Rear Diff Code Tag

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1 - Q-code auto - Medium Bright Yellow
I'm in the process of de-rusting the undercarrage of my ol' Mach. In the process I decided to take down the rear end. Scraping away the junk and debris, I actually found the original rear differential tag. Does anyone have any idea what the codes mean? Should I take it off and keep it in a safe place or just leave it be? Also, in the repainting stage, what are the correct colors for the diff?042.JPG

well if the gears were never changed you have a 3.25 ratio with a open gear differential(4 gear) with 28 spline axles and most likely 28 spline yoke also.

this will help you order the correct pinion and axle seals if your rebuilding the the chunk. also if you need to order rebuild parts for the diff itself. otherwise you need to do a complete inspection before you order parts.

if you plan on keeping the gear set and just servicing the rear keep the tag it will help a person in the future if you ever sell the car or if you decide to make it a concourse restoration

Great resource. I love this site.

I pulled the axle shafts and counted the splines. Yep they're 28.

However, the Mustangtek.com site doesn't identify any 73's.

Okay, now, does anyone know what color I'm supposed to paint this part now that I'm done scraping the rust off of it..?

First off MAIDEN DEARBORN, Welcome aboard!

As to the identifications on the Mustangtex.com site, please note that per my reference materials, the codes on the site for the '71 mustangs also apply for the '73s.

SOURCE: Hollander 52nd Auto-Truck Interchange Manual

Again, WELCOME aboard and I look forward to interacting with you on the forums.

BT

DSC04310.JPGThanks for the welcome. I was raised in Dearborn and so I just had to get a car that came from there also. So in 1978 with $2k in my pocket, I bought this 73 Mach 1 (aka the money pit). For the first year, the local boys in blue tried to remove the lead in my right foot through my wallet. It then went in storage for three years. After that, I drove it sporatically and when I got married in '95 it went into the garage for 15 years. I now have the time, but not much money, to bring it back.

Great forum guys...

Other than the vinyl roof and the "open" rear end, you have the twin sister of my '73 Mach I (as it came from the factory).

GREAT looking car!!

BT

First off MAIDEN DEARBORN, Welcome aboard!

As to the identifications on the Mustangtex.com site, please note that per my reference materials, the codes on the site for the '71 mustangs also apply for the '73s.

SOURCE: Hollander 52nd Auto-Truck Interchange Manual

Again, WELCOME aboard and I look forward to interacting with you on the forums.

BT
Cobra, where would I get a copy of this allusive "Hollander" ??????????????????

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, they are published every year and they cover approximately 10 years of vehicles with every iteration. Current price for each "manual" seems to be approximately 100$. You may also be able to view them at your local library although the earlier ones may not be available - - hence the premium price.

I currently have approximately 30 years of information - - the 34th Edition (covers 1956 - 1958), the 44th Edition (covers 1968 - 1978), the 52nd Edition (covers 1975 - 1986). As a "Junkyard Warrior", I have utilized these books at great length over the years as I have swapped out rear ends, motors, transmission and other parts in my pursuit of the hobby.

Most Salvage Yards have several on hand as they are in the business of selling parts that are often interchangeable.

To respond to your question, if you goggle Hollander Interchange Manual, it w ill take you to the appropriate sites. Keep in mind, that if you order an "old" one, it will more than likely be for a book that was previously used - - it will NOT be new.

BT

Back