If you could only choose 1 body-style?

classicsguy

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go with the coupe - it looks original and different. I love the fins coming down around the rear window.

Tough choice since I own both. My two cars which share basically the same suspension (well used to before I upgraded the Mach's shocks and springs and sway bars etc.) but one is the top down nice weather parade and cruising car while the mach1 is the loud racer and occasional cruiser. I'm lucky to have one of each and a nice Grande coupe would be nice to round out the set. Either car I can fire up anytime to go for a cruise which is great and I even drove the conv today and and Mach1 last night. Life is good.

Vamach1 - 72 Sprint conv & 72 Mach1

As the owner of a Mach 1 and a Grande (both 1973s), I will say that if I HAD to chose between those two, I would go with the Grande for its cruising attributes. I see this as being primarily due to the fact that the Coupes back window is more friendly for us "older" folks.

ALL of the Mach 1s options can be had or added to the Coupe with the added advantage (as stated) of being able to see out of that back window :).

I have never owned a Convertible, so I cannot speak to that option.

BT

Do the RIGHT thing.

I'm gonna have to say the sportsroof because I'm biased and there is just something about that awesome fastback look.

Jayson

504x177https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4398/36319488731_8f2a376549_z.jpg[/img]

73 Mach 1 Mustang

89 Dodge Shadow ES

94 Jeep Wrangler

I'm mostly into cruising and not a drag strip guy and since I've owned by 73 Convertible since 1974 I'm going to go with convertible with my first choice. They are also the least common in regards to production numbers. It's great to go out cruising around with the top down.

I love the looks of the 71/73 Mach 1 sportsroof and wouldn't mind having one in the garage either. I haven't driven a sportsroof since the 70's so can't comment on the cruising attributes.

The coupes/Grande's are sweet looking too. I also like the styling of the "fins" by the back window.

In a nutshell, I like them all and each style has it's own attributes.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

Fastback:)

3483lp4.png

sportroof aka fastback for me

you could of used the poll on this thread also.

Eric

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=45]Visit My Garage[/button]

a58hgh.jpg

DRIVE IT DON'T STORE IT!

That could be a toss up. Never owned a convertible and that would work here in California.

Like the look of the Fastback. But, alas, I am stuck with a Grande.

mike

Sportsroof for my first choice.Lookin out the rear window is overrated.

Driving my Grande is like driving a pillbox. I think the side view mirrors were government mandated for that reason and not just for looks. As you said, when driving a Mustang what is behind you is not important.

mike

spacer.png

I hafta go with the Sportsroof (in Mach 1 trim) as well. I've fast become a 'vert fan since I started coming here, and if I'm ever in the market for another '71-'73, it'll definitely be a drop-top.

But for now, I have my Jeep CJ-7 for open-air cruising. :D

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Fastback. Personally, I think it's the best looking; and James Bond drove one in Diamonds Are Forever.

Convertible... NOTHING better than cruising with the top down on a nice summer day / evening. and Danica Patrick drove one in a Super Bowl commercial! :D

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

I think I would ultimately have to go with the convertible! I'm sure it has a lot to do with the fact that I've owned both the coupe and sports roof cars and no drop-tops yet!

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17 (KJV)

2member12162.png

• 4 years later...

While not part of the 71-73 family, I've had coupes and a convertible of the "other" year Mustang group. I really like the muscular look of the Mach1 Sportsroof! I also enjoyed the top down crusin' in the convertible. So....It sounds like what I need is one of those rare Mach1 convertibles with the ultra-rare Boss 302. And we know they exist cause we've seen 'em on the internet! Let me see if I can find my order guide, I need to start picking out some colors and options! :whistling:

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!