Rear disc brakes on the cheap!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndoe000

Reaction score
My Car
1973 restomod fastback
OUTSTANDING article!!

I replaced the drums (on my Grande) with a disc kit from Master Power Brake and considering the torque I am now making with the big block (472), I was looking at upgrading to larger drums on the back or going with one of gthe discs kits - - I believe in STOPPING even more so than Speed!:)

Anyway, this is an additional option that I will consider once I get the car back from the paint shop!

THANKS for sharing!!

BT

Nice! I'm gonna have to look into this closer! :D

Awesome! Looks like I won't even bother to mess with the factory drums when it's time. Thanks for the link!

If you've ever wanted to put rear disc brakes on your 8" or small bearing 9" rear axle then you've probably seen how expensive some of the aftermarket kits can be. I did a write up over on Ford Muscle about how to use the very common Crown Victoria and the disc brakes off of its 8.8" axle on early Ford axles. Check it out!

http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/braking-articles/488169-budget-rear-discs-8-small-9-axles.html
does this setup work on any 8 inch rear , such as a maverick or just the mustang 8 inch? thanks for any replys

If you've ever wanted to put rear disc brakes on your 8" or small bearing 9" rear axle then you've probably seen how expensive some of the aftermarket kits can be. I did a write up over on Ford Muscle about how to use the very common Crown Victoria and the disc brakes off of its 8.8" axle on early Ford axles. Check it out!

http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/braking-articles/488169-budget-rear-discs-8-small-9-axles.html
does this setup work on any 8 inch rear , such as a maverick or just the mustang 8 inch? thanks for any replys
This setup will work on any 8" or small bearing 9" axle, mustang, maverick or otherwise

The explorer setup can only be installed on large bearing or Torino style 9" axles. The Vic setup is for all small bearing setups 8" or 9"

summit has a nice kit thats 450-550.

however, they say in the installation guide that all you got to do with the Master cylinder is to remove the residual valve in the OEM MC. i'm wondering if this is sufficient. some guys in the fordmuscle.com forums have done it but don't hear how well it comes out. some people just put an adjustable porportioning valve in there to the rear brakes. i guess some guys just put a original disc/disc brake car MC but i don't know if they still put a porportioning valve or not.

what have you guys done to your disc/disc set up?

I have heard it both ways. Some swear that you need a prop. valve and the next says you dont. No more than they cost I went ahead and bought one myself. Being I'm going to run four wheel manual disc I figured I would need all the help I could get. Wilwood specked out the mc and the valve. So they are the experts ........hopefully.

I have heard it both ways. Some swear that you need a prop. valve and the next says you dont. No more than they cost I went ahead and bought one myself. Being I'm going to run four wheel manual disc I figured I would need all the help I could get. Wilwood specked out the mc and the valve. So they are the experts ........hopefully.
having the wilwood MC with the valve seems like a greaet idea but i bet its a pretty penny. considering alot of people use some factory MC from whatever vehicle which is roughly 50-100 dollars or so.

having the wilwood MC with the valve seems like a greaet idea but i bet its a pretty penny. considering alot of people use some factory MC from whatever vehicle which is roughly 50-100 dollars or so.
Not to bad if you say it real quick and stay away from the polished.:D

This is great to know!!! I will definately go this route on the rear. Any cheap options on a similiar setup for the front? I've heard Granada brakes work but don't know the details. I was prepared to lay down the cash for all new front and rear conversion kits but at close to $2000 I'm definately interested in some lower priced options.

Back