More 71-73 Mustang Models

333839626_FranklinMach1001.jpg.201ac76d9a3835396212cd50fddc46a8.jpg102796634_metalmodels001.jpg.0d007e54339981f033dc71b581ba85d9.jpg1476722385_metalmodels002.jpg.1a6c93db803c1b2777701da0c75d14fd.jpg1025406059_metalmodels003.jpg.b8b8fc1556bdfeaf8d7961123a11ab12.jpg910494127_metalmodels004.jpg.cdb5a9b02c9a159d56f877b3b953a719.jpg810056807_metalmodels005.jpg.3103554c80d2b6de41b51df4a4a3fe17.jpgFirst the good and bad. I'll save the ugly for later.

The Danbury Mint 71 429 Mach1 in metallic blue is stunning.

From the pictures you can see they spent some time doing their research before letting the Chinese make them. I'm sure we could find a few things to nitpick but it is a beautiful built model - no assembly required. Even the trunk opens as do the doors. The bad news is the last one Ebay sold for $136 and these are not easy to find as they are out of production. They also did a 71 Boss 351 in pewter.

Now for the ugly. At first glance the black and yellow Testors metal kits look okay. I built them in a few days as the bodies are prepainted. From the side all looks okay - like a 71-72 Mach1. But - on the back on the yellow one there's the 73 Mach1 decal and the front has the 73 bumper but the 71-72 grille. Open the hood and there's a BOSS 429 :rolleyes: engine, not a 429 or 351 (or even a 302). The rear spoiler is too high but I could fix that. Since these sell for about $20-$30 I might pick one up and repaint it and do some kit bashing and make a 73 Mach1 (with the correct grille) since I cannot remove the front metal bumper without a blow torch. The Testors kit was based on the AMT plastic kits except of course the Testors kits are metal and have opening hinged doors.

Speaking of those AMT/MPC plastic kits, they are pretty bad from an accuracy standpoint. Here's my ratings of these overpriced "collector" kits:

Body - 8 of 10, Interior - 7 of 10, Chassis - 5 of ten, Engine compartment - 3 of ten, Engine - 1 of ten (unless you are building a 302 version). With a lot of work you can build a respectable and accurate looking kit but be prepared to spend hours getting to something that looks as nice as the pics of that grabber lime Mach1 I posted. If you like the color just get one of those Franklin Mint models - it's well worth the price.

Vamach1 - 72 Sprint conv & 72 Mach1

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1631755461_machmodels004.jpg.c270f1b2249b3e0d8f57bcdc0497f166.jpg

Nice job! Anyone know of any coupe model kits? You fastback guys seem to get all the glory ;)

The bad news is no there wasn't ever a coupe version. The only possibility is to get a fastback kit and perhaps graft a Cougar roof to it or build it from scratch from sheet plastic. I hacked off the roof of a fastback to make a convertible so it's possible but not for the novice builder. You can see the conv in the picture attached to the left of the orange drag car.

• 1 year later...

I found some coupe kits.

http://www.motorcityresincasters.com/mcrcf.htm

They are actually just bodies made to fit the Mach 1/boss kits. Thought I'd share, kinda cool. I'm looking to build a car for my wedding cake topper.

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-mustang-mach-1]Visit My Garage[/button]

I found some coupe kits.

http://www.motorcityresincasters.com/mcrcf.htm

They are actually just bodies made to fit the Mach 1/boss kits. Thought I'd share, kinda cool. I'm looking to build a car for my wedding cake topper.

Awesome!!!! I've looked on and off for years for a coupe kit. My plan was to someday cut up a FB kit and a cougar kit to make a coupe Mustang. Thanks for the link!

2011smallsig_zps31c630dc.png

"It's what you learn after you know it

all that counts."

-Chip Foose

No problem. I'm getting together a few kits to build a basic idea of how my car will look when it is done. There were actually quite a few 71-73 kits out there.

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-mustang-mach-1]Visit My Garage[/button]

The Franklin mint rocks! I gotta have one. Nice work on the models too. Might go that route as well. I like this Mach 1 model stuff. It's almost as cool as getting a new garage tool!!!

28iw51u.png

"I prayed to God he would change Johnny but his plan was to change me"

Gene Stallings

I absolutely LOVE all of them, especially the 71 429! I couldn't find any 71-73 Mustangs on the franklin mint or eBay websites. I already have the pewter 71 Mach 1, I really like the pre-painted metal model kits. I'll post some pictures tomorrow, l display them at work. I also love hot wheels. I have 26 (I think) different Mustangs along with lots of other models. Keep posting!

