Weekly Fun Question - Test Your 71-73 Mustang Knowledge

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Mach 1
1973 Mach 1
1973 Grande
1989 LX 5.0L
2003 Mercury Marauder
2015 Lincoln MKT
Hi All!

It is that time again where you will have the opportunity to have a nice Icon assigned to your signature. The first person to correctly respond to this week's "Fun Question" by sending a PM to ROCKETFOOT and me will receive this honor and "bragging rights" for the week.

The question this week is related to the audio system. Specifically:

How did the radio antenna on the 1971 and 1972 Mustangs differ from those on the 1973 Mustang?

Good Luck!

BT

Good Evening All:

The results are in and we had three (3) members who responded with an acceptable correct answer to the "Weekly Fun Question." To recap, the question was:

How did the radio antenna on the 1971 and 1972 Mustangs differ from those on the 1973 Mustang?

The members with the correct response are TNFASTBK, NANCE and WIDOWMAKER00. As the first member to respond correctly, TNFASTBK is once again "on the board" and will receive yet ANOTHER Icon for his efforts.

BTW, the correct answer has to do with the 71 & 72 Mustangs having a telescoping (could raise up or down) antenna while the '73 Mustang had a non-telescoping (fixed or whip) antenna.

Congratulation TNFASTBK!!!

BT

Holy cow I just log in and see this and its already answered lol

Actually it's slighty more then the antenna being retractable in 71 72' and not in 73

The 71-72 fully extended is like 5 feet tall compared to the 73.

I have both antennas in a box, originally I could only find a nos 73 ant, last year I got 2 71 retractable antennas at a swap meet, so I installed the correct one on my car

Here's another reason why everything on my 73 Mach is just a little more expensive than the others. How many times have I gone to a mustang store and asked if they have something for my car. Sure they say its only this much...that is unless you have a 73 and it's a Mach then there's an extra charge. From the unique fenders for this year to the antenna, this is one tough car to rebuild...

My dream result...

VIN-3F05Q2494-03.jpg

However, my reality is just a little short of that...

DSC04387.JPG

well it's not like I listen to the radio anyway hahaha either listen to the car or the mp3 player is blasting some metal almost loud enough to drown out those series 40 flowmasters:cool:

My antenna is mounted on the left rear fender! :cool:

remember the 71-73 antenna was not mounted at the factory it was done by the dealers so they could of been mounted anywhere you wanted on the car :D

In the case of my '73 Mach I, I did not go through a dealer as I ordered the car from the Philippines, so it was shipped to me there with the antenna in the trunk.

I had to install it myself. I thought seriously about installing it on the back but decided to put it in the traditional location.

BT

i think if you didn't have a rear spoiler then the ant looked good on the back end.

This is a very old yet continuing debate. Within the last two years I have personally seen 3 unrestored 1972 Mustang with a fixed mast antenna. This became an issue for me as the restoration progressed. I ended up removing the fixed mast antenna and putting on a collapsible antenna because that was the consensus of opinions available to me at the time. Since then I obtained a copy of the MCA judging criteria for 1971-1973 concours trailered/driven. It reads as follows: Section 2, Exterior, item K. "Antenna: Rectangular base 71 - collapsible round mast. 72 - collapsible or fixed round mast. 73 - fixed round mast. Documentation required for rear-mounted or other antennas......... 2"

I'm not saying the MCA can not be wrong but, they do put a lot of effort into getting things right.

Chuck

Back