New user in need of bumper

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveK

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Mustang with a 351C engine, FMX automatic transmission, ram air, blue exterior with argent stripes, black interior. Restoration project with my son.
Just joined last week. My son and I have been working on a ground up restoration for the last two years on a 1972 Mach 1. I am glad to say we are almost complete except for a very difficult to find front urethane bumper. If anyone has any leads on one in good shape it would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

[attachment=6615]

Great looking car, love the colors. Finding one in "good shape", near ready to paint, is very difficult, as you already know. When you find one in good shape it will be very expensive, $300-$500. Best bet is finding one that needs work but is repairable. I think one was offered here a few days ago for $50, but it needed to have the metal frame straightened. There are several threads on urethane bumper repair here over the last year or so. With the flexible repair materials available today cosmetic repair is much easier than it used to be. This shop may be able to help you find one. http://www.perkinsrestoration.com/ContactUs.aspx Chuck

Welcome to the site! Nice Mustang! Good luck on the bumper search...you definitely came to the right place! Keep us posted!

::welcome::

Just joined last week. My son and I have been working on a ground up restoration for the last two years on a 1972 Mach 1. I am glad to say we are almost complete except for a very difficult to find front urethane bumper. If anyone has any leads on one in good shape it would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Awsome looking Mach, love the colors, good luck on finding a urethane bumper ready to paint. Just a caution, the problem you'll run into trying to find a "perfect" one, is even if they've been "repaired" it's still 40 year old brittle urethane under the repairs and if not done correctly it'll show within months of being painted. I found out the hard way.

Jim

It's about time a manufacturer takes a heart and makes a reproduction. This is one of the most critical parts of a 71-73!

Great looking car!

Check with Don at OMS, a site vendor.

If Don says he has something you can use, Take It.

mike

I purchased a lot of my parts from Don. I did send him another e-mail to see if he received anything in recently. Thanks for the compliment!

Great looking car, love the colors. Finding one in "good shape", near ready to paint, is very difficult, as you already know. When you find one in good shape it will be very expensive, $300-$500. Best bet is finding one that needs work but is repairable. I think one was offered here a few days ago for $50, but it needed to have the metal frame straightened. There are several threads on urethane bumper repair here over the last year or so. With the flexible repair materials available today cosmetic repair is much easier than it used to be. This shop may be able to help you find one. http://www.perkinsrestoration.com/ContactUs.aspx Chuck
Thanks for the info. Bob Perkins Restorations are only a few miles from my house. I will give him a call and see what he can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to mention ::welcome:: to the site in my last post

Your car is a beauty, I hope your search comes up with a bumper soon.

Welcome to the site. Nice car & color combo. Post some more pics of it. Also post your area of the world on our member map under the fun stuff link above.

funny you should ask, this is my first time logged on this site.I've had a front Urathane bumper, off a coded Mach one, well hasn't yet been re-installed, kept out of the sun for 10+ yers.

I'd say 80% there with some blending and repair allready done with good DuPont material,

there is slight "twisting" (one or two millimeters difference)the corners do not match up perfectly, (unsure how to correct this-heat gun possibly) without any gouges and NEVER BUMPED.

I could go for some trades, trying to finish my own 72M1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back