1_24_09_13_4_29_06.png

Dang, every time I try to build a model it ends up either unfinished sitting on a shelf, or as a hacked up pile of plastic bits sitting in my trash can, certainly something I'm not gifted at though I seem to love to try! Very impressive stuff, those Franklin mint models are really nice. I may have to scourer eBay for one now!

2013 Ford Focus SE Flex Fuel 5spd - Daily Driver

• 2 weeks later...

I finally managed to snag a Mustang kit I've been hunting for for the better part of 20 years...not many have heard of it, let alone even seen it before. I had talked with a guy who goes to Carlise PA every year, has tons and tons of kits (vintage and new) and even he looked at me blankly when I asked him about it...well no more searching for me!!

Ladies and gentleman, boys and girls, I present to you...the Doyusha 1/12 scale 71 Mach 1!!!

MustangKit1.jpg

This baby is a monster!! Measures in 15 inches long! Opening doors, folding seat, working stearing...even the twist lock hood hold downs work (at least according to the instructions they will ;) ).

MustangKit2.jpg

MustangKit3.jpg

MustangKit6.jpg

MustangKit6.jpg

Some small details aren't 100%, like the "Jet Ram Air" hood decal

MustangKit8.jpg

and the small area on the front fenders for what I am guessing is reflectors (might be a Japanese requirement on cars at the time, don't know...but since it was made in Japan, that is my guess).

MustangKit5.jpg

The front end of the Police Mustang here from Japan shows those same little reflectors...adding to my belief.

uBX21.jpg

(I need to stop looking at that pic...I am starting to like the paint job!! and the cool Japanese police badge in the center of the grill!! :rolleyes: )

Now I just have to wait to find the time to build it...between work, other projects, the real Mustang...time isn't as "available" as it used to be. Plus I need to wait to build it...two young ones (ages 2 and 4) and a third on the way...they would enjoy getting ahold of it! :P

Michael

That is really cool! If you don't mind me asking but where did you get it and how much did you pay?

I got it off EBay, usually I see them for sale out of Japan and they ask $250.00 for them...found this one in the States for just a hair over the hundred mark. Probably overpaid (I am sure now they will show up by the dozens for a lot less! :rolleyes: ) but I've been looking for so long I couldn't pass the opportunity up.

Michael

The Doyusha model is basically the Japanese version of the car that required some extra reflectors for registration in Japan. When they sold it as the T5 , they couldn't be called mustangs due to copywrites outside of the USA.

The Doyusha model is very cool has some issues like the trunk not being finished. I've seen people really go nuts on the detail with it including making roll up windows. And a working door latch and lock there was a video and I had a model mag showing the lengths to which people went to add realism to the Doyusha model. Doyusha also made a copy of the kit in smaller 1/25 scale in addition to the 1/12 scale.

Years ago a friend of mine turned one into a r/c car body for a 1/12 scale pan chassis.

Very cool. Many guys also buy the kit and start to get into it and realize its a massive amount of work to complete the kit, so they put it away. I have a 1/12 Lamborghini muira from Doyusha that I might never finish it has working torsion suspension. Very cool kits.

There is an old MPC 1/25 scale 71-72 kit that is very rare and very accurate as well. Even has modeled mach 1 fender decals as part of the plastic. Very hard to detail correctly. The most common you see is the 1973 MPC kit that was butchered to look like the 71-72 cars.

I bought the crappy 73 version then made my own front end for it and decals set to make it look more correct for 1972 and made a digital slot car out of it.

http://s609.photobucket.com/user/furball1975/library/124?sort=3&page=1

I got the 1/25 version as well! It used to be harder to find the 71-73 Mustangs model kits. I can't remember which compnay made it (might have been revell) but the "best" option used to be the Boss 351 kit...but the lines weren't right and for some odd reason all the 71-73 Mustang kits I've seen and had were just like it, the hood had the cowl vents (not sure if that is the proper term, but is was the slots cut along the back end of some hoods) on it...not even close to what the real hood looks like.

I am happy with my find!

Michael

When I had surgery this winter , I bought the only kit I could find in a local hobby shop, AMT 71 Mustang. It looks like a cross between a 71 + 69 mustang with a little "CUDA" mixed in. I finished it anyways and painted it "KERMIT" green. :P

1_11_01_14_4_00_47.jpeg

460 , Edelbrock Performer carb. + intake , 204 / 214 cam , Pertronix Flamethrower 2 billet dizzy + coil , Crites long tubes , C6 .

untitled.png

From what I've been reading online, MPC is reissuing this kit come August this year! Below is a copy of the kit[/b] description...

