Valve Cover clearance

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTGSTANG

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible red/white interior. Engine: 302 V8 w/air, upgraded Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Petronix, Holly 600cfm carb, power windows.
If I were to either have my stock cylinder heads ported/polished or get a used pair of refurbished GT-40 heads from an early 90s Mustang, would I be able to put roller rockers on without changing the length of the valve stems? Also, would be standard valve covers still work or would I need the tall versions? As always, all of your help is greatly appreciated!

If I were to either have my stock cylinder heads ported/polished or get a used pair of refurbished GT-40 heads from an early 90s Mustang, would I be able to put roller rockers on without changing the length of the valve stems? Also, would be standard valve covers still work or would I need the tall versions? As always, all of your help is greatly appreciated!
I have my stock 2 v heads for my 351c. i had them heavily ported, also had them machined for screw in studs and i am running harland sharp roller rockers 1.73 ratio. I also put in all new valves, same size as stock just new ones. They work great and i can still use my stock covers, which i like!!

Kevin

you will have to get different pushrods though.

Last edited by a moderator:
These would solve the problem if they don't clear. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Ansen-Small-Block-Ford-Valve-Cover-Spacers,35302.html

You can use pedestal mount rockers. http://www.summitracing.com/search/Make/FORD/Year/1971/?keyword=pedestal+roller+rockers or do the conversion to fully adjustable rockers (required for solid lifter cam). Pedestal mounts, 1.6, 1.7, 1.72 ratios are readily available (higher ratio=higher lift). If you use the pedestal mounts be sure you get the shim kit so proper preload on the hydraulic lifter is maintained. Chuck

Latest posts

Back