Headliner install info

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stock429

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang coupe
I bought a headliner from Ohio Mustang. They were on E-bay for $29. I might try to install it myself. Is there a source for info on how to install these, or maybe even a video? I have the seats out of the car.

To do it right, you'll have to have the back window out. When I did mine, it was a royal pain. I used some small clamps to stretch it along the side windows, a heat gun to carefully heat it to stretch tight, and some weatherstrip adhesive to hold the sides in place while I put the mouldings back on. It turned out nice, but in retrospect, I would've given the interior guy the $150 he wanted to do it for me.

Steve

It is a major PITA in my opinion. It can be done but, I did it once in 1983 and swore to never do it again. My advice is to do the preliminary disassembly work (trim, visors, sail panels, dome light, shoulder belts etc.) Pay a glass pro to pop and reinstall the glass, and pay a pro headliner installer. Not only is it a PITA but, the risk of an undesirable outcome is high. Just one opinion. Chuck

My brother and I installed the headliner in his Boss 302. It took us 8hrs. It was not fun. We used allot of wood close line clips. A week later we installed the front and rear glass. I will pay to have my Mach 1 done.

Headliners are a royal pita , I've done them in other vintage cars w/o removing front or rear glass but it took a loooong time and alot of tweeking, my advice is if yours is not too bad leave it otherwise higher a pro to do it and save yourself future grief

AJ

I did mine myself to keep in my budget and because I wanted to do everything myself I possibly could, so as a 14 year old kid I was expecting some imperfections. I have 2 nice stretch marks running to the back window. It was a whole Saturday, and it was definitely frustrating sometimes.

The article David posted up is great. If I had to add a couple of things, first would be to make sure you know exactly where the retaining rods go. If they are not in their exact spots, you will have a long battle with them getting it to fit right. Also, heat will help you out. I let mine soak up the summer heat before even touching it.

Stretch, measure, and measure again before cutting. The first thing I did was measure everything inside the car, then some very loose cutting of the headliner with 6 inches hanging off everywhere. You will think you have a corner all figured out, but it will change as soon as you move somewhere else. The very last thing I did was trim excess off. I glued it all in and then used an exacto knife to trim it along the edges, but somehow it shrunk in on me and my front is still a little short. The front trim barely covers it. Last is patience. If there is something you are not satisfied with, play with it to make it fit right before gluing. Slice the rod sleeves, pull a corner & heat it up, but dont glue a corner thinking that you just need this corner solid and will make it look right by stretching the next one.

I used some super headliner adhesive from mustangsplus and it worked well. But two bottle of it though, just in case if that's what you use.

I'm not sure how the back window vs. Headliner will work in a mach, as I did a coupe. If you decide to do it yourself, good luck and have fun. If you pay someone else, you have someone to yell at for screwups. :p

Use the spray adhesive. It is more forgiving. When I did mine I did not take the windows out and it came out pretty good.If the original headliner is in there be careful when you take it down. The old insulation makes a big mess. When I did it I figured what do I have to lose. It only cost around $30.00 Do not buy the insulation for it. You can use carpet padding.Its a lot cheaper.Good luck

Did mine without the glass and it worked flawlessly. Fisrt thing you need to do is find the center mark of your rear and front windshield lips, then find the center of the headliner (fold it in half and mark it on the up side) I used old windlace from a 60's mustang that i cut up in 50 pieces i clamped down the front and rear first then the sides. You may have to cut the headliner bow sleeves up the middle at the ends a little bit so that it gives you the arched look where it meets the sides of the car. Best to do this by placings the rods in evenly and cutting a slit about 1 1/4 inch at the end of each sleeve. YOu may have the cut a little more on the veery rear bow. Install the bows, bring it center and glue front and rear center down. Clamp the rest of the front and rearnow start on the middle of each side pull it tight and clamp. THe closers you work and pull where the stitches for the bows are the better off you are. You will have to make a few "V" cuts for the rear window. THe last headliner rod is the worst becasue of those 2 hooks that hold the bow in place. you want to make absolute sure you are centered there and are wrinkle free in between both hooks. once you have it stretched andwhere you want it go to the windshield and start gluing. Then move to the back then the sides. I used 3m weather stripping glue. Make sure you leave in the scres for your visors, belt holders (coat hooks) dome light bezel and take note which screw supplies the power, youll know it when you see it. The last thing the do are the tack strips in the back where the sail panels are. This is all finger tip work, I suggest bending the sharp tacks out toward you a tad beforee doing this. To tack it all you do is pull the fabric tightly and allow it to spring back up hitting the tacks. You may have to puch down in the tacks with your fingers in order for the tack to puncj through the new head liner. Start at the fraont and work your way back. Itll take a few tried with the take stripes but once you get the hang of it it will be over before you know it. After your done use a single edged razor blade to cut an "X" inthe the screws that you left in place for your accessories.

Goodluck and have fun. Its not as hard as it may sound. And heat helps with wrinkles and making the headliner easier to work with.

headliner 002.JPGI got it done today. With the glass in place. I removed the old headliner, and insulation. The insulation was chewed up (by mice), but home depot had a similar , better product. Spray glued it on and tucked i the edges. The back window was done by tucking the fabric under the rubber by lifting it with a philips screwdriver. I started in the middle front to back, and then started on the sides. Patience and 3M industrial spray glue. The price was right and turned out good.

I got it done today. With the glass in place. I removed the old headliner, and insulation. The insulation was chewed up (by mice), but home depot had a similar , better product. Spray glued it on and tucked i the edges. The back window was done by tucking the fabric under the rubber by lifting it with a philips screwdriver. I started in the middle front to back, and then started on the sides. Patience and 3M industrial spray glue. The price was right and turned out good.
Pics or it didn't happen!

I got it done today. With the glass in place. I removed the old headliner, and insulation. The insulation was chewed up (by mice), but home depot had a similar , better product. Spray glued it on and tucked i the edges. The back window was done by tucking the fabric under the rubber by lifting it with a philips screwdriver. I started in the middle front to back, and then started on the sides. Patience and 3M industrial spray glue. The price was right and turned out good.
Pics or it didn't happen!
LOL thata boy:cool:

I think you need to remove the front and rear windows.

We are about to do this to my car so let us know how it turns out.

mike
I did mine with the windows in and it looks good. That was 2 years ago

You guys make me feel better. I tried the first one on my '69 Mach and failed miserably. I bought another and paid professionals to do it the second time. On another board I go to, everyone makes it sound so easy. Thanks everybody!

Back