BEAD BLASTING PARTS ON THE CHEAP

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
Got this great hf blast cabinet from my family for the holidays..Thought you guys may like to see how well it works ! Awsome tool for the money ! ENJOY:cool:

Got this great hf blast cabinet from my family for the holidays..Thought you guys may like to see how well it works ! Awsome tool for the money ! ENJOY:cool:

Nice! This in an invaluable tool for this kind of work! We have an old Snap On cabinet about the same size.

I have the same one, it works great. My 7 year old does all my sandblasting for me. I did buy the dust reclaimer kit for it. With the air pressure it would try to blow the bead out of the seals.

Q,

I bought the same cabinet earlier this year. I had some luck with it, but it kept clogging at the gun nozzle. Do you have a drier on your airline? I have tried a couple of different media's. I will look for alum oxide fine grit next. What PSI are you running your compressor at?

Q,

I bought the same cabinet earlier this year. I had some luck with it, but it kept clogging at the gun nozzle. Do you have a drier on your airline? I have tried a couple of different media's. I will look for alum oxide fine grit next. What PSI are you running your compressor at?
B..I don't have a dryer but do have a filter water separator with the air hose running down to the floor then up to the ceiling basically the same principle as a s trap in your home plumbing..I've always plumbed my compressor set ups this way. I'm running the larger nozzle & I think that is the key to keep material flowing..compressor at 110psi there is some loss in the line since mines pretty long so I guess 90-100 at the gun

I have the same one, it works great. My 7 year old does all my sandblasting for me. I did buy the dust reclaimer kit for it. With the air pressure it would try to blow the bead out of the seals.
We used silicone caulking on every seam & every nut & bolt we installed..No dust or anything coming out of anywhere !

Last edited by a moderator:
Two tools everyone needs:

1: Air Compressor

2 Blast Cabinet

What's the air rating on your compressor? Does it keep up with the blaster?

I suggest a minimum of a 5 hp compressor and 10 HP is ideal at 120 PSI, or minimum 100 PSI, Alumina Media is aggressive enough for rust removal, and plastic media is great for just paint removal, I have used a HEPA wet/dry vacuum or a bag filtered Wet/dry vacuum connected at exhaust port of blaster cabinet for dust removal.

Amazing Scott... this is a fantastic tool... i actually made one very very before christ desinged by myself :p to do some little parts... it does not work great but till now it made a lot of blasting in small parts... I usually like to keep original nuts and bolts and for that, it is wonderful :p

Enjoy the gift!!

Two tools everyone needs:

1: Air Compressor

2 Blast Cabinet

What's the air rating on your compressor? Does it keep up with the blaster?
5.5 scfm @90psi..It's doing the job but I could use a bit more It's running more than i would like it to, so maybe after the holidays I will upgrade.

I purchased a similar model about 5 yrs ago, but it was the bench type without a light. I purchased a mini halogen from Lowes for $20 and installed it. They last about 100 hrs before the metal fatigues to the point the glass retaining ring falls off. I just replace it with a new one. Since I finished my last car a couple yrs ago, it's now on loan to a buddy who is working on his project.

I also have purchased a comparable one (90 liters space) 2 years ago on ebay for about 90 Euros incl. blast gun.

The box was worth every penny, as about 70 perent of blastable parts on a 71-73 fit into it. The largest parts I have blasted was an intake manifold and the air cleaner housing. Over the past years I have made hundredas of parts, screws and small stuff included.

The injector-type gun is prone to clogging. This seems to be a weak point in all of these cabinets. You need absolutely dry air and you need lots of it. My compressor is not capable of this, so after a minute of blasting I have to wait for the air tank on the compressor to refill.

The dust filter of the box also used to clog, so i modified it. If I didn't, there would be an overpressure buildup inside as the filter gets dirty over time.

I have also added two cheap 12V neon lamps to enhance the installed lighting which was a bit insufficient for comfortable work.

As blast media I use granulated copper slag, garnet, or korund in various grains. Not tried glass yet.

Here is a picture of the air cleaner snorkel in the box during blasting.

DSC00661.JPG

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Back