and parts and flows approximately flows 650 cfm. Spark comes from an MSD (motorsports) controlled Duraspark distributor and Taylor wires. I have finished it with "old" Ford blue and a pair of old school Mickey Thompson valve covers. Here's a shot just after it was dropped in (best it has ever looked).

IMG_1156.JPG

Ok, after Roy´s pics, this looks kinda cheesy but I´ll throw mine in anyway:

351W Ford Racing crate engine.

Don´t ask me about the specs, I misplaced the sheet with the details. :dodgy:

It came with an Edelbrock performer RPM intake and a Duraspark ignition that we coupled to an MSD, that I remember.

Fresh from the crate:

After paint it looks like a Ford engine. :D:
Nothing wrong with this one or any that are on here and thanks guys:blush:

My engine is probably the weakest Cleveland to be "built" at my friend's shop. It is at present a standard bore 71 block with an Isky RV cam and flat top pistons. The heads are 2v pieces of unknown vintage. The bosses are cut for screw-in studs and guideplates. Ford Motorsports roller rockers open 1 piece stainless valves with stock replacement springs and hardened valve seats. Minor porting was done to the valve bowl area and all the "boogers" in the ports were smoothed but the ports were left stock sized. The intake is an Edelbrock Performer that remains untouched. The carb is a Holley assembled from pieces and parts and flows approximately flows 650 cfm. Spark comes from an MSD (motorsports) controlled Duraspark distributor and Taylor wires. I have finished it with "old" Ford blue and a pair of old school Mickey Thompson valve covers. Here's a shot just after it was dropped in (best it has ever looked).
I'd take that setup any day of the week! In reality it is probably one of the BEST street motors on here. Well done! It looks great too my friend!

This is a bit like looking at family reunion photo's and all the relatives you never met before.

b3vgh3.jpg

302 bored .30 over 306

Mild Cam

Ported heads

Victor JR. Single Plane

Edelbrock Performer 600 CFM

See Roy's motor without rocker covers ????

CHEVY orange rockers, HA I knew it, some day he will come out of the Chevy closet, some day

Back