New to 7173 mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Conv, 460 V8, 1940 Cadillac 62 series, 1961 cadillac 62 series, 1972 VW beetle
Working on a 73 Mustang Conv. Car started out as 302 2V/C4, however I bought a 69 Mark III for the engine and trans. Bodywork is just about finished and Im thinking toward the prwertrain. Does anyone have experience in installing a 385 series (429/460) into this car. any information would be appreciated. (313) 268 1745 verizonwireless or. [email protected] thanks Billy

Imported Photos 00018.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forums! Looks like you have a great project on your hands! Keep us posted with lots of photos!!

::welcome::

WELCOME aboard and I am really glad to see you made it over from 460ford.com!

I, too, went through the conversion to a 460 (472) on a '73 Grande. I am currently replacing a 428CJ in my 73 Mach I with a 545. I would say the best approach is to use the one that Doc (a member of this site) is using - - work the conversion by systems. That is engine, cooling system, drive train, and electrical.

With the information you have garnered from 460ford.com, I would imagine you have the engine part really well nailed down. Believe it or not, parts are ready available for the install by using Autozone, NAPA or one of the other stores - - you just have to tell them that the part you are looking for is for a 1971 Mustang with a 429SCJ. That will take care of things like motor mounts, frame mounts, radiators and the like. Some things like rear end chunks are readily available from the salvage yard (you probably have an 8" in your current rear end).

As you go through each "system", post up questions on the appropriate forum and you will get the responses you need. There are a lot of "small" things to be concerned with which makes it easier to work it by systems, rather than just throwing a lot of information out there at one time. For example, I used the "stock" cooling systems for a 1971 429SCJ on my 472 but I am going with a Lincoln Mark VIII electric fan on the 545. The 472 was a "learning experience" for me.

Anyway, more to come as we get more into the specifics on the forums.

Again, my SINCERE welcome - - you have found a home!

BT

thanks to everyone, feels like home!!!

Don't forget to ask us about parts. We always seem to have a few left over...
speaking of parts....I have the OEM non NASA hood if someone needs it...also have the orig 302 with C4 trans and the 8" rear end if someone needs it....the motor has less than 1000 miles on rebuild .30 over RV can eldebrock performer intake and eldebrock 650 cfm 4 V. If someone could use these parts they are available along with OEM intake and carb 313 268 1745 Verizsonwireless or [email protected] Thanks Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back