Seam sealer options?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 grande coupe 351c4v, c6 auto,ps.pb.
Hello all, guys what are you using for seam sealer, all the sealer in my car is brittle so im digging it all out and of course found some small holes along the way. any rec on what types of sealer your using would be very helpful, and do they offer it in different colors? thanks!

I just did my floors a couple of weeks ago and dug out all the factory seam sealer. I replaced it with Sikaflex 227 (black), no real reason for that choice except that it was the only seam sealer my auto shop had.

0227242.jpg

If you are doing the external parts then I'd use 3M heavy drip-chec sealer. It dries to a very dense consistently that won't crack or shrink.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend 3M. They have some nice single part products as well as several two part epoxy-type products which are far superior to the factory seam sealer. The two part ones are nice because they come in different consistencies, so you can get their heavy bodied one for the floors and they have a nice self leveling one that lays out nice and smooth while it cures for any areas you need to be neat with, it also oozes into thin crevices quite well.

Hope this helps!

+1 on 3M Fast n Firm. By far the best I've tried. You can duplicate even the heaviest factory application with no shrinking or cracking later. I's all I use now.

I like to put a thin bead down first, and force it in with my finger, then follow up right away with a nice bead for a factory look.

+1 on 3M Fast n Firm. By far the best I've tried. You can duplicate even the heaviest factory application with no shrinking or cracking later. I's all I use now.

I like to put a thin bead down first, and force it in with my finger, then follow up right away with a nice bead for a factory look.
I would not use fast firm on anything you want to stand the test of time..It's solvent based which means it's gonna crack sometime down the road. The only way to fly as Obsidian said is 2 part epoxy or urethane..Personally with the amount of sealing I have to do buying 3m stuff would cost a fortune..I use a product called flexo #12...http://www.fascoepoxies.com/products.html I have personally used this stuff since the early 80's..Never seen it crack or fail !!! I use a cake lettering bag with what ever size tip is required for the joint.

"

I know that this is an older thread. However, I just called Fasco to order Flexo #12 and they have discontinued this product. Figured I would pass on the information.

I know that this is an older thread. However, I just called Fasco to order Flexo #12 and they have discontinued this product. Figured I would pass on the information.
I got the same info from them a few months back, I've been using the 3m 2 part epoxy product and so far I am pleased... my 2 cents

Back