Hood Hinge Spring Removal?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72Q-code

Reaction score
My Car
72 Q-code Mach 1, 351C 4 speed.

72 F Mach 1, 302 Automatic W/air.
I would like to remove the hood hinge springs so that I can media blast everything a little better before I Zinc Phosphate them. The hinges are off the car, and as usual the hinges are in the "open" position.

It appears that the open position is the less loaded of the two. However just for fun I tried bolting them to the bench and closing them. Even with a three foot cheater bar bolted where the hood should be, it was still more force than I wanted to use to move them.

So, anyone ever removed, and reassembled a spring to a set of hinges and lived to tell me how without hurting myself?

FWIW these are "square" spring Ram Air hinges.

Thanks!

Jim

Can"t say I"m familiar with what you mean by ram air hinges unless the ram air required a stiffer spring, for the extra weight. Also I see your from CBUS thats only about 45 miles from me. and theres another member BDK who is from Delaware.

But the answer is yes and I"m still alive.

Can"t say I"m familiar with what you mean by ram air hinges unless the ram air required a stiffer spring, for the extra weight. Also I see your from CBUS thats only about 45 miles from me. and theres another member BDK who is from Delaware.

There are two different sets of springs.

HoodSpringComparison2.jpg

found here: http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/mustang_exterior.htm

As for the removal, with the hinges in the open position see if you can move the spring off its "perches". I haven't tried this but I'm sure somebody else will chime in with the right way to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

There are two different sets of springs.

HoodSpringComparison2.jpg

found here: http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/mustang_exterior.htm

As for the removal, with the hinges in the open position see if you can move the spring off its "perches". I haven't tried this but I'm sure somebody else will chime in with the right way to do it.

Thanks J NOW i KNOW WHY MY HOOD JUST BARLEY STAYS UP. Jeeesh now Don will get more of my money.

Ok guys I just went out to the stang, cause I"m still in the shop painting. I put a pry bar in the rear spring perch and against the end of the spring and leveraged against the the hinge, it popped right off and the front perch to spring didnt even unhook. Hope this helps alittle.Oh and thanks to mach 1 mamma for the info also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question. I am having trouble with the wieght of the hood with the Ram air plenum installed. Is there a part number for the different style of spring and where is lthe best place to order. Thanks in advance for any info.

I would like to remove the hood hinge springs so that I can media blast everything a little better before I Zinc Phosphate them. The hinges are off the car, and as usual the hinges are in the "open" position.

It appears that the open position is the less loaded of the two. However just for fun I tried bolting them to the bench and closing them. Even with a three foot cheater bar bolted where the hood should be, it was still more force than I wanted to use to move them.

So, anyone ever removed, and reassembled a spring to a set of hinges and lived to tell me how without hurting myself?

FWIW these are "square" spring Ram Air hinges.

Thanks!

Jim
Jim,

Ask & you shall receive:p

You need to make a set of these...Thick bolt..some thick bar stock on each end welded VERY good..

Set the hood at half open insert into spring fully (In the pic they are not fully inserted)...Lift hood..spring comes out..

100_3136.JPG100_3138.JPG

The square spring was used on any hood withe NACA ducts with or without Ram Air. The correct coating is phosphate and oil. As far as I know they are not reproduced, or weren't a year ago. I got mine from Don at OMS.

Chuck

With the hinge on the car or in a vice, loop a old v-belt over one end. With a strong pull you can stretch the spring, and pull it over the detent.

Wow, thanks for all the info guys. My hinges are off the car, so I will try one of the off the car methods and report back. The hood that came off is a NASA/NACA hood without the Ram Air plenum. I called it a Ram Air hood to avoid the NASA/NACA "discussion", but likely made things even more confusing in doing so:)

I hope that in removing the springs I can close them up to make them smaller when I do the phosphating so they fit in my current cooker. I do not want to use the wife's big soup pot...

Tanks!

I always use a small length of chain hooked over the front end of spring with hinges on the car to pull forward and get spring off of hinge, with hood off of course. You could mount the hinge firmly in a vise and do the same action.

Wow, thanks for all the info guys. My hinges are off the car, so I will try one of the off the car methods and report back. The hood that came off is a NASA/NACA hood without the Ram Air plenum. I called it a Ram Air hood to avoid the NASA/NACA "discussion", but likely made things even more confusing in doing so:)

I hope that in removing the springs I can close them up to make them smaller when I do the phosphating so they fit in my current cooker. I do not want to use the wife's big soup pot...

Tanks!
I've got an old pistol that needs phosphating...mind chucking that in at the same time?

have done too many to count

On and or off the car with a pair of channel lock pliers.

There is a lot of tension but not much power there when the hinge is in the open position.

Even if you slip the spring doesn't go far / anywhere

Off the car, sit on the ground, hold the hinge with your feet, pull the spring off.

The flat sided spring came on all nasa hood with or without ram air.

Don

Success. Thanks for all the input guys!

I bolted the hinge to a shelf and went at it with a 1/2" diameter as a pry bar. Removal was easy. Installation (wanted to see how bad it would be to do later) was easier.

I took a couple pictures, basically you reverse the pry direction to reinstall it. Similar to sliding a spring on when installing drum brakes.

Removal, hook inside rear loop and pull up on pry bar (outside of frame on left)

Spring off, hinge collapsed. It will fit in a smaller heating pan now:)

Installation, push down on pry bar and the spring will slide along it and catch on the ear.

Sorry for the less than stellar images, but I just used my phone.

SM3570, check your PM's.

~Jim

spring_removal2.jpg

spring_off.jpg

spring_installation.jpg

I've always used a long screwdriver to pop the one end of the spring off with no serious issues. For those who do not have ready access to a welder, I made this years ago to open the springs to media blast and paint. Cost is minimal.

DSCN1693.JPG

The square spring was used on any hood withe NACA ducts with or without Ram Air. The correct coating is phosphate and oil. As far as I know they are not reproduced, or weren't a year ago. I got mine from Don at OMS.

Chuck
Yup. I use an old pants belt.

I built this tool to remove the springs from my hood hinges. It can be used while hinges remain in place. Just prop open the hood. I've used it many time.[attachment=20462]

Back