dynamat insulation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtassin

Reaction score
My Car
1972 ford mustang Mach 1
Hey guys:

I need info about Dynamat. Best place to buy; how much is required; did you do the trunk; did it infere with headliner; how did you take care of electrical wires; photosof installation; etc.

Appreciate any advice on subject.

Thanks,

Jimmy T.:idea:

I used a product from eastwood thats called thermo-coustic sound deadener. It is almost exactly the same as dynamat but much cheaper. I bought one kit and it was enough to do more whole floor pan front to back and the trans tunnel. Made a HUGE difference in road noise and now my feet dont get cooked from the headers. Super easy to install and very forgiving. It will conform very well to all the contours of the floor and it cuts easy. I wish i would have bought 2 kits and did my roof and doors and sides. I would definately reconmend!! Here is a link to their site with the product. http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-thermocoustic-material.html

If i can find the pics of the install i will post some up. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions about it let me know.

Kevin

I just did my floor only. Bought 36 square feet (9 sheets) which seems to be the standard pack size from most sellers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250902033351&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:1123

The dynamat wasn't delivered in the factory packaging - each piece was folded up to fit in a smaller box for freight. Also the roller that came with it was a cheap piece of crap that literally fell apart in the first two minutes (managed to fix it though with a bit of ingenuity). Still, the price was okay so not really complaining.

36 square feet is not enough to do the whole floor as well as under the rear seats. Through creative cutting I ended up with the equivalent of about 1/3 of a sheet left over and you can see in the pics where my 36 feet got me to. I'll buy another two sheets of dynamat or equivalent in the future to finish off the underseat area.

okHkQ.jpg

ZVMM8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it make that much of an impact on sound deadening? When I'm in someone else's car I forget we're moving sometimes because I can't hear the road. Taking up the carpet again for some new floor pans soon and it sounds like a good investment.

Does it make that much of an impact on sound deadening? When I'm in someone else's car I forget we're moving sometimes because I can't hear the road. Taking up the carpet again for some new floor pans soon and it sounds like a good investment.
Yes, the Dynamat did make a difference to the sound. When I went for my first drive in my car it was still pretty noisy, but it was obvious that most of the noise was now coming from the rear of the car rather than a general noise coming from everywhere. And the noise I could hear through the floor was definitely more muffled than it was before.

Putting Dynamat in my car to remove noise wasn't really my main objective; I had pulled up the carpets to take care of some minor rust issues and thought may as well Dynamat it while everything is out of the car.

Good news is I found my build sheet under the drivers side insulation :)

Bad news is that it was toast, and this is what was left of it :(

dlAvX.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news is I found my build sheet under the drivers side insullation :)

Bad news is that it was toast, and this is what was left of it :(

dlAvX.jpg
You´re lucky. That´s what most of my car used to look like! :p

Back