72 Q-Code Mach Resto

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx-skydiver

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q-Code
Ok folks

After several years of sitting on this project I have got the car stripped of all parts, wires, and everything else that can be removed.

I have a soda blast quote of $900 with some rust spot fixes as needed for under $1,000. I may try to do those myself though.

Then its welding in new panels such as qtrs, tail light assembly, front engine area pieces and wheel liners.

I'm starting to get excited about this again.

Man, that is quite a project. I hereby promise to avoid complaining about suspension rebuild frustrations and lengthy To-Do lists as much as possible.

Please keep us posted. It actually sounds like some fun.

Doc

Man, that is quite a project. I hereby promise to avoid complaining about suspension rebuild frustrations and lengthy To-Do lists as much as possible.

Please keep us posted. It actually sounds like some fun.

Doc
Its a bigger project than I expected to take on, but you klnow how easy it is when you remove a part. All of a sudden you are removing what is under it...then teh next...the next...and so on... eventually you end up like this.

IMAG0049.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0051.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0054.jpg

Looking good! Glad your back at it! Keep us updated as you go!

how well does the soda blast strip the car down? I have been trying to decide between that or an acid dip for my car when the time comes.
I don't know. I've heard it both ways. some say that a s blast AND a dip are essential if the car has any rust. Others say that a blast is sufficient. I know I can get my blast for $900 where the combo will cost $2300. Not sure if it is worth it to dip.

Soda blast will remove all paint layers and rust. It will not remove Bondo, fiberglass or sound deadener. The plus to soda is that you do not remove glass or chrome. it is very gentile.

how well does the soda blast strip the car down? I have been trying to decide between that or an acid dip for my car when the time comes.
I don't know. I've heard it both ways. some say that a s blast AND a dip are essential if the car has any rust. Others say that a blast is sufficient. I know I can get my blast for $900 where the combo will cost $2300. Not sure if it is worth it to dip.

Soda blast will remove all paint layers and rust. It will not remove Bondo, fiberglass or sound deadener. The plus to soda is that you do not remove glass or chrome. it is very gentile.
I think a dip would be the way to go for me then, being as the car will be completely disassembled when I do it, and I know there is some fiberglass/bondo on a few parts of the car.

I had my daughters 77 MustangII soda blasted and I was real satisfied with the job that was I will get pics of it and post them. Just have to figure out how to post more than one pic.

Coilwire

I think a dip would be the way to go for me then, being as the car will be completely disassembled when I do it, and I know there is some fiberglass/bondo on a few parts of the car.
I may be wrong, but I don't think a dip clears Bondo and such. I believe (everyone correct me if I am wrong) heaver media blasting is the only thing to rid the vehicle of this unless you do it by hand. A chemical dip will only ensure the rust is removed from everywhere the soda did not reach and/or penetrate.

I was under the impression that dipping removed everything from the vehicle, rust, bondo, ect. I think I'm gonna end up going with the soda blast anyways, because I see they can come to you and do it at your own garage.

Back