If you could only choose 1 body-style?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicsguy

Reaction score
My Car
1968 GT/CS California Special
If you could only choose 1 body style to own on a 1971-73 Mustang;

Coupe

Sportsroof

Convertible

Which one would you choose and why would it be your choice?

I'd go with the coupe - it looks original and different. I love the fins coming down around the rear window.

I'd go with the coupe - it looks original and different. I love the fins coming down around the rear window.
Tough choice since I own both. My two cars which share basically the same suspension (well used to before I upgraded the Mach's shocks and springs and sway bars etc.) but one is the top down nice weather parade and cruising car while the mach1 is the loud racer and occasional cruiser. I'm lucky to have one of each and a nice Grande coupe would be nice to round out the set. Either car I can fire up anytime to go for a cruise which is great and I even drove the conv today and and Mach1 last night. Life is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
As the owner of a Mach 1 and a Grande (both 1973s), I will say that if I HAD to chose between those two, I would go with the Grande for its cruising attributes. I see this as being primarily due to the fact that the Coupes back window is more friendly for us "older" folks.

ALL of the Mach 1s options can be had or added to the Coupe with the added advantage (as stated) of being able to see out of that back window :).

I have never owned a Convertible, so I cannot speak to that option.

BT

I'm gonna have to say the sportsroof because I'm biased and there is just something about that awesome fastback look.

I really like all 3 but it seems like I always buy the sportsroof Mach 1 editions so I guess that's the one for me.

I'm mostly into cruising and not a drag strip guy and since I've owned by 73 Convertible since 1974 I'm going to go with convertible with my first choice. They are also the least common in regards to production numbers. It's great to go out cruising around with the top down.

I love the looks of the 71/73 Mach 1 sportsroof and wouldn't mind having one in the garage either. I haven't driven a sportsroof since the 70's so can't comment on the cruising attributes.

The coupes/Grande's are sweet looking too. I also like the styling of the "fins" by the back window.

In a nutshell, I like them all and each style has it's own attributes.

That could be a toss up. Never owned a convertible and that would work here in California.

Like the look of the Fastback. But, alas, I am stuck with a Grande.

mike

Sportsroof for my first choice.Lookin out the rear window is overrated.
Driving my Grande is like driving a pillbox. I think the side view mirrors were government mandated for that reason and not just for looks. As you said, when driving a Mustang what is behind you is not important.

mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I hafta go with the Sportsroof (in Mach 1 trim) as well. I've fast become a 'vert fan since I started coming here, and if I'm ever in the market for another '71-'73, it'll definitely be a drop-top.

But for now, I have my Jeep CJ-7 for open-air cruising. :D

Back