Here's something ya don't see every day

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister 4x4

Too Big to Sneak
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
Operawindow.jpg

Anybody ever seen anything like this? It's a '73 coupe with what looks like factory (or very nicely done) opera windows. The sail panels look stock, and everything matches up like it's supposed to.

Weird... and kinda cool.

That's as strange as the one we discussed on here that had the "factory" sunroof. Maybe the same company did this too.

A guy down the road from me has a 72 coupe with the same kind of port windows. He said the previous owner had them installed. Fugly in my opinion. But whatever. He is in the process of welding a patch panel in there to cover.

Though I haven't seen this on a Mustang before, I remember that in 1973 the term "opera window" was being used by a lot of manufacturers. Ford was putting opera windows on the fancier big body models, and the one you have pictured looks like an imitation of the original T-bird opera window.

In the early days of disco. they were real popular on Caddys along with the shag rugs and fur coats. (for further reference, see movie "Dirty Harry" pimp scene (LMFAO).) A large hat with a feather on the side was popular at that time also. I just didn't associate any of that with a Mustang before!

Yeah... by 'kinda cool,' I meant 'kinda cool because it's unique.' I'm not so sure I'd want those on my coupe (if I had a coupe, that is).

If that was an old Chevy van, I'd be all over it! LOL!

Nice find though!

I remember seeing that on a Mustang when I was a kid ......back when the cars were pretty much new. I asked a friend of mine about once when we were talking about strange options.....I was told I was wrong as they only came on T-birds and Lincs.......so nice to prove that my memory isn't all that bad yet!

But I have to agree.....Fugly!

Last edited by a moderator:
The rectangular-ish ones from a 76 Torino would have looked better on a mustang coupe rather than the round boat window port hole IMHO.

9huwb9.jpg

Those were definitely popular back in the 70's. I wonder how they would look in my convertible top :rolleyes:
Mike, you know we support all kinds of mods. Feel free to try it. Be sure to give us lot of pics along the way. Lol

Back