Instrument Cluster Removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcgill89

Reaction score
My Car
None
Now that I've got a bunch of the issues sorted out on my '73, I figure I'd better get the left side of my cluster working. I don't think I can get it fixed by any means other than removing the cluster from the car.

I think my issues with the dead idiot lights and lumination on that side of the cluster can be traced back to the printed circuit and/or a faulty ground on that side. If it's the circuit, so be it. I'll buy a new one. I may get lucky if it's just a ground.

First thing is how to remove the cluster. I guess I have to take off the dash pad and remove the steering wheel?

Thanks for any advice from those who have taken the clusters out!

Joe

I just buttoned mine up yesterday. I wasn't able to lower the steering column like others, so I pulled the steering wheel. I had to replace the pc board and I replaced the lights with leds from superbright led's.

Was it tough to do the PC board? Are there any special electronic skills needed? I fear that is what I'm going to have to do with mine. I might as well put LED's in there too.

I just buttoned mine up yesterday. I wasn't able to lower the steering column like others, so I pulled the steering wheel. I had to replace the pc board and I replaced the lights with leds from superbright led's.

1/4" wrench is all that is needed. you need to disconnect the speedometer cable, pull out a 3/4" x 2" male connector. disconnect the alternator light socket which is wired seperately. tpull off the one pc board and add the new one. I also dissasembled each gauge to take out the colored lens

It's been a year or so since I removed my cluster, but I believe it was easier to remove the two bolts to lower the steering column and remove the dash pad for access from the top. Seems like the hardest part was figuring out how to release the speedo cable. Pretty straightforward otherwise.

My replaced the clear plastic lens on mine and it made a great improvement in the looks of the cluster. My old one was a little cloudy looking.

Fantastic! This weekend, I may dive into the cluster repair job. I may be able to save/repair the original printed circuit, but I don't hold out much hope.

They're only about $75 and that's a small price to pay for having dash lights again, LOL!

It's been a year or so since I removed my cluster, but I believe it was easier to remove the two bolts to lower the steering column and remove the dash pad for access from the top. Seems like the hardest part was figuring out how to release the speedo cable. Pretty straightforward otherwise.

My replaced the clear plastic lens on mine and it made a great improvement in the looks of the cluster. My old one was a little cloudy looking.

So, I tried to remove my cluster today and ran into major difficulties. I was able to get the dash pad off very easily, however, I couldnt' get the cluster facia (the plastic part) off. It is hanging up on some piece of trim on the steering column that is sewn together by a metal clip which I can't remove.

How did those of you who have done it, lower the steering column...was it just by loosening those nuts that look like they attach it to the body?

Thanks,

Joe

Fantastic! This weekend, I may dive into the cluster repair job. I may be able to save/repair the original printed circuit, but I don't hold out much hope.

They're only about $75 and that's a small price to pay for having dash lights again, LOL!

The metal clip slides off; can't remember if it's forwards or backwards. The nuts for the steering column are just below the plastic trim you can't get off.

I only saw two bigger nuts on there, but I only took a quick look.

I'll look again tonight when I get home from work.

Well, I got it out...not sure how I did it, but I did.

I think I broke that clip holding the trim piece on, but I'll repair that bridge in the future.

My findings are disturbing. I can't find ANY blown bulbs, nor does there appear to be any damage to any of the printed circuit. Only three of the lights work, the right turn signal, and the bulbs for the lower right of the speedo and the gas gauge.

I'm going to put a volt ohm meter to the plug, and see If I'm even getting any power to the various parts of the printed circuit.

This bothers me....I can put gauges in to make up for the temp and oil pressure lights, but I can't just rig up dash lighting.

Is there some sort of ground for the whole unit that I'm missing?

The steering column nuts are those big-ish ones on the long studs, right?

Ill willing to bet that you have faulty grounds on the sockets. Remove all of the twist.in lights and.clean the.contacts with sandpaper. Make them shiny again. And clean on the printed.circuit where the.twist in contacts make contact to the printed.circuit. none of my lights worked until i did that.

When I purchased my 73 someone had added a ground wire tapped into the ground running to the printed circuit board. When I removed the added wire I lost my dash lights.

I traced the ground to the iginiton switch where I found one of the studs broken off that holds the igniton switch onto the steering post. I added a clip lead there for a lnew ground and the lights started working. I than removed the steering post and had the stud welded on which cured my light problem

Ill willing to bet that you have faulty grounds on the sockets. Remove all of the twist.in lights and.clean the.contacts with sandpaper. Make them shiny again. And clean on the printed.circuit where the.twist in contacts make contact to the printed.circuit. none of my lights worked until i did that.

Hi Mike,

This is my car now and I'm attempting to fix this issue, I will start taking it apart and doing some checks.

I may be asking for some advice on exactly what you did, sounds like you cleared it up nicely.

Thanks

Dan

Back