Wont turn over

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Sprint coupe
When I bought my car it had been sitting for a few years. It wont turn over when I hit the key. I replaced the starter and selonoid but still nothing. I figure its in the wiring. Any other ideas? Also when I turn the key its stiff. Not sure why.

Do the int lights go on when you turn the key?

Is the battery new and fully charged ?

Are the battery terminals good and clean and is the ground strap good?

AJ

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot more info is needed. Does the starter relay engage (do you hear a click)? Does the engine turn over by hand? As mentioned, do you have a good battery? The more info the better.

Steve

if no int lights go on when key is turned then check all battery connections and grounding strap, if all good confirm ignition switch for function.

AJ

My issue with this was my ground wire on my alternator harness. I had it grounded incorrectly. This resulted in some power to the car such as interior lighting and headlights but kinda dim. After i realized i grounded in a very bad spot (starter post on senenoid) DONT ASK, all of my power was restored correctly. Check the ground wire on the alternator harness.

jump it from the bat wire on the solenoid to the S terminal you can use a screwdriver

big post bat connects to and the closest small terminal on the starter solenoid. That will by pass the ignition system. It should turn over, but will not start unless you run a wire from bat + to coil (bat side) Don't leave that jumper on long, it will ruin the coil.

I hope you have a voltmeter, because that will make it possible to troubleshoot this. Do you have voltage at the fuse block? There are a couple of fusible links in the main harness wires from the solenoid. If one of those is open, you won't have any power. If the car is an automatic, the neutral safety switch could be bad, unplugged or not adjusted correctly. Try turning the key while moving the shifter around a little. Again, the more info you can share, the easier it is to track down. Don't be shy.

Steve

JB

jump it from the bat wire on the solenoid to the S terminal you can use a screwdriver

big post bat connects to and the closest small terminal on the starter solenoid. That will by pass the ignition system. It should turn over, but will not start unless you run a wire from bat + to coil (bat side) Don't leave that jumper on long, it will ruin the coil.
This is the fastest way to troubleshoot, just to see if the starter will engage, you don't even need to run the 12volt wire to the coil. If the starter engages, then the problem is in the ignition switch, or the wiring. If it doesn't, then its a battery voltage or ground issue.

I agree with pretty much everything others have said......just never underestimate the importance of a good ground. I have seen all kinds of weird things happen due to a bad ground. The current will find a path.

The good thing is, the wiring in these years was pretty simple. Use a volt meter to check everything between the switch and the starter, etc, and you're bound to figure out where the problem is.

ok...here is the update. I fully charged battery then hooked everything up. I swapped back to orig selonoid that was on the car when I got it. The car has power and selonoid clicks when ingition is in start position. I kept cycling the key from off to start. I did get the starter to engage and turn over a couple of times. The car almost started once. But most of the time when its in the start position it clicks. Any other ideas? I'm almost to the point to gut the car and worry about it running later.

Hey...I have a good idea what it mite be....Its mite be a neutral safety switch...If it wears out the car wont let you turn it over..Cause it thinks its not in neutral anymore....I seen quite a few rigs do this...And after you check everything..It wouldnt hurt to check it too..Not many remmeber the old switch...But they do wear out...I seen it alot...and all years of stangs from 64 up too now have one if there a automatic...And sence there never replaced much and the age of are stangs...It could be time to check it out.

Vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions require the use of a neutral safety switch. The neutral safety switch prevents the engine from being started unless the shift selector of the transmission is in NEUTRAL or PARK. It disables the starting circuit when the transmission is in gear. This safety feature prevents the accidental starting of a vehicle in gear, which can result in personal injury and vehicle damage. The neutral safety switch is wired into the circuit going to the starter solenoid. When the transmission is in forward or reverse gear, the switch is in the OPEN position (disconnected). This action prevents current from activating the solenoid and starter when the ignition switch is turned to the START position. A misadjusted or bad neutral safety switch can keep the engine from cranking.

I hope its it...Just firing darts and hope one is a bullseye!! But neutral switch is the last thing i ever check...Last i usualy think about too when it wont start..lol

IMHO the easiest way to find out is:

1. remove starter and have it tested at a reputable test station (sort of sounds like your windings may be going bad to me)

2. if starter checks out OK replace the solenoid. (they're cheap and if problem is still there you have a spare)

3. typically you won't get the click if the neutral switch is bad but try it in neutral also and if all else fails the wiring diagram shows where you can jump it out with a piece of wire to eliminate it as a problem for test purposes.

4. You may have to drop the oil pan and check your main bearings. a bad bearing will make the motor turn hard. First put a tourque wrench on your center harmonic balancer bolt and determine what the force is needed to turn the engine. Anything above 70 ft/lbs is a bearing indication.

Back