Upper quater splice advise

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M Beauchamp

Reaction score
My Car
1973 light blue convertible
351c 2V
OK guys, I am looking for a little advise on where to cut and butt weld the upper quarters

Feb 19-12 011.JPG

Here are my thoughts:

Re-use the coupe's upper section at the quarter window because the first 10" are exactly the same as the convertible.

Feb 19-12 012.JPG

This part I think is a no brainer as it stays the same

Cut from the quarter window to about the middle of the wheel at the upper edge.

Feb 19-12 013.JPG

Here I am worried that its hard to get to the back side to clean up, and maybe hard to dolly around if the metal moves.

I could drop this cut lower.

From the middle to the back would be cut at the coupes upper edge (this is lower than the convertible)

Feb 19-12 014.JPG

Here I am to to worried because the back is open and i can clean it up and use a dolly

OK guys, I am looking for a little advise on where to cut and butt weld the upper quarters

Here are my thoughts:

Re-use the coupe's upper section at the quarter window because the first 10" are exactly the same as the convertible.

Here I am worried that its hard to get to the back side to clean up, and maybe hard to dolly around if the metal moves.

From the middle to the back would be cut at the coupes upper edge (this is lower than the convertible)

Here I am to to worried because the back is open and i can clean it up and use a dolly
Here's my thought..BEFORE splicing anything..I would try to get the vert qtrs off in 1 piece..At all the factory attaching points..You could leave a portion of the outer wheelhouse on for now, same at the door jamb..same at trunk dropoff..Once it's off then worry about removing those factory spot welded areas.

Here are my thoughts:

Here's my thought..BEFORE splicing anything..I would try to get the vert qtrs off in 1 piece..At all the factory attaching points..You could leave a portion of the outer wheelhouse on for now, same at the door jamb..same at trunk dropoff..Once it's off then worry about removing those factory spot welded areas.
yes but the vert 1/4s are bad on the bottom front and bottom back

Feb 19-12 015.JPG

Feb 19-12 016.JPG

if they where good i would take them off as one piece.

Last edited by a moderator:

Here are my thoughts:

yes but the vert 1/4s are bad on the bottom front and bottom back

if they where good i would take them off as one piece.
Got it..Ok then I would follow the upper body line about 2-4 inches down NOT a straight cut like you marked out ..& I would leave the front 10 inches of the coupe panel on it's a no brainer like you said Opps just realized you can't do that since to cut the coupe roof off you had to go lower than that line..Humm Need to see some more pics of the backside

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a top down shot of the vert quarters

Feb 19-12 036.JPG

Here is the inside of the vert quarters at the top well

Feb 19-12 031.JPG

Here you can see the re-enforcing at the top of the quarters

Feb 19-12 032.JPG

Here is a shot right above the wheelhouse

Feb 19-12 035.JPG

Here is a shot above the wheel house from the truck area

Feb 19-12 034.JPG

I plan to take the quarter tops, the deck lid, the interior quarter panel, the interior seat support, along with the support brackets all in one piece.

I would then fit / align / screw everything in place temporarily

At this point I could take the interior quarter panel, the seat support and the re-enforcing ring back off so I could get to the back of the weld on the quarters

Finish the quarters, then re-install the balance

Here is a top down shot of the vert quarters

Here is the inside of the vert quarters at the top well

Here you can see the re-enforcing at the top of the quarters

Here is a shot right above the wheelhouse

Here is a shot above the wheel house from the truck area

I plan to take the quarter tops, the deck lid, the interior quarter panel, the interior seat support, along with the support brackets all in one piece.

I would then fit / align / screw everything in place temporarily

At this point I could take the interior quarter panel, the seat support and the re-enforcing ring back off so I could get to the back of the weld on the quarters

Finish the quarters, then re-install the balance
That sounds Like a good plan looking at the pictures..Just make sure to leave more than you think you need..Then my famous "Sneak up on the final cut technique" Even if that means making many multiple cuts ! I would also do the final cut on the qtrs the same way I did my floors..check the vid

Back