Any of you guys own a Special order paint 1971-73 Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicsguy

Reaction score
My Car
1968 GT/CS California Special
I am not sure if the special paint option was available during these years but curious to know if anyone owns a special order paint car and what color is it?

I would say a rare special paint option would be a olyimpic sprint mustang 1972...Canadian version had a maple leaf...American got a flag on the back....My dad owned one when i was a kid..And first car i remmeber a cop pulling us over in...Lmao...Gave my dad a big speeding ticket!!...But they are so rare now i never seen one sence i was 6 years old in person...Growing up i was thinking maybe it was just custom paint job...found out diffrent in my 30's....I only see them in pictures now...And hard to find any with the flag still on them.

I am not sure if the special paint option was available during these years but curious to know if anyone owns a special order paint car and what color is it?
There were extra cost color options like any of the "Glow" colors. If you are talking about cars painted a non- Mustang color at the factory, I've heard stories about exec cars having special paint but, I've never seen one. Chuck

I once owned a 1965 GT coupe with Special order paint,the color code in door data plate was blank and also had build sheet which specified car as Special order paint. The DSO was a 6 digit number if I recall correctly. The color was Diamond Blue which was a 1964 T-bird color and owner had a 1964 T-bird in that color and when he ordered the Mustang he wanted it to match the T-bird.

I recently sold my 73 convertible. Special order paint - Candy Red. Door data sticker has a blank paint code. Six digit DSO = 3 digit DSO+ consecutive special ordered vehichles so far that year, from that particular DSO (trucks, cars, vans,etc). Ford didn't specify, on the window sticker, what particular color is ordered.

special paint.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a nice car 351Venom,love that special paint color!
Thank you. The old Cardinals' player that ordered it told me he didn't care too much for the available 73 red/orange color. He also had a 66 candy red conv. I just joined this great forum. In the introduction section I posted pics of some of our familys' cars. We been restoring since early '80s.

Again great forum,

Eric

Here's my 73 sportsroof. It says special paint. Doesn't say the color on the marti report but it is black. I like it with the chrome trim. It needs redone.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/xthreads_attach.php/550_1301446322_29f62f0b/14d7942cc37e52ff43b95855f344ad77/rptMain_216.pdf
So your Marti report in the link says "Special Paint, Ford # Unknown, then states 102 with this paint code for the 73 Mustang Sportsroof; I wonder if this means that there were only 102 73 Mustang Sportsroof's with special paint codes!

Mike, there were... special paint cars

698 in 73

382 in 72

474 in 71

Some of it is odd colors, I think most was like

in 71 black was available

in 72 & 73 black wasn't listed, it was special order

Mine has (special paint) ;)

Sorry couldnt resist:D

The sprints are not rare actually except for the convertible (50 made).

There were 6247 coupes and 3086 sportsroofs made. I'd bet that a lot of them were repainted or ended up in junk yards. I've seen very few although the registry lists a fair amount of coupes including two Q's.

http://www.1972mustangsprint.com/

My 72 is/was a special order color called gold glow metallic

from my understanding only 2k out of the 27k mach 1/sportroofs they built in 72 had that color.

So I think that's pretty special and I know for a fact I have not seen another gold 71-73 in person yet

(nevermind it being this exact color or year)

*numbers taken from my marti report and mustangspecs.com*

Back