1970's Hot Rod Magazine Mustang Funny Car

Item No: MPC801

Release Date: August 2013

MPC reintroduces the Hot Rod Magazine Mustang Funny Car! This sleek 70's flopper is a kit with a valuepacked bonus-a free one year subscription to Hot Rod magazine! Featuring a blown drag motor, factory prelettered slicks, tubular "short dragster" chassis and optional twin open parachutes. Improved decal graphics and packaging inspired by the vintage original will make this kit a sure fire seller!

•Scale: 1/25

•Skill Level: 2 (ages 10 and up)

•Glue assembly, paint required

•Molded in white

•Free 1-year subscription offer to Hot Rod magazine

•Fully detailed "short dragster" tubular chassis

•Blown drag motor

•Factory pre-lettered drag slicks

•Improved and expanded decal graphics

•Vintage-kit packaging style

I decided to take apart my Danbury Mint Boss 351 and cast the parts to make the AMT and MPC plastic kits a lot better. The FM diecasts are superb but at $150 or so each on Ebay that is too pricey to take apart and then have to glue back together and hope it looks as good as new. The DM Mach1 is the model in the middle - the others are the Testors kits.1269922995_metalmodels001.thumb.jpg.9682ba4ba8abe7f171abe6fda325ef47.jpg

Here are the parts I had cast.

To remind you guys - there are some resin kits out there of a coupe and perhaps they will also do a convertible. http://www.motorcityresincasters.com/71MustangGrandeBase.htm

Rex1283970502_7173parts001.thumb.JPG.5ef9a1353be5efdaa525ac49411f8e5b.JPG

Wow, this is some great info. on the model scene. I always thought it would be cool if one of the die cast manufacturers allowed for customers to order any factory exterior color for their own car. I would think they could make some pretty good money by upcharging over the pricing for the main production car if the customer was able to order the exterior color of their car. I have a diecast 72 model that is pretty accurate in the box, but it is red. I would like to paint in my cars color, but I will loose the stripes. Anyhow, anyone with connections into this industry should throw that idea out there. I would pay some extra money for a die cast in my cars color.

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

Motormax did 1/24 diecast sportsroofs in many colors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Ford-Mustang-Sportsroof-MOTORMAX-Diecast-1-24-Scale-Blue-/390615792581?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item5af283fbc5

You can also find them under the brand America Grafitti

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-FORD-MUSTANG-BOSS-351-WHITE-1-24-AMERICAN-GRAFFITI-/140347710337?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item20ad601b81

Jada did 73 Mach1's in many colors but of course they're not stock

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jada-1-24-1973-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-Blue-NIB-/310707073522?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item485795b1f2

They are what you would expect for the price. I'd pay to buy the Franklin Mint models unbuilt any day of the week. They did the Mach1 in blue and Boss in Pewter and that was it. Here's one on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/DANBURY-MINT-NBR-LE-1-24-1971-MUSTANG-MACH-1-BRIGHT-BLUE-METALLIC-/380679487033?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item58a243fe39

I don't have any pictures (and my collection is currently packed away), but another manufacturer that I think did an excellent job on a 71 Mustang is Sun Star ...

http://www.sunstarmodelcars.com/3606/3606.htm

Opening doors, folding seats, opening trunk (can even see the fire extinguisher in there), detailed engine and 1:18 scale to boot...not the greatest, but given the limited options we lovers of the big horse have...definately worth getting in my opinion. Only issue I had was the lightly glued on antenna stub, popped mine off taking it out of the box, but easy enough to glue back on.

Michael

I got the 1/25 version as well! It used to be harder to find the 71-73 Mustangs model kits. I can't remember which compnay made it (might have been revell) but the "best" option used to be the Boss 351 kit...but the lines weren't right and for some odd reason all the 71-73 Mustang kits I've seen and had were just like it, the hood had the cowl vents (not sure if that is the proper term, but is was the slots cut along the back end of some hoods) on it...not even close to what the real hood looks like.

I am happy with my find!

Michael

I hate the cowl vent hood mistake!

Three Franklin/Danbury Bosses on ebay right now http://www.ebay.com/itm/DANBURY-MINT-1971-FORD-MUSTANG-BOSS-351-/261235382785