Lip Spoiler on Coupe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Coupe
2001 Coupe
So we want a rear spoiler on the coupe. I think a lip spoiler may be more suited to the coupe body style, so I borrowed the rear lip spoiler from a friend's 69 RS/SS camaro now under restoration, and the fit is surprisingly good. With a few tweaks, I think it may work. (Of course I don't literally mean his. I'll get my own).

For those of you who can get beyond the co-mingling of a chevy lip on my ford rear end...thoughts?

Anybody here have a lip spoiler on a coupe?

Thanks.

Like many have said before, it's your car so if you like it, go for it. I've seen a couple people post about putting lip spoilers on so it's not exactly unheard of. Myself, I'm not a big fan of lip spoilers (generally speaking).

I saw an circa 05 rear spoiler on one of our beloved big bodies. It was only a part of the view of it in the pic but it looked fine. I wish I had a pic of it to share.

Chin spoilers? Either way is fine with me - both ways look good.

How about a Super B wing? Ok, maybe not. Lol

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Customize it to your liking. Why not?

It's very easy to make your own design rear spoiler using whats called the "lost foam method" Pick up some blue or pink hardboard insulation foam at home depot or lowes. Rough cut the basic outline you want. You may have to glue a few pieces together (use carpenters glue or 5 min epoxy) for the proper thickness. Tack your chunk of foam on the car using 5 minute epoxy..You then shape to your liking starting with a cheese grator or surform blade..Then move to 40 grit..then 60 grit..Once you have the shape you want you then lay 3 layers of heavy weight fiberglass CLOTH over the entire piece using laminating epoxy. Then bondo..then primer..Once done you remove the part..Hack out the foam or you can melt it out with thinner or acetone.

I saw an circa 05 rear spoiler on one of our beloved big bodies. It was only a part of the view of it in the pic but it looked fine. I wish I had a pic of it to share.

Don, I actually had one of those on "FIRE" at one time..talk about INTIMIDATING!

As a couple Members have said and/or inferred some will like it and some will not but in the end, it is up to the OWNER. I would love to see a picture of one where the spoiler is in place.

BT

Some newer Mustangs had lip spoilers and I do think that would look good on a coupe. I'm not too fond of wing spoilers on coupes but I think a tasteful lip spoiler would look cool. But again...everyone has different tastes and I totally support that!

Don, I actually had one of those on "FIRE" at one time..talk about INTIMIDATING!

BT
:worthlesswithoutpics:

You don't necessarily have to mix Ford and Chevy, and I think a lip spoiler on a coupe is just fine. Here's one on my '68.

Steve
Steve, that's a beautiful 68! Do you still have it? Add some pics of it in your garage.

Last edited by a moderator:

We thought about putting a chin spoiler on the Grande. Not for appearance sake but to improve air flow around the engine. The car is already as good looking as it can get :D

mike

Good thoughts, all, thanks. Steve's '68 has the look we're seeking. Thanks for posting. Thanks, Scott for the DIY sequence. I like that a lot to play until we get just the look we want.

Here is the one from my new one
Hey Roy, did the rockers on your 408C come from the Chevy truck behind the Mustang? Please don't tell me Don is right. Just kidding, I know your rockers are sharp. Chuck

Back