Is the 1971-73 Vert the best looking one?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicsguy

Reaction score
My Car
1968 GT/CS California Special
I recently started to get into liking the 1971-73 Mustang convertible and looking at the prospect of owning one but to be Honest; there was a time back where I see them at shows although not many when I thought that they were the "ugliest" due to their shape and size. I have always believed that the 1965-68 Convertibles were the best looking classic Mustangs.My first Mustang was a 1967 convertible about 15 years ago.

What do you guys/gals think: Is the 1971-73 the BEST LOOKING Mustang convertible?

I guess my answer is biased because I've owned my 73 Convertible since 1974. Prior to buying my 73 I had owned a 66 Mustang 289 Coupe and a 70 Mustang Sportsroof with the 351. I sold a 69 Firebird with a 350 engine to purchase my 73 Convertible with a 6 cylinder. What drew me to the 73 Convertible was the appearance and stance, despite the small engine, I had to have it. I believe the exterior Decor Option on the convertible is what made the car stand out to me. I've never grown tired of the looks of my 73 Convertible and I personally like the white/black color combination. So to answer your question, I think the 71/73's are the best looking ones!

DSCF0820.jpg

DSCF0818.jpg

DSCF0811.jpg

DSCF0812.jpg

I guess I'm a litte biased towards them also my friend had a 67 vert and he said that my 73 was a better driving car.
With the top down? No question: Yes!

No offense to the "vert" guys but I've always leaned to the more practical side and will probably never own one. For me, the novelty wears off real quick in the boiling hot sun or with wind noise on the interstate!

I've always enjoyed the looks of the verts with the top up, more than down. Now, on the other hand the original Shelby Cobra with no top might be fun for the occasional Sunday drive...

Well the early verts 64 to 67 are cool but not very muscle car looking.

I love the the 68 to 70 vert look, tough and sleek.

But when I see a really nice 71 to 73 vert dressed up nice, it just make me think that this was the crowning jewel of the mustang designers and last of the real muscle cars.

There is not very many mustangs in subsequent years that really make such a bold statement, maybe not until recently anyways.

Unarguably, definitely YES! :D

I wrote that before, but I think that the 65-70 ones look better as Fastbacks or Coupes. Those verts tend to look like their upper part is missing.

The 71-73 Convertible looks like it was designed to be a convertible.

Plus it is the the only ragtop that looks really good with the top up. Even better than with the top down. The "roofline" of the soft top is simply inherently consistent.

And I think that these cars blend in with the classic Muscle Car convertible shape like Cudas, Challengers, etc.

My preferences as far as body styles go:

Coupes: 65-68

Fastbacks: 69-73

Convertibles: 71-73 only!

But you may have guessed, I might be biased.... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Classicguy... it DEFINITELY is....

I´m posting even if i dont particulary liked convertible cars what so ever... BUT... Come on... the display of Mikes white vert, or the other mike (luxstang) with his gorgeaus yellow (definitely the baddest ass looking vert with the top on!!)...

For me, this is one of the few classic american car designs of vert that actually works

I like the '71-'73s the best - they aren't 'flat' like the previous models. Also, if you squint real hard, you can almost see some similarities (in profile mostly) between the '71-'73s and the Ferrari 365 GTS Daytona Spyders.

I also like 'em top up or top down - although I really, REALLY like the quarter windows with the top up. I wish they would've made the quarter windows for the fastbacks a little tighter at the top and more triangular shaped like the 'verts - would've looked awesome, I think.

The only possible exception for me would be the 69/70 shelby's. I really like how those look. For production cars the 71-73 was best looking drop top with the cleanest lines.

I like them better, with or without top.

fenders have some nicer lines, and windshield is raked back more
Speaking of nice verts, this is one of the verts that inspired me to buy a vert.

Back