Urethane bumper repair

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach172

Reaction score
My Car
Mach 1 72, 302, C4, restoration in progress
Hi guys,

I tried to search over the forum but cant find this thread there. I am in the process to finish my '72 and the front bumper repair started. The bumper was in seriously bad shape. The urethane cover had several heavy cracks about 1/4 -1/2 inch wide and also several hair line cracks all around. I have brushed the paint. I cut the urethane cover and remove metal bracket which was hit by some accident. I have to fabricate an weld apx. 1 ft of right side as it was completely rusty. This weekend, trial test the bumper on the car. It fits quite well. Now to the questions.

What adhesive to stick the urethane cover to the inner metal reinforcement. I feel a Polyurethane seam sealer might work. I tried its sticky to urethane used to bumper.

How to repair big and small crack. I intend to use PU sealer as well at least to fill heavy cracks. however this material is difficult to brush to complete, It has to be rather to cut with a blade.

I live in Europe and there is difficult to get any specific product for urethane bumper repair. Any idea what kind of stuff can work.

I see a 2k flexible epoxy in the market here. Its not so cheap but I can try. Ordering something from US is to wait 8 weeks for for delivery.

As next I plan to use several coats of epoxy primer, then base and clear coat. Not sure if any flexible agent is needed in the paint.

I want to duplicate original look of my car so a chrome bumper replacement is the last option of course.

Any help will be appreciated if somebody had an experience with repairs.

I'll be watching this tread for two reasons:

1) I need to repair my bumper as well.

2) I am a big fan of the Czech Republic, my family came here from there. I have visited, love it , and hope to visit again soon.

Good luck with your project, please post your progress!

Thanks guys. I have read through the old repair thread and found some interesting tips there.

As the bumper is the last thing to complete the car after 4 years I will be working on in in coming weeks. I try to post progress and pictures in this thread to document it.

Full car restoration progress can be seem at bellow link. Sorry, only in Czech language, I have no time to make an English translation:(

http://www.mach172.cz/1211CZ.html

Here is the actual bumper condition

Bumper attached to the car. - hit on its right side probably somewhere in the past (actually full frame rail was a trash)

bumper01.jpg

Urethane cover removed from the inner metal core which was damaged by moisture and rust.

bumper02.jpg

bumper03.jpg

Fabrication of the metal core's The right ear side, I created.

bumper04.jpg

bumper05.jpg

Just checked out your website, very impressive! Wish I was that far along....... Oh yes, great color combination too!

Thanks, I am not an expert but I'll try to do it the best way I can.

Seems your cars is the same color as mine - peweter metalic. I like this color with red vermillion interior.

Just checked out your website, very impressive! Wish I was that far along....... Oh yes, great color combination too!

I checked out your website. You do GREAT work. Very skilled in metal work. That is gonna be a beautiful car when you are finished. Also my favorite color. I used google tool bar to translate the website to english and it worked great. you should be very proud of the work you have done. Great car. Good luck with the finish, cant wait to see final product.

Kevin

I spent couple of hours on bumper repair during last Sunday. I want to share some progress picture here.

Metal bumper core was just tack welded and I put the urethane cover back on it temporary. I installed bumper with fenders on the car back. I am pretty satisfied with alignment and gaps to fenders.

bumper06.jpg

bumper07.jpg

I removed the urethane cover and fully seam welded the core

bumper08.jpg

bumper09.jpg

Next weekend I plan to smooth the welds and sandblast the metal core and put few layers of epoxy primer on it.

Wow excellent work!

And no time is necessary for you to translate. We (using English-based browsers) can simply copy and paste

http://www.mach172.cz/1211CZ.html

into Google and then instead of choosing the link, select the option "translate this page".

Not sure if you see this option for a Czech language browser but I know we can use for english translation!

Really great job in documenting your progress.

Ray

Hello Mach172,

I have seen the progress of your interesting project in your webpage during 2010.

Actually I posted a link to your work in another post in the forum, but I did not know that you have already joined the forum = http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-73-door-repair?page=2

Good to know that you are working again on the Mustang.

I like your work.

Martin

looks like you know what you're doing. if you need help on parts or anything else send me a note. i'm in vienna so not really that far away.

abudi

Back