Spring Compression Tool Recommendation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoLimitssjca

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe
1972 Mustang Mach 1
Can anyone recommend a good spring compressor they have used? I see several types available but want to make sure I don't get this one wrong.

I have had mine for probably 30 yrs and used it many times with great results. bought it from snap on but I found this which is the exact same tool.

http://www.eastwood.com/coilspring-compressor-internal.html
I agree with Pappy. I got one at NAPA that looks exactly like that as well. Price was around the same. I always felt safe using it. Avoid the 'external' ones, I have seen a spring launch with one of those, not pretty.

Jim

Thanks for the replies. I prefer to leave launching to NASA. After all, it does require rocket science. :)

Once I get it, how do I get it inserted? Is it safe to unbolt the shock tower or is there pressure there?

threaded rod down threw shock hole ,steel plate on top and bottom. crank nut down . i work at ford dealer and factory tool goes down middle of spring ...

The one on the eastwood page is the one I use.

You can usually rent one at OReilly or Autozone. Then if you like it, you can buy it.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND use of an AIR IMPACT WRENCH with one of these. I don't remember why, but I remember using about 2" worth of washers to help squeeze the springs.

Once you get the hang of it, it takes longer to get the shocks in and out then to get the springs out.

Back