1973 front bumper

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmuil

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
I have seen some discussion on the replacement of standard 73 front bumper with a 72 chrome bumper- has anyone been successful? is it worth the effort? I am a new member, if you have any suggestions please let me know

Thanks

I have seen some discussion on the replacement of standard 73 front bumper with a 72 chrome bumper- has anyone been successful? is it worth the effort? I am a new member, if you have any suggestions please let me know

Thanks
I am also contemplating this swap. Yes it can be done but it is not a bolt on. In addition to the bumper you will need the brackets which will need to be modified (see pictures) as well as the bumper backing plate and hardware. A 71-72 front valance will also have to be adapted. It may also be possible to adapt a 73 valance but I am not sure. The following pictures were graciously provided by a fellow 73 owner on VMF. I hope he doesn't mind me reposting them here.

DCP_3621.jpg

DCP_3622.jpg

DCP_7564.jpg

DCP_7563.jpg

DCP_7562.jpg

Welcome to the site!

I think Greengold73 has the chrome bumper on his convertible. I'm not sure if he changed the fenders too.

It's not that member but I do remember a 73 convert that color with the chrome bumper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard! You should be able to find everything you need to know in our pages! Plenty of helpful folk to guide you along as well!

Enjoy!::welcome::

Welcome to the site. The original 73 bumpers can be repaired unless you just want the change in style. Should be several threads here about repairing if you search.

Nice post, Tommy. When I was a teacher, we would borrow, trade, and "steal" each other's ideas all the time, rather than try to design a new mouse trap every day. With '71 - '73 Mustangs, I hope it's the same. I doubt that the original poster would take offense. :goodpost:

Doc

Hello,

it looks good...

2a12e1.jpg

Claus

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mike,

I like this front view a lot.

It was not easy to mount the chrome bumper but now I`am happy with it.

thanks for notice,

Claus

Thanks
A company call Crities sells fiber glass 73 bumpers and alluminum brakets

they look nice and easy to install. BUT if you realy want a chrome bumper you can fit it. You will need to chop cut and weld the bumper brakets. I think the chrome bumper looks good when it is put on

tight to the fenders and grill.(No gaps)

use the 69 70 brackets and drill new holes for them in frame rail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back