1973 Q-Code Mach 1 Restoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkelley

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1

• 351C-4V "Q-Code"
• Cammed, Hooker Longtubes, Edelbrock Manifold, Holley 600CFM, Glasspacks, Unknown Gears
• C4 Auto
Hey, guys. Found the site through RocketFoot's signature over at VMF. Pretty sweet to have a board dedicated to just 71-73 Mustangs. I just started a restoration project with my dad's old Mach. Just gonna copy the thread I made over at VMF.

My dad and I have a '73 Mach 1 that has been sitting for some years now. He bought it back in the late 70s and drove it up until the mid 90s when he had to park it. It's been sitting under a cover in the back yard for some time now. Tried to keep it running but time eventually took over and it just sat. A few years back we pulled it out and got it running again but we didn't have the time or money to do the full override. Now that I'm able to put money into it myself, and can actually drive it, we are gonna pull it out again and hopefully return it to it's former glory. I've been looking for a fun car to drive for a while now but made the decision to focus my time and money on the Mach 1. It going to take some time to get it finished, but it'll definitely be worth it.

To find out the original specs, I ran the vin number and data codes through mustangdecoder.com and got these results.

nyGu9.png

Picture of the door tag.

WU4O6.jpg

I know this is a pretty rare option car. I've been told that only 1% of the '71 Machs came with manual transmissions and it's expected a manual '73 is just as rare, if not more so. My dad built the motor up by camming it, adding 10:1 pistons, Edelbrock manifold, Holley 750 double pumper carb, Hooker longtube headers, dual glass packs. I guess back when he was driving it the throw out bearings went bad and ate up the clutch. At the time he didn't have the money to fix it, so he swapped out the 4 speed for a C4 he got from a friend (he regrets it to this day). The clutch is still there, so going back to a manual will be easy enough. He also replaced the 750 double pumper with a 650 single since something happened with the 750. Once we get it going, I plan on putting both a T-5 and a 750 in it.

The car has been sitting for a while, so it does need some work to just get it running again. Luckily I live in the desert so there isn't much rust on the car. Undercarriage does have some, but I'm hoping most of it will come off with the power washer. Here are a couple pictures of how it sits right now.

pTbhW.jpg

htnRs.jpg

It's a complete engine compartment so there isn't much to do to get it running. I just put fresh oil in and after I clean out the gas tank it should be ready to go. Once I know it'll start up, I'm gonna pull the engine out and doa complete overhaul on it. Replace all the seals, gaskets, lines, et cetera. Also going to paint the block and clean/polish the manifold and other parts.

Here is my project list so far, not necessarily in any order.

• Clean motor, replace dry-rotted lines, gaskets, et cetera, tune-up

• Clean entire underside and replace bushings

• Gut inside for cleaning

• New door hinges and mechanics

• Roof is sunk in on one side, need to see what has to be done

• Replace exhaust with new Hooker longtubes and Flowmaster super 40s

• Clean and polish wheels

• 245/60R14 BFG Radial T/As all around

• Minor body work/sand down entire body/prep for paint

• Paint job

• ProMotion T5 tranny

• New carb

I am going to go with the stock paint scheme, gold glow metallic with black decals and hood stripes. I'm also going to paint the engine block Ford blue and get black engine accents and also paint the engine compartment black.

So, yeah, there you have it. This isn't something that is going to happen overnight, so don't expect results in a month. I will update when necessary. Thanks for reading.

welcome saw your post on vmf :)

i think we can help if needed.

WELCOME aboard!!

As another '73 Q Code owner, it is nice to see one that has the original aluminum wheels. I took mine off 35 years ago and gave them to a guy who put them on his Jeepney (a commercial passenger vehicle in the Philippines) - - wish I had kept them!

As 72HCODE inferred, I think you will like it here and I look forward to interacting with you on the forums.

Again, Welcome.

BT

Yeah, we've got 5 of the original wheels. Missing two of the center caps but I saw that Ohio Mustang Supply sold them. After polshing them up, getting some new caps and wrapping them in BFG Radials, they should be looking pretty good. I love the Mag 500s, but it seems like everyone has them. I think keeping the stock wheels will be a nice touch.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I can remember there was a couple of styles of hub caps ( sport wheel cover and the dog dish style) and the optional wheels where the aluminum slots. NO MAGNUMS for 73. I believe American Racing makes an almost exact copy of the slots with sizes up to a 17".

nice project can't wait to see the progress.I also agree with you about the mag 500's.when I bought my car it didn't even have original ford wheels on it.It had Turbo cast II turbine wheels from an AMX but those wheels looked great on the car and it's something different so I decided to keep them.Only draw back is they are 14" wheels but when I change the rubber on them I will get the biggest I can put on to fill up the wheel wells as much as I can.

I have the new center caps

Also have 2 - 3 sets of the original 73 alum wheels

Don

Welcome to the site. Very helpful people here. It looks like you have a great starting point.

I have the new center caps

Also have 2 - 3 sets of the original 73 alum wheels

Don
How much for the center caps?

Got it to start today, here is a quick video. Didn't have much time to mess with it since I had to go to work. Took a while for it to get going since there was no fuel in the line. Should have a better video tomorrow of it idling and stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOnNbX8TOn4

The video doesn't really do it justice. It sounds really smooth in person. Gonna see if I can't borrow my friends video camera to shoot some real vids.

Sounded like it was taking an aweful fon time to prime from that vid. Even with my rear suspension sagging like it is the line from the tank to the pump will prime itself from the weight of the gas alone. Once the engine fires it doesn't take longer than a few seconds for the pump to prime the carb and it to run on its own.

Someday it will look like this Pewter one. Keep the faith.

nice project can't wait to see the progress.I also agree with you about the mag 500's.when I bought my car it didn't even have original ford wheels on it.It had Turbo cast II turbine wheels from an AMX but those wheels looked great on the car and it's something different so I decided to keep them.Only draw back is they are 14" wheels but when I change the rubber on them I will get the biggest I can put on to fill up the wheel wells as much as I can.
paluhmach1.JPG

Someday it will look like this. Keep the faith.

What color id this it looks almost the same as mine. mine is in the 71 gallery

Had it idling today. The choke cable is all screwed up so it's hard to get it to idle normal. Got a cable off Jegs for $7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k7xE8V6dZw

Also, does anyone have a picture of their 351C with the power steering cooler thing on? I'm trying to figure out how the lines need to be ran to it.

Found this in the trunk. Don't have a picture of it before I took some CLR and Mother's to it, but you can imagine what it looked like after sitting in there for 15+ years.

149602_453719503030_582683030_5533922_1994886_n.jpg

Robin is my dad, if you didn't realize. He wants me to get another one that says "Bryce's 73 Mach 1" but I think putting this one on it will be a nice touch and he would really enjoy it. Gonna take it and get it professionally buffed and polished and get the letters/ponies repainted.

Back