Which intake for 351C 2V heads?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Conv; 1 of 17; 351C, 2V, Auto
Looking to just add a 4v carb to my stock 351C 2v setup.

Car has dual exhaust and 3.0 rear.

No plans for Cam or any other performance upgrade.

Which intake should I use for my application, Edelbrock performer 2750 or Air Gap 7564?

Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same questions recently, and after some discussion here, and with a friend that builds racing motors, I have decided to go with the following:

Edelbrock 7564 Airgap

Holley 8045 600cfm

Comp Cam Kit K32-221-3 .494 Lift, 268 duration

also will have the heads cleaned and ported and valve work done.

According to the computer numbers:

Stock->Ported with new Goodies

HP 220 @4000 rpm->HP 374 @ 5500 rpm

AVG HP 51.5->AVG HP 108

Tq 330 @ 3000rpm->Tq 407 @4000 rpm

Avg Tq 93.3->AVG Tq 150

Quite an improvement. Plus I purchased from Olie his 31 spline, 3.50 Traction-Lok setup, so she should have a little more

"giddy-up" when finished!

Just one thing you might want to think about. If you do go with the airgap you will not be adding ram air in the future. It will sit too high even without spacers. I went with the edelbrock performer and the 4106 I think. It had the electric choke and the ports for vacuum advance like the original. Also 600CFM. BTW I did go with the ram air and a 1/2 spacer and everything fit perfectly.

Hey f117rt - first thing we need to know is how you plan to use your car. Daily driver and need gas mileage, weekend cruiser doing a few burnouts, occasional strip racer, all of the above? With no cam and stock exhaust I'm thinking you just want a little more bottom end to get going quicker? Let us know and we might be able to provide a better recommendation.

Doc

Just one thing you might want to think about. If you do go with the airgap you will not be adding ram air in the future. It will sit too high even without spacers. I went with the edelbrock performer and the 4106 I think. It had the electric choke and the ports for vacuum advance like the original. Also 600CFM. BTW I did go with the ram air and a 1/2 spacer and everything fit perfectly.
Wow, that is good to know since I was thinking about adding Ram Air!

I guess that it's the Performer 2750!

Thanks for the info.

Hey f117rt - first thing we need to know is how you plan to use your car. Daily driver and need gas mileage, weekend cruiser doing a few burnouts, occasional strip racer, all of the above? With no cam and stock exhaust I'm thinking you just want a little more bottom end to get going quicker? Let us know and we might be able to provide a better recommendation.

Doc
Just a weekend cruiser; no track. need a little more oomph in case a Honda Civic pulls up at the light:D

I am very happy with the standard performer intake. It sounds like our goals are alike, just a nice driver.
+1. I've got an Edelbrock Performer 2750 coupled with a Holley 80457 carb. I haven't fired it up yet, but my research showed that these are great combinations for our 2V Clevelands.

Doc

I AM RUNNING A PERFORMER INTAKE AND A HOLLEY 700 DOUBLE PUMPER AND THEY SEEM TO WORK GREAT TOGETHER. I HAVE MY HEADS PORTED AND MACHINED FOR SCREW IN STUDS AND HARLAND SHARP ROLLER ROCKERS. SET OF LONG TUBE HEADERS AND NICE HEALTHY CAM. IT RUNS GREAT AND HAS SOME GOOD TORQUE WITH E 3.73 GEARS IT WILL GO.

I would also suggest the performer manifold.

I have a Model A coupe with a cleveland and an air gap manifold and it . The air gap does not have exhaust heating cross over and it is very cold blooded until warmed up.

Good luck with your project.

Problems you can expect to have with an aftermarket manifold/carb.

1. Gas line hose is on opposite side of carburetor. Fuel line running across manifold always looks like crap. Can someone explain to me why they can't make a carburetor with a driver side fuel line?

2. Throttle linkage won't match. I spent way to much time making sure I had a good, safe throttle linkage.

I would go to ebay, get a cloned aluminum 351 Boss intake manifold for a few hundred bucks, mount a decent Autolite which will match your linkage and keep the fuel line off your manifold.

I know, I am old and crusty. Read my intro.

I would go to ebay, get a cloned aluminum 351 Boss intake manifold for a few hundred bucks, mount a decent Autolite which will match your linkage and keep the fuel line off your manifold.

I know, I am old and crusty. Read my intro.
Can't believe no one called me out on this....a Ford 351 BOSS or 4V intake would not work on a 351C with 2V heads because the ports don't match...DON'T DO THIS.

IMHO, putting the intake manifold and 4v carb on your car without changing the cam should/may lead to the same result- an engine that may sound better, but is actually not running very well.

Your 351 2V heads and cam were made for the 2V manifold and 2V carb you are running. If I were you...and I understand wanting to put that beautiful new, shiny, clean manifold and 4c carb on your car...I would not do this swap until I could also at least swap the cam....and if I were going to swap the cam, if the heads had not yet been rebuilt, I would take off the heads and have them redone as well....and then you should think about recurving your distributor.

But, that is why I can't get anything done. I just don't know when to stop.

Also, I can't speak for the Holley fuel line rerouting kit, or throttle. I can tell you the one for the Eldebrock was garbage. I ended up making my own(I just can't stop).

Can't believe no one called me out on this....a Ford 351 BOSS or 4V intake would not work on a 351C with 2V heads because the ports don't match...DON'T DO THIS.

We know, just a polite group. Chuck

We know, just a polite group. Chuck
It actually would work but not as well as a properly designed one the guys at network 54 used to recommend the Weiland xcelarator I have a cast iron 2v to 4 barrel bet most of you ain't seen 1 of them I believe they're from oz

It depends on the perfomance your looking for. As you stated in the beginning. You can get a great 4 barrel carb set up for 2V heads. No problem. Let people know exactly what your cam specs are, piston size and compession, and the exhaust system you want to have or do have and heigth your working with. No problem!

If your looking for a cheap and dirty way of getting the most bang for your buck you can install a 2v to 4v adapter plate from any speed shop or even pep boys carries them, and a aftermarket air cleaner with a 3 inch drop bottom plate it all fits nicely under the hood runs great and its quick,cheap and easy!

Back