Interesting Forum Observation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicsguy

Reaction score
My Car
1968 GT/CS California Special
Reading all the posts that members of this site write about their cars and these 1971-73 Mustangs makes a person that does not have one; want to own one. Its a very enthusiastic and nice bunch that see these cars as a very special breed of the Classic Mustangs.

I recently posted an ad looking for someone that could take a look at a car for me in this forum and at another forum.One person in this forum is willing to go and check out the car.

The person that answered the post in "the other forum" told me that he was willing to check it out for me and then wrote me; "Are you aware that the 1971-73 Mach 1 is the least collectible of the early years.."

This just shows what some people think of these model year Mustang and everybody is entitled to their opinion and I respect that and just reading the posts and enthusiasm that all of you show in your posts makes these cars and the forum a very special site.

"Are you aware that the 1971-73 Mach 1 is the least collectible of the early years.."

Ha i say. He hasn't seen the market lately. I have a 71 mach 1 that i started on that needs alot of body work but my job has taken my time away from the car. I am currently looking for a good running project that needs little body work, interior could use some work and the prices people are asking for are getting up there. They may think they have a good body car but you ask for specific pictures and can tell there is rust or a bad job before. Don at OMS has been an instrumental help with me. I send him pictures and he can find 10 flaws the car has for their asking price. He has saved me a couple times now or i could possible have another BIG project car that i don't need.

Thanks 71 Badmach ...you are right this is a very passionate group and I know the right car will come along so I am not worried and not in a hurry either. I had the pleasure to have owned a 1972 Q -code Mach 1 factory paint,a/c auto tilt wheel about 8 or 9 years ago so I know what it feels to own one but did not know about this forum back then.

Hey, Classics. I certainly share your opinion about this site - those who post here are respectful and share the same love of those big bodied red-haired stepchildren Mustangs. Thanks for the post!

Doc

If I was interested in collectable values I would be investing in krugerands or something. By the time I'm done I'll have more in it than I can get out. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What's not to love about a car you can climb inside the hood to work on?

It's not about 'collectable'.

i started off with a 68 coupe and swapped it against a 72 vert that i still own. i have 4 mustangs and 2 of them are 71-73 models and i love them. i just finished my 71 boss and can't wait to get it out on the road.....we still have a lot of snow in austria :-(

thanks to this forum i was able to connect with a few people although i'm kinda far away.

thanks

abudi

Reading all the posts that members of this site write about their cars and these 1971-73 Mustangs makes a person that does not have one; want to own one. Its a very enthusiastic and nice bunch that see these cars as a very special breed of the Classic Mustangs.

I recently posted an ad looking for someone that could take a look at a car for me in this forum and at another forum.One person in this forum is willing to go and check out the car.

The person that answered the post in "the other forum" told me that he was willing to check it out for me and then wrote me; "Are you aware that the 1971-73 Mach 1 is the least collectible of the early years.."

This just shows what some people think of these model year Mustang and everybody is entitled to their opinion and I respect that and just reading the posts and enthusiasm that all of you show in your posts makes these cars and the forum a very special site.
{thumbs up} Took a long time to find a forum i could talk about 71-73 stangs....I got tired of defending are big body cars on other mustang forums from the haters..hehe..Why not just say..Hey not the kinda stang i like but whatever floats your boat...Not "they are the least collectible of the older stangs"...ha!! i would say that honor goes too the 64 and 65 mustangs.... just in 1965 alone they made more mustang than all are years 71-73's put together...think it was some 680,000 and more!!...64 just around the same...lol..And i wont slam on them cars either...Cause i like them too ;) hehe

Great post, Classic! Also typical of what I used to encounter at the other forums...that's what led me to start this forum! I just had a feeling that there were other 71-73 fans out there that are just as passionate as me!

:goodpost: Classicsguy!

I so agree, and i spend more time in here then i thought i would:)

I do post on other Mustang forums, but the welcome and enthusiasm

i experienced here is awsome, and everybody is nice and helpful.

I think a car is worth what the buyer will pay, in the end its all about enjoing your car and having fundancebanana

GREAT FORUM!:)

I like this site as well, and wish I had more time to spend here, welcome new members like I was, etc. Glad I could help you out Luis. Hope you find the car you're looking for.

Steve

By far the nicest bunch of people are here on 7173Mustangs. Believe me I know because I'm also on several other generic mustang forums.

Value is definitely in the eye of the beholder. I sold a lot of older ponies to get my 73 Mach 1 and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I like most of the older 1st gens but I honestly think they look a bit anorexic compared to the robust 71-73's. I like a little meat on my pony.

I Totally Agree....I don't care what I spend to build this car, or what someone else "Thinks" it's worth...I will be buried in it...I will never sell it because it is what I want to Drive.....:D

This is a great site full of friendly and helpful members. It would be great to have a massive get together sometime, but it would be impossible for all members to attend.

With me it was just the opposite:

Owning a 71-73 Mustang made me wanna have a site like this! :)

Thanks to Barry that has been taken care of.

I don't really care if the cars are collectible or not. I still think that no mass produced item should ever be really collectible. If you look at the prices for 67-68 Fastbacks and consider that there were over a hundred thousand made, there is something very wrong.

I don't wanna dis earlier years of Mustangs, but I love it when I go to a car show and I'm only one of 2 or 3 71-73 there.

And I get very positive reactions from people, just not from the early Mustang guys. Do I care? Nope!

There were only a little over 6000 72 convertibles made. (Back in the days even Shelby produced more Mustangs than that).

I read somewhere that with old cars it is safe to assume that 70% of the cars originally produced no longer exist.

Based on this, I suppose that there are only about 2000 of these convertibles still in existence.

That is in existence, not in running order! That includes the parts cars.

I know what I have here! Let the other guys swim with the crowd if they feel so inclined. If they dont' want it, that leaves more for the rest of us! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I stumbled onto the site and it has help reignite my love for my Mustang. I keep it parked off site so I don't get to admire it daily. Now I have plans for new carpet, seats, top and I am going to clean up the under side now that I don't drive it much. Thanks guys!

What amazes me is the variety of cars, options, colors, modifications, paint schemes, etc. I really like this site because the general consensus is 'It is your car, do what you want!'.

I think this post captures everything that's right with this site, and what seems to be lacking with some other Mustang forums.

At the other sites, you'll most likely run into the 'collector' attitude, which tends to place more value on (not necessarily in this order):

- OEM Correctness

- Perceived Value

- Collectability

- Popularity

I watched an episode of 'Chasing Classic Cars' last night and was appalled at the prices the three vehicles they spotlighted commanded. They were: 1969 CoPo ZL-1 Camaro, 1969 Yenko Camaro, 1970 Ram-Air GTO Convertible. The '69 CoPo was purchased for something like $385,000. The Yenko, $275,000. And the GTO, $175,000 (if I remember right).

Every one of those cars will wind up in a garage or on display somewhere and might rack up less than 10 miles per year (probably without even having the engine running while doing so). That's the 'collector' mindset.

My opinion is that we have vehicles here that are every bit as nice of quality as those cars, as well as some that are of even higher quality. We do not fall into the 'collector' mindset - we do our own thing with the cars, and encourage each other to do the same. Plus, we 'enjoy' our cars... not just purchase 'em for way too much money and stick 'em in a display case.

I think 'not' having the collector mindset is probably one of the biggest reasons we have one of the best (if not 'the best') classic Mustang sites ever.

Back