dash board lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang convertible
94 mustang gt convertible
I just pulled the gauge assembly out of my 73 convertible to replace the pc board and lights. I found that the old owner had electrical taped two bulbs holders down to the assembly to hold them in place. Is there any way to repair the light mounting holes. i am thinking about using a thin piece of plastic maybe 2"x2" cutting the mounting hole into the plastic and glueing this over the original hole.

are there any other suggestions.

thanks george

I just pulled the gauge assembly out of my 73 convertible to replace the pc board and lights. I found that the old owner had electrical taped two bulbs holders down to the assembly to hold them in place. Is there any way to repair the light mounting holes. i am thinking about using a thin piece of plastic maybe 2"x2" cutting the mounting hole into the plastic and glueing this over the original hole.

thanks george
Tape worked pretty good so far :s

Fixing the plastic I think would be a problem.

You might ask Don at OMS (site vendor) if he has

another of what you are trying to fix. There may

also be reproductions available.

mike

thanks george

mike
? What gage setup do You Have. One with clock, Tach, or the standard Idiot Light setup? I may be able to help you with a good Housing.

thanks george

mike
? What gage setup do You Have. One with clock, Tach, or the standard Idiot Light setup? I may be able to help you with a good Housing.
idiot light only

thanks george
Fixing the housing with a piece of plastic sounds good. Actually, it is the kind of idea I would have come up with. It is more work as if you tape the bulb holder, but tape is likely to come loose with age. A piece of plasic would set the bulb back only a small distance which seems acceptable. Just make sure you use the right glue for the type of plastic.

Of course, if you want it to be perfect you could try to get a new/used housing. Don't know for how much that would be sold.

- Manfred

i found a plastic picture frame at hobby lobby that is the same thickness so i am going to try cutting that as a first try. the side that has the broken plastic is the side with the speedometer so if there is a good housing out there i would rather do that.

Make sure bulb is good and surfaces are squeaky clean, apply a small amount of "Automotive Goop" to bind the plastic socket to the housing, and small piece of "Gorilla Tape" across the socket to the housing to maintain the electrical connection while the glue sets up. The glue is very sticky and doesn't completely harden so it will take the vibration. The tape has crazy adhesion and will act as a back up for the glue. Chuck

Well I did a search, i do have the backing plate from a clock, I also have my original cluster that i removed from my 73 vert. If you think you can use the backing plate from the clock you're more than welcome to it, if you want the original cluster throw me a price and we'll go from there.

I have an entire cluster for idiot lights that includes the speedo, fuel gauge and printed circuit sheet. All the lights are tight. How does $50 plus shipping sound for everything?

Steve

2012_01040001.jpg

Back