Parking windshield wipers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManniB

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Hi all,

I'm not sure if I have a problem with my windshield wipers or not. My concern is regarding the park position. If I switch the wipers off they reliably return to a "low" position (to the passenger side) but are still visible above the hood from the front. I assume (but am not sure) that they should hide lower so they aren't visible anymore.

The wiring diagram says something like: "When windshield wiper switch is in the park position & "W" contact is moved to its closed position (by pushing the washer switch), the windshield wiper switch is cammed to its low position."

Does this mean the wipers should hide when the washer switch is pressend (mine do not)?

My car is a '71 Mach 1 and the wipers are of the intermitted type.

Thank you, Manfred

the windshield wipers are adjustable go down to the base of the windsheild wiper where it goes into the cowl , pull up on the top half of the wiper arm, it will pop off the block below it.

if you flip the wiper arm top over and look at where it mounts into the block you will see it has teeth inside for different positions.

just figure out where you want the wiper to sit then place it back onto the block Vola! you repeat for the other wiper arm and even them up.

if you need help i can take a picture.

mine don't quite hide all the way either, I haven't noticed the washer having anything to do with how low they are. :-/
Hi Widowmaker,

thanks for the reply. I have tried to figure out if the washer switch has anything to do with parking but with no success. However, the note on the wirering diagram is there and I'm still wondering what it may mean.

I noticed your place is Germany, I live in Bavaria.

Regards, Manfred

the windshield wipers are adjustable go down to the base of the windsheild wiper where it goes into the cowl , pull up on the top half of the wiper arm, it will pop off the block below it.

if you flip the wiper arm top over and look at where it mounts into the block you will see it has teeth inside for different positions.

just figure out where you want the wiper to sit then place it back onto the block Vola! you repeat for the other wiper arm and even them up.

if you need help i can take a picture.
Thank you 72HCODE, I got what you mean. Actually there seems to be room on mine to adjust the wiper arms further down. I will give that a try once I figure out how to get them off.

Regards, Manfred

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm jealous that you live in Bavaria. What a beautiful place. When I was stationed in Germany I used to visit Garmisch-Partenkirchen all the time. Man talk about a wonderful area.

just to clarify, there is a parking circuit its job is to bring the wipers to the home position when you turn them off. so where ever the wipers are during a stroke they instantly go to the home position.

the reason the wipers themselves are adjustable is for 2 reason:

1) the tolerance on the parts is pretty bad so you needed to be able to adjust them.

2) they can come up above the cowl for the winter driving. any time you have the wipers buried down behind the cowl out of the sun they can become frozen in the winter from melt or moisture. So in the winter you would adjust them up so the wipers were less likely to freeze to the glass. most of us don't drive our 71-73s in the winter so we leave them in the down position year round.

I'm jealous that you live in Bavaria. What a beautiful place. When I was stationed in Germany I used to visit Garmisch-Partenkirchen all the time. Man talk about a wonderful area.
Yep, Bavaria is beautiful. Actually I live north of Munich near Ingolstadt, home of the Audi cars.

just to clarify, there is a parking circuit its job is to bring the wipers to the home position when you turn them off. so where ever the wipers are during a stroke they instantly go to the home position.

the reason the wipers themselves are adjustable is for 2 reason:

1) the tolerance on the parts is pretty bad so you needed to be able to adjust them.

2) they can come up above the cowl for the winter driving. any time you have the wipers buried down behind the cowl out of the sun they can become frozen in the winter from melt or moisture. So in the winter you would adjust them up so the wipers were less likely to freeze to the glass. most of us don't drive our 71-73s in the winter so we leave them in the down position year round.
Hi 72HCODE,

thank you for the interesting explanation. That makes sense to me. I will try to re-adjust mine on the weekend.

Regards, Manfred

Last edited by a moderator:
Back