Help Rear Bumper Removal For A 1971 Fastback???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machman

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Guys can anyone help? How Do I Remove The Rear Bumper From a 1971 Fastback???

Everything is pretty tight in there and I've never done one before and I'm not sure if i need to remove something first

Can someone post a step by step removal proceedure?

AJ

Guys can anyone help? How Do I Remove The Rear Bumper From a 1971 Fastback???

Everything is pretty tight in there and I've never done one before and I'm not sure if i need to remove something first

AJ
There are only four bolts that hold it on. 9/16 I think. The nuts are on the inside of the trunk. But first remove the license plate light bracket (two phillips screws). Just hold the bumper while you are loosening the nuts so the bumper does not drop on your feet. That's about it - really simple. I put on a new one on the Mach1 a few months ago - piece of cake. Oh - you also have to reuse the old brackets so you need to remove them from the old bumper and bolt them on the new one with those funny looking washers.

::goodjob:: Thank you VERY much for your reply vamach1, it came at the perfect time and I changed the bumper in a flash

The guy gave me a like new set of brackets and bolts along w/ the bumper so I only needed to use my orig chrome bolts and "funny washers" that were in good shape.

AJ

::goodjob:: Thank you VERY much for your reply vamach1, it came at the perfect time and I changed the bumper in a flash

The guy gave me a like new set of brackets and bolts along w/ the bumper so I only needed to use my orig chrome bolts and "funny washers" that were in good shape.

AJ
Glad I could help from afar.

Rex

Guys can anyone help?  How Do I Remove The Rear Bumper From a 1971 Fastback???

AJ
There are only four bolts that hold it on.  9/16 I think.  The nuts are on the inside of the trunk.  But first remove the license plate light bracket (two phillips screws).  Just hold the bumper while you are loosening the nuts so the bumper does not drop on your feet.  That's about it - really simple.  I put on a new one on the Mach1 a few months ago - piece of cake.  Oh - you also have to reuse the old brackets so you need to remove them from the old bumper and bolt them on the new one with those funny looking washers.
Thanks, I.m removing trim from my car in preparation for the paint shop.

Back