Need some advices - new wheels for my 72 Grande

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sly_drums

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Grande / 351 Clev. 2V + Weiand XCelerator intake + Holley 600 CFM carb
Hello guys, I want to order a complete set of new wheels for my 72 Grande. I currently have 15"x8,5" wheels on the rear, 14"x7" on the front with big offest value.

I'd like four same wheels and I think 15" wheels will look better than 14" but the problem is the backspacing/offset. My Mustang is currently a bit more higher on the rear than it "should" be and I want to come back to the original configuration because it's better for a sport car and weekend cruising on the road.

My choice goes to the classic Magnum 500 wheels :

magnum5002.jpg

Or something like Cragar would be nice too (I'm afraid of "too modern" so I'm not sure) :

cragar-wheels.jpg

Which wheel size do you advise me to go for ? Which backspacing/offset values should I care for ? 15"x8" size looks nice but I don't know if it will fit my needs ; it's a bit difficult to know if one determined wheel set will corectly mount on my Mustang because I want to lower the car like in the original configuration.

Any input is welcome !

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like both your choices, I also found these and really liked them. Was planning on them in 17". I like the smooth outer rim without all the humps. But then I got a deal on some 17x9 ss cragars that were new for 1/2 price so I went that way. I agree with the to modern, I"m the same way. I figure old school car, old school driver, why not old school wheel.

http://www.cruizinconceptswholesale.com/proddetail.asp?prod=100C-5706500&cat=490

I went with the Vintage 45 in a 16 X 8 on my '73 Grande with absolutely no problem. The tires are BFG G Force KDW 245/50/16.

166ac0l.jpg

BT

I am very biased on this subject, Magnum 500s look the best. These will fit front and rear, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WVI-54-5712044/ As far as I know a 245x60x15, on a 15x7 rim with 4.25 inch back spacing, is the largest 15 inch tire that will clear in the front. A 275x60x15 will clear in the rear using a 15x8 rim with a 4.5-4.75 back spacing. All 4 rims and tires being the same size will permit tire rotation. Chuck

I dont think you can go wrong with the 500s but totally disagree about the "too modern" thing.

Craiger SS have been around since the 60's----when I was in high school your car wasnt worth a crap if you didnt have a set of CSS on them---Everyone wanted them and everyone remembers em. And isnt that part of classic cars draw really?? Taking you back to the things you remember from your youth--- To me they just scream classic muscle.

With that all being said I've got a set like Cobra--Of course I picked them up cheap with tires so wasnt a hard choice--and Im not fond of chrome lol

I'm running Magnums on mine, 15X7 front with 235/60/15 and 15X8 rears with 255/70/15. The suspension is lower than stock with no rubbing issues. I need to replace the rubber and I'm thinking 235/60/15 again for the front but switching to 275/60/15 on the rear. 0430111916.jpg

I'm also torn with wanting to run a more modern 17" wheel and tire combination I really like the 10th anniversary SVO wheel. oe-m-ds-5-g-ml-105-2ps.jpg

I'm running Magnums on mine, 15X7 front with 235/60/15 and 15X8 rears with 255/70/15. The suspension is lower than stock with no rubbing issues. I need to replace the rubber and I'm thinking 235/60/15 again for the front but switching to 275/60/15 on the rear.

I'm also torn with wanting to run a more modern 17" wheel and tire combination I really like the 10th anniversary SVO wheel.
New wheel for a new tranny, Just Sayin

Thanks ! I think 15x7 Magnum 500 will do it fine :)

Cragar look good too but are a bit more expensive.

I went about as big as you can go with the magnum 500's. You can click on my signature for specs. It's not for everyone and you may find the best practical size is 15x7 235/60's in the front and 15x8 255/60 in the rear.

The bad thing is even though a wheel/tire may look wide off the car, our cars make them look small when installed.

Mezapu, it looks great ! Amazing restoration job :) Killer Mach 1. I'd love to have mine like this one day.

My best option looks like 15x7 everywhere :)

Mezapu, it looks great ! Amazing restoration job :) Killer Mach 1. I'd love to have mine like this one day.

My best option looks like 15x7 everywhere :)
Thank you for the compliments.

If you are going to go square on the wheels I suggest at least go 15x8 all the way around. You'll be much happier in the end.

Will 15x8 Magnum 500 fit in the front without problems ?

its not a picture, but the link above will show you how 17x11's rear and 17x8's front looks like in a still/moving fashion!!! :D:D:D

Had a set of Crager SS stolen off my 66 Chevelle. They left me some nice cinder blocks :-(

Will 15x8 Magnum 500 fit in the front without problems ?
I have 15x8's on the front of my car with 245/60/15's. The tire on the drivers side will just barely touch the heads of the bolts for the power steering box at full left lock. No issues with it like that for about 12 years now. Next time I get tires for the front I'm going to install 235/60/15's.

I don't really have a great pic of just the front wheel/tires on my car but you can get the gyst from these pics.

b12czap.jpg

Magnum500s011.jpg

cars09003.jpg

Latest posts

Back