'71 trunk emblem or not?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Conv; 1 of 17; 351C, 2V, Auto
1971ConvertibleRear.jpgAnyone know why some '71s have the "M U S T A N G" letters on the trunk lid and some do not?

Was it a mid year change?

After stripping the paint from my trunk lid, I didn't find any holes for the letters and now I am wondering if the lid is from a '72 or '73.

Any help would be appreciated!

According to my references, the 1971 Hardtops and Convertibles had the word "MUSTANG" stretched evenly across the deck lid in block letters. For the Fastbacks, they have a tape stripe across the lid and rear quarter panels, including the work "MUSTANG" in the center.

All '72 and '73 Mustangs except the Mach 1 has the word "MUSTANG" in script lettering above the right tailpipe.

BT

Anyone know why some '71s have the "M U S T A N G" letters on the trunk lid and some do not?

After stripping the paint from my trunk lid, I didn't find any holes for the letters and now I am wondering if the lid is from a '72 or '73.

If it is a 72/73 lid look for three holes to the right edge of the trunk lid for the script Mustang emblem.

DSCF6064.jpg

Early 72s have the 71 style trunk lids early 72s have a lot of weird things they are pretty much 71.5 cars.

Checkout what has been done by the PO (or his paint shop) on our 71:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/ezgallery.php?action=view&id=1098

First time I looked at it -I knew it wasn't right. The letters are too far spread out I'm sure.

BUT- there are no holes in the trunk lid - they are GLUED on - reason I know it that one of them has come off since we got the car. I can't say that definitively - I haven't gone down to metal - but I'd like to know what is the right thing for this cars stock configuration.

I have a hard time believing Ford just glued em on - but maybe. I don't know. I'd like to hear more thoughts on this issue - sounds like Ford was doing maybe several different things in this area.

Jay

The 71 has the lock retained by a metal clip. Most 72s the lock is retained by a small plate and 2 rivets. Chuck

Anyone know why some '71s have the "M U S T A N G" letters on the trunk lid and some do not?

Could be a repop(aftermarket) deck lid, that would explain no holes. Here is my 71 Mach1 deck lid

Roy\'s car_sm_01.jpg

Does anyone have a good example of the stock layout for the letters for the trunk lid on a '71 convertible? Mine doesn't have them at all and I'm inclined to get the Scott Drake stick-on ones rather than drilling (or would it be redrilling) the trunk lid as I like my paint (a lot), but I want to get the spacing right.

The letters were standard on all base coupes, sportsroofs and convertiblrs in 71. There was a stripe option for the sportsroof that deleted the letters, and I think a decor option for all base models ( tail panel applique) that also deleted the letters.

The letters were pins and holes, never taped or glued on.

It all dissapeared in 72

The 71s had stick on letters. Sportsroof; coupes and convertibles all. 72-73s had the script Mustang on the lid just like the one on the front fenders. The Mach 1s and Boss 351 were the exception. By the way, the letters are the same as the 65-66 GT Mustangs except that the early cars had pins and retaining clips instead of the double stick tape. No 71s had holes.

Well, you sound like you are sure of yourself so I defer to your knowkedge. I did not realize Ford was using any stick-on emblems that early on.

Never saw holes in a 71 trunklid - also got a jar full of letters from many 71 parts cars and none have pins.

- Paul

My early 72 (built December 7th, 1971) had the small script logo at the right hand edge of the lid and it had pins. The trunk lid had three holes accordingly.

My early '72 built October 26, 1971 also had the small script logo...although I don't know the history of the car so it is possible a new trunk lie was put on it prior to me acquiring it in 1999.

John

The PO changed the trunk lid on my 71 so it has the script letters (for now). I already bought the block letters to put back when I restore it just because I like the way they look. Not thrilled about cleaning around them all the time though.

Not thrilled about cleaning around them all the time though.
That´s one of the reasons my car has no badges at all (except the running horse in the grille) and all the holes filled. :)

The other one was I wanted clean looks. No badges, no moldings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my trunklid with script built on July 10 1972. I too like the "clean" look of no scripts on my vehicles.

100_1636.JPG

DSCI0104.JPG

DSCI0099.JPG

Back