Tires on 14" Keystone Klassics

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
351c 2v
Edelbrock 4bbl, Performer Intake
Ram-Air
Pertronix Electronic Ignition
Ok so he ride above 65 is really bumpy so I brought the wheels in to be rotated. Looks like leaving tires from 1978 sitting for 15 years undriven will put a flat spot in them. Well I had em balanced as best as I could but I need new tires. What do I get?

Last edited by a moderator:
ah yes the bands in the tires will bend and very bad things will happen like when i had a blow out at 65mph on the highway.

i ended up with cooper cobra tires.

Tires are like what type of oil to use in your motor. in the end its up to you and the cost.

Kyle,

I agree with 72HCODE and NANCE but considering (what I believe) is your attempt to maintain originality with your Mustang I would suggest that you check out "Coker Tires" as they are making a number of tires to mimic the size of the ones found on our original Classic.

I understand Coker is also building tires in these sizes in radials. I believe a number of the major suppliers, Summit, JEGs and possibly some of the Mustang 'houses" carry the tires.

Hope this helps.

BT

First, sorry for the shoddy grammar in the first post. Did it from my phone and editing is pretty much out the window.

Originality is definitely a major point for me. As you can see the tires are definitely older. I am not scared to reap the benefits of the modern though. I'll check out those sites. Thanks for the responses all.

Another quick question. What sizes am I looking for. I know the wheels are 14" but how do I know what sized tires I can get on them?

dsc00078gq.jpg

Ok I think I answered one question. The size FR60-14 is a 14 inch 60 series tire which corresponds to a modern 235/60R14 so one question down.

Originality is definitely a major point for me.
Why put original style tires on non-original rims? Sure, Keystone Klassics are period correct, but not original to the car. Don't get me wrong, I think they look perfect on the car. A set of BFG Radial T/A will be fine.

71Mach351 what size rims and tires do you have on your Mach 1 ?
245/60/15 BFG's on 15x7 rims on the Mach.

The convertible has Keystone Klassics 225/60/15 front on 15x6 rims

and 245/60/15 on 15x7 rims out back. I'd prefer the same size all around but I got a great deal on the Keystones.

Ok so I found that there really are two options with the wheels I have on the car and I've decided to go with the BFGoodrich Radial A/T. Now the label on all 4 tires clearly says FR60-14. I'm taking this as a clue that all the tires are in fact the same size and replacing them with 235/60R14 all around should fit. Cause I don't wanna drop that kind of money and then be calling myself stupid forever.

Originality is definitely a major point for me.
Why put original style tires on non-original rims? Sure, Keystone Klassics are period correct, but not original to the car. Don't get me wrong, I think they look perfect on the car. A set of BFG Radial T/A will be fine.

71Mach351 what size rims and tires do you have on your Mach 1 ?
245/60/15 BFG's on 15x7 rims on the Mach.

The convertible has Keystone Klassics 225/60/15 front on 15x6 rims

and 245/60/15 on 15x7 rims out back. I'd prefer the same size all around but I got a great deal on the Keystones.
Got a photo of your Mach 1 on level ground ?

Got a photo of your Mach 1 on level ground ?
Nance,

I'll have to check for recent photos since I replaced the rear springs last year which raised the rear by 3 inches. Check this video and freeze frame it if you think there's a good view. I'll check my files for something recent.

Check my photobucket. There might be something there. http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x6/71mach351/Mustangs/

Back