Why do we bother with 40 year old outdated cars?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1, 351 Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Automatic, AM/8 Track, Bright Red.
My 21 year old son has always questioned why I spend so much time and money on a 40 year old car with outdated, undependable technology and so prone to rust. I agree with him, from a “purely practicable” point of view it makes absolutely no sense to try and keep these things running. Compared to modern cars, they’re unreliable gas hogs, emergency braking or crash avoidance maneuvers takes 2 years off of your life, a long road trip can turn into a costly adventure and 90% of us will never get the money and time we’ve put into them if we were to sell. So why do we do it? There have been times I’ve wondered myself…but then I take it out on a cruise on a nice day and it provides an experience that takes me back to a time cars were more than just transportation, those of us laboring and spending on these cars are keeping a part of America alive that is fading fast. Computers didn’t exist when I was a young man, our television got 3 channels (and we only had 1), everything evolved around school, my part time job and my car. There were times I would take something apart on my car and put it back together just to occupy time and make sure it was perfect.

Yesterday my son and his 21 year old friend helped me clear several large tree limps that fell during our recent storm. We had an unusually nice day so after we finished the job I stunned the boys by tossing my son the Mach 1 keys (for the first time) and told them to take it for a spin. After a nail biting hour I heard the rumble of the car pulling into the garage. They both had ear to ear grins and my son said “Dad I get it”. That made all the labor I’ve put into the car worth it.

Great story!

My son gets a big kick driving the 73 Convertible, even though he has a 2001 Mustang Bullitt. My daughter loves driving my 2004 Mach 1, but is afraid of the long hood on the 73 and won't try it!

Everything cannot be explained by simple logic.

Why do I have 20+ guitars, most of them collectible or vintage? My wife never understood that, then she started to learn a few chords some time ago and after a few weeks she picked out two favorite guitars. That was when she "got" it too, when she realized that a guitar is not just another guitar and that once you get into it one single guitar won´t do.

Driving the Mustang is some kind of short vacation on a regular day. The world outside becomes less complicated, less important. It´s just me and the 8 cylinders. I don´t think that I have ever been in a bad mood when I was driving the Mustang.

You just sit there and you know that you could beat most peoples butts in their modern cars, enjoy the admiration you get (or the car gets) and just don´t care about the haters.

Maybe I´m lucky because my Mustang is very reliable and hardly ever causes me grief. My new cars need more attention than the Mustang. (The Fiat 500 burned 8 light bulbs in two and a half years, the Mustang not a single one in over ten years.)

Man, I´m waiting for that winter to pass......

I have never wondered "why bother" with old cars. I guess it because I like to modify my cars, so even with a new one, I still tinker/change all the time. I would just rather work on something that is unique, that you don't see on the road everyday.

I was 13 and bought a '57 chevy stepside truck.

I was 15 when I bought the Mustang.

I guess I "got it" right off the bat too.

We "bother" because they are just plain cool and we love them. :)

A lot of people don't get, they just see a car as transportation but I think that some (not all) cars take on more of a personality and gain character that no other car can have. Why bother with old cars, I ask why bother with new cars?

I've had it ever since I built my first engine back in 75 at 15. My 29 year old son got it last year when he took the 73 Chevelle I spent 2 years building for a drive and got into that .030 over 454! Hopefully we'll be able to build an engine together someday that he can see the results of his labor and get it even more.

I get it.. My wife doesn't get it... My daughter doesn't get it... my boys do not get it. Too bad for them, maybe someday!?
Jeff, I hear you, I've got a couple of friends that don't get, in fact one of my co-worker's wife thinks it's cars like ours causing the world's climate to change, she told me so, she hates what it stands for. (She's one of those Prius drivers in the fast lane driving 3 miles under the speed limit to slow everyone down) She feels old cars should have to pass the same safety and smog requirements as brand new cars or not be allowed on the road. On the other hand my wife gets it, she loves the cruises and fully supports every dime we put into it, in fact she's the one who encouraged me to buy it in first place. Sure makes life a lot easier when your wife is fully on board.

Kind of like falling in love. Can't explain why "this one" over any other. Just something about this Mach 1 that I'm in love with...

Besides, 40 year-old cars were designed so that we can work on 'em. Unlike today's...

Because they are COOL :cool: they have looks, style and performance

Bought this car because I needed a set of wheels, nothing more. Then I began to realize what I had. A 1971 M-code Grande with toploader, 1 of 100 made.

So we started a restoration project to bring the car back to specs. I forgot to mention, the car is REALLY fun to drive.

mike

I get it.. My wife doesn't get it... My daughter doesn't get it... my boys do not get it. Too bad for them, maybe someday!?
They will soon understand you! I might never have it but I can see how cool they are and their performance is unbeatable ! the looks? uhm... it's not bad but it's AWESOME. Someday, people (who don't appreciate it) will realized how great these cars are!

Jeff, I hear you, I've got a couple of friends that don't get, in fact one of my co-worker's wife thinks it's cars like ours causing the world's climate to change, she told me so, she hates what it stands for. (She's one of those Prius drivers in the fast lane driving 3 miles under the speed limit to slow everyone down) She feels old cars should have to pass the same safety and smog requirements as brand new cars or not be allowed on the road. On the other hand my wife gets it, she loves the cruises and fully supports every dime we put into it, in fact she's the one who encouraged me to buy it in first place. Sure makes life a lot easier when your wife is fully on board.
Please pass along to your "PRIUS" neighbor that my Mustang used all the fuel her prius will ever save this weekend and loved every minute of it

Now Jeff I am going to call BS on this one, there is no way that you are the smart one of the family:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back