eastwood welders any good?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

87fox72mach

Reaction score
My Car
1995 firebird rebuilt motor 5 spd dail driver
1987 grand wagoneer plow truck
1987 mustang lx 5.0 work custom engine bay and paint
1972 mach 1 project
im looking at buying a gas mig welder and i see eastwood has one for 339.00 i need to weld floor pans and cowl patches in my car, has anyone ever used one of these welders?, ive been searching locally for a used mig within the 300-400 price range and cant find anything, atleast that hasnt sold already!

I bought an eastwood mig welder about a year and half ago, and its awsome. I bought the 220volt version and it even came with a free spool gun for welding aluminum. I have welded a ton with mine and have not had one issue with mine yet. I did my floor pans, my parents rocker panels, welded some patches in my nephews 74 mustang tonight. One of the best bang for your buck tools i have purchased recently. I give it 2 thumbs up. And it comes with a 3 year warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
was it the 135 amp? for 330? i plan on using gas did you?

No it was the 170 for around 500. And yes I used gas. The 130 is only 110 volt. It would work ok for doing body panels. Need little more power for bigger stuff.

I got the Eastwood 135. Using it with gas and works awesome with the sheet metal work I'm doing on the Mach 1.

Rich

soundsw like a decent machine, i know as soon as i buy one ill find something locally cheap, what thickness can you weld up to with this?

also do these ever go on sale at all? i get eastwoods emails all the time but havent seen them on sale, but i think im going to go this route!

You should be able to weld up to 1/4. They do go on sale once on a while. But their price is pretty good to begin with. Sometimes have 10 percent. Off.

I bought mine from their eBay store. They had free shipping at the time for the same price as their regular website. They may have the same deal (though I haven't checked for a while).

Alex, remember that no matter what welder you buy use .025 solid wire with the proper shielding gas, rather than a flux core wire without shield gas.

it will weld everything at least 100x better

Just thought I would add to this old thread....

I was using my eastwood 175 mig the other day and could not get the trigger on the torch to work. I messed with it and messed with it but nothing. I plugged in the control cord for the spool gun and did get my torch to work. We had an emergency repair to do to my crossmember on my work car. So my buddy would hit the trigger of the spool gun and I would tell him when to hit and when to let off while I welded with the standard torch. It was tough but got the job done.

So today I call up eastwood to ask about a new trigger assembly or torch assembly. Told them the trouble I had and they looked up my account and said "No problem its still under warranty." Apparently I had 2 weeks left on my 3 year bumper to bumper warranty for the welder. He verified my info and I now have a new torch and hose assembly coming to my house free of charge!!! I have used this welder WAY more than your average DIYer. Has never failed or let me down, welds great and now I know has a great support for the warranty!!

If anyone is one the fence about a good quality, fair priced welder I would definitely recommend the Eastwood 175. Not sure how miller or Lincoln warranties stack up against Eastwoods 3 year no hassle warranty, but for the money you cant beat it. Just my $ .02 for you guys!!!

Have a good day!

Just thought I would add to this old thread....

I was using my eastwood 175 mig the other day and could not get the trigger on the torch to work. I messed with it and messed with it but nothing. I plugged in the control cord for the spool gun and did get my torch to work. We had an emergency repair to do to my crossmember on my work car. So my buddy would hit the trigger of the spool gun and I would tell him when to hit and when to let off while I welded with the standard torch. It was tough but got the job done.

So today I call up eastwood to ask about a new trigger assembly or torch assembly. Told them the trouble I had and they looked up my account and said "No problem its still under warranty." Apparently I had 2 weeks left on my 3 year bumper to bumper warranty for the welder. He verified my info and I now have a new torch and hose assembly coming to my house free of charge!!! I have used this welder WAY more than your average DIYer. Has never failed or let me down, welds great and now I know has a great support for the warranty!!

If anyone is one the fence about a good quality, fair priced welder I would definitely recommend the Eastwood 175. Not sure how miller or Lincoln warranties stack up against Eastwoods 3 year no hassle warranty, but for the money you cant beat it. Just my $ .02 for you guys!!!

Have a good day!
Hey guys I know this is an old thread but I thought I would update it once again with my experience with eastwood. I cannot say enough GOOD things about them. Their customer service is top notch and they definitely stand behind their products. A very RARE thing for companies these days! Also they are located in my state!! :)

Anyhow, here's the newest story with my welder eastwood 175 Mig welder. I was repairing a wheel well on my buddies Ford escape the other day and my fan on the back of the welder that keeps the control board cool started making some noise. I looked it over and it was just touching the cover and making a noise. I messed with it a bit and found that it was touching because the bearing in the motor had went bad and it was wobbling around. I was able to finish the job and the welder still worked fine just noisy.

The following day I call up Eastwood to see if they offer a replacement fan that I can swap out. I know that my 3 year warranty ran out in Feb of this year so I figured I would have to pay for the fan, no big deal. Well the guy tells me that for a one time courtesy they can exchange my welder for a brand new one for FREE!!! WHAT??? he said the only other claim I had against my welder was the trigger a few months ago and they sent me a whole new torch then FREE. Now he gets my info again and sends a fedex label to pick up my old welder and my Brand NEW FREE EASTWOOD MIG 175 welder is on its way to my house!!!!! How freaking cool is that????? My warranty expired 5 months ago and they still stood by their product!! I would have been happy with a new fan LOL :D I would like to see what Lincoln or miller would say 3 years and 5 months after your original purchase! My machine still welded absolutely perfectly and I wasn't at all upset about the fan. My welder has a TON of hours on it. So just a heads up if anyone is one the fence about purchasing a new welder, I HIGHLY recommend an Eastwood welder!!! Just thought I would share that with you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now THAT is how a business should treat its customers. Some of us (like OMS) follow that path; it's the only way to do business.

That's what I think too. And I wasn't even upset about the 2 small problems I did have. I chalked it up to use and abuse! I have definitely used my welder way more than the average DIYer. A ton of hours are on that machine. Just cant wait to get my new one. Should be here Saturday or Monday.

Latest posts

